Thursday, 4 April 2013

Unpredictable

The weather on Tuesday was glorious.  I should know by now not to tempt fate by talking about the weather, because as soon as I declare that summer is practically here, it changes.

There I was sitting out under the gazebo in shorts and t-shirt, lapping up the sunshine.  A couple of hours later,the wind started to blow and in no time at all it had reached gale force.  We had an old sofa under the gazebo covered with a throw, and also four plastic chairs and a table.  The sofa throw was suddenly whipped up into the air and carried across the garden,.closely followed by the chairs.

We rescued them and put them safely in the shed, and then removed chairs and table from the balcony, together with anything else that wasn't fixed to the ground.

We had  attached another old throw over the top of the gazebo as shelter from the sun.  It was so firmly fixed that we were unable to remove it.  The sofa was also too heavy to move, so it was safe to leave where it was.  

And then a storm was added to the gale force wind, and down came the rain.  It lasted all night.  Yesterday was spent cleaning up.   The sofa was drenched, and the throw on the top of the gazebo had been reduced to shreds.

Sammy and Blondie had slept in the shed, and Megan in the shelter.  Unfortunately, they started barking at around 5am, because they could see another dog up the hill at the back of the house.  

Our neighbour, Sevke,  has spent most of today moaning at me about the barking.  I apologised and was very polite at first, but after a while I was just sick of it.  They don't bark at night as a rule, unless someone passes by, and it's just briefly.   There are however dogs barking all over the village, all night long.   I told Sevke that if she had a problem with dogs barking, then she should not only complain about mine, but that she should mention it to the owners of all the other dogs in the village.  She shut up.  Just as well, as I might just have mentioned that when her family visits, their loud chattering on her terrace until 2 or 3am keeps me awake.   I'll save that one until the next time she complains.

I do sometimes feel that as the only foreigner here I'm an easy target.  It seems acceptable to complain or criticise me, when they totally overlook unacceptable behaviour by other villagers. Mr A says I should take no notice, but it does affect me, and it only ever happens when he's not around.

And talking about being unpredictable, I mistakenly thought that neutering would settle the dogs.  It has definitely worked with Megan and Blondie, but Sammy seems to have become even more lively.  Apart from his constant attempts to mount Megan, he is dashing around all over the place, almost like he is trying to prove that removing his testicles, doesn't make him any less of a man!

Something a little more predictable, was an email Mr A received from his father.  I am not going into detail but suffice to say he was quite insulting about me.  He thinks he can control his son's life, and probably hopes that he can drive a wedge between Mr A and I.   I have sent him an email telling him a few home truths.  I have said all the things that I've been storing up and festering over for years. Of course I showed it to Mr A first, and he had no objections.  It's probably easier for me to be blunt with his father than he can.

A bit of a shitty day really, but I refuse to be browbeaten by anyone.

32 comments:

  1. Sorry, you have had a bad day. I agree that mr.a's father should keep his mouth shut. I could say more , but better not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to say more Kelleyn...I have said all I want to say to him in my email..and feel much better for it!

      Delete
  2. well "Katy bar the door" Ayak, you've had a hell of a day!!! I keep waiting for complaints about Baron's barking...he doesn't do it often but when he does...it's LOUD!! however, I say what about the neighbors banging open their sliding glass doors at 2am and then talking on their patio!! since my ex mother in law is now deceased I don't even have to think about her anymore, much less hear her complaints about me. so you hung in there and you did good, but no more horrible days for you please!!!

    'Katy (or Katie) bar the door' means take precautions; there's trouble ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard that saying before Theanne...I'll bear it in mind!

      Delete
  3. The man is FILth...and you could do without damn fool neighbours moaning for the sake of it too.
    Some days just can't end soon enough....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is what he is Helen. He'll never change. Today's another day. No doubt the neighbour will be back to her normal friendly self!

      Delete
  4. Oh dear. It does sound like you had a bad day.
    We had storms last night with intermittent electricity (it was on and off from around 16:30 till the wind dropped). And of course, we only cleaned the roof terrace the day before. Fortunately the only damage we suffered was a tile that blew off and broke.
    I'm surprised your neighbours could hear the barking over the sound of the wind and the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that surprised me too omentide. The storm was very noisy. Glad you didn't suffer too much damage.

      Delete
  5. All in all, sounds like a stressful day Ayak... and that photo of you looking so relaxed in the sunshine had me thinking that dogs operated on and some warmth and the real start of summer might make life a bit easier for a while. I hope that e-mailing father in law has helped you let off steam. Thinking of you. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. I do feel better for writing to him and getting it off my chest. It's very unlikely that he'll reply, but that's of no importance.

      Delete
  6. So terribly sorry about having one of those days you don't care to remember....I know how you feel about being a foreigner. I know especially when I go to Turkey. They call me the American one. :-(

    Mr. A's Father...UGH!!!! That old guy does not give up....and should keep his mouth shut. I think he's just a miserable bored old lil' guy who has nothing to do but brood over silly things in his mind. Good for you for writing that email...I bet that put his knickers in a knot.
    I get so mad at those type of neighbours...my dog once barked for a second for some water and my neighbour told me she woke us up.....it was around noon. Well she should look at her own kids, they are soooo loud real early going to school.....or after school.
    Does your FIL know about your new doggys'???
    ....take care and hope you have better weather....we have freezing temperatures here ...just have to keep wearing winter clothes.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with complaining neighbours Erica is that they fail to recognise anything that they do which might annoy others. Yes it would seem FIL knows about the new dogs as Mr A has posted pics on Facebook which he would have seen. At least it should put him off visiting!

      The weather looks more promising now, temps are set to rise over the next few days (or am I tempting fate again!)

      Delete
  7. I so admire you for taking a stand on your beliefs. I'm of the same ilk...a spineless person has no business being around me. I don't like a bully but a martyl (can't spell that..will look it up) has no sympathy from me. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte Ann. You and I have recognised so many similarities since we first got to know each other. I'd almost believe we were twins separated at birth! xxxx

      Delete
  8. Oh dear, sending all love your way. Did you feel better once you'd given FIL what for? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most certainly did auntiegwen...thankyou xx

      Delete
  9. Storms are affecting people and animals, make them nervous and irritable. I would put it down to the weather and wait for the sun and warmth that is sure to arrive soon.

    Regarding Sammy: I doubt that the effects of the neutering can be seen immediately. The hormone change usually needs a couple of weeks to show and a lot of dogs don't change at all (apart from over-sexualised behaviour)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience dogs always seem a little tense when there are storms about Johanna.

      I'm pleased to say that this morning we brought Sammy back into the garden with the two girls, and apart from a little rough and tumble to begin with, he has settled down and is not bothering Megan at all. Peace is restored!

      Delete
  10. The southern storms always give me a terrible headache so I'm glad I didn't have to deal with your FIL at the same time. Jake has started to like the sound of his own voice so I'm reading up madly on google trying to find out how to train him to be less vocal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I wonder if that's possible. Let me know if you manage to train Jake and I'll try it out on mine! Mind you at the moment Poppy is the instigator...they all lay quietly in the sun...Poppy barks and they all start!

      Delete
  11. Good on you for telling FIL what you think, I often got the feeling in Turkey that womens opinions meant little so it must be a right pain for him to see he is not acheiving whatever it is he is after. I only wish i could have been a fly on the wall when he read it!! Hahahahahahaha. Hope today is better for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is much better thanks Carol. You are right that often the views of women count for little. Men of FIL's generation think women should be seen and not heard...which is why he isn't very fond of me!

      Delete
  12. Well done with the email Ayak. In my limited experience bullies tend to back off - grumbling loudly - when you stand up to them and lay down a `do not cross` line. Of course I have no experience of elderly Turkish FILs, so you'll have to be guided by others on that front !!
    Keep up the good work with the dogs - I'm sure they'll settle down when they start realising the `good life` is there for as long as they wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are many really nice Turkish FILs Rosemary. I'm just unlucky.

      The dogs are settling gradually. It's still early days but I'm optimistic.

      Delete
  13. Poor Ayak, it does sound like the dogs, the weather, the neighbours and above all FIL conspired to spoil your day yesterday, but well done for telling him where to get off. I imagine the storm meant than no-one slept well, hence the restless dogs and bad-tempered neighbours, so here's hoping for better weather so that you can again relax in the garden. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just one of those days P. The weather has improved, the dogs have settled and peace is restored!

      Delete
  14. Chin up Ayak - stiff upper lip and all that. It's good that you are standing your ground. Sometimes because of being the "outsider" it feels it's not your place to complain but everyone has a right to live in peace. I am so lucky I have never received any ill feeling from my wife's family from being together. Very much the opposite in fact. Just be strong and don't the b@st@rds grind you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very fortunate Westy, and to be honest most Turkish families are very welcoming to outsiders. I do have support from other members of the family. It's just FIL who is the fly in the ointment.

      I guess it was just one of those days when I felt everyone was against me. But having got things off my chest, I'm over it.

      Thankyou xx

      Delete
  15. I also thought that neutering and spaying my rabbits would calm them down....... but no, they take it in turns to mount each other! At least there won't be any babies.

    I think if people complain about other folks noise..... then they should be blameless themselves. It is strange how that never happens!!!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this calming down by neutering and spaying is just a rumour Maggie!

      You are so right about complainers. They rarely recognise their own faults.

      Delete
  16. I hope your FIL will atleast leave you alone if he can't treat you well. He must be really old right? Where does he find the energy to be so vicious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No he really isn't very old. I am older than Mr A, and FIL had his son when he was very young, so he's not much older than me. Sadly, he probably still has many more years left to torment me!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x