Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Sunny days

It's a beautiful Spring day here and we are making the most of tidying up the garden and sitting under the gazebo.   Summer is well and truly on the way and it won't be long before it will be too hot to do anything but water the garden.

The dogs are recovering well from their ops.  Sammy is still trying to get to Megan so I think the scent of the season that was about to start before her op may last for a while yet.  Mehmet was so busy that his van wasn't available to bring Blondie home until yesterday afternoon.  It's a shame because she is such a timid dog and those few days away from us has meant starting from square one again to get her to trust us.

She escaped once yesterday, but returned a little while later.   I don't think she has had as much food at the vet clinic than I would normally give her.  She really needs building up so I am feeding her often at the moment.

We are playing a game of musical chairs dog shelters at the moment.  On Sunday Megan was on the balcony while Sammy was in the area at the back...until he managed to break through the fence and head for Megan again.  I was awake all night, popping out constantly to check on them.

We left him in the garden yesterday morning and put Megan in the area at the back...she gave a sigh of relief.  I'm sure she was happy not to have him pestering her constantly to satisfy his sex drive.

When Blondie returned she stayed in the garden with Sammy for a while, then went to the back area with Megan.   Apart from her one escape, she has remained with Megan ever since.   Sammy has made a few attempts to break in to their area, but is now stretched out under the gazebo.  We will just keep swapping them around until things settle down.

I had a visit from my friend Karen yesterday.  Karen is the woman who founded and runs the Turkish Animal Group charity.  She currently has more than 80 dogs in her care, awaiting adoption, and she still continues to go out every day to feed dogs in the forest and on the beach.  I don't know how she does it!  She has given me loads of useful advice.  There's really nothing she doesn't know about dogs.

I can't believe we actually chatted for 4 hours.  The time just flew by.  A very pleasant afternoon.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds a full time job just looking after 3 ex-strays. I don't know how Karen does it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we've seen her at work firsthand haven't we Annie? It was exhausting just to watch her.

      Delete
  2. I think u have found your calling lol.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly looks like it greygirl x

      Delete
  3. Mr A might worry if you spend lots of time with Karen.... he may think looking after 4 dogs is ok.....not sure how he'd take to 80 !
    I'm so glad you had a good time with Karen, and so far so good with your 4....you are doing an amazing job Ayak. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. Oh I think I'll stop at 4. They are quite exhausting!

      Delete
  4. Fingers crossed...you seem to have them coming under control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep those fingers crossed for a while yet Helen. There's still a way to go x

      Delete
  5. happy your K9s are progressing well...I'm sure in time all will settle :) It's always nice to have visits from friends...my "old" friends all live 600 miles away so not much chance for visits :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theanne. I don't get many visits these days. My friends in Turkey are scattered about, and it's difficult not having transport and having to rely on several buses to get anywhere.

      Delete
  6. So great to hear how they are doing and that they are starting the 'settling down' period.

    C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still early days Carol but I'm feeling a little more optimistic.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad the weather is being kind to you, Ayak, and that you had such a good visit from your friend. Hopefully the worst is over with the dogs and they will gradually settle down and leave you time for other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well of course I tempted fate by talking about the weather P. Gale force winds started last night and continue today, along with rain. But at least its quiet on the dog front, while they all take shelter from the nasty weather!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x