Pages

Friday, 17 May 2013

Debit cards and dog food

I've pretty much been confined to bed this past four days.  I have what appears to be tonsillitis (according to the symptoms listed on the internet) and I've been feeling pretty rough. I've slept an awful lot and I have stomach cramps too, most likely because I've lost my appetite.  I know I should really get it checked out at the hospital, in case it's a bacterial infection, but Mr A has been away now for 17 days, his motorbike's out of action, and I'm reluctant to get him to take me to the hospital, because I know he is fearful of losing his job if he takes time off.  In any case, the thought of queuing at the hospital, makes me feel more ill than I actually am.

 Mr A did come home late one night during the first week, and brought me heavy  shopping, then returned very early in the morning.  His boss was taking someone to the airport on Wednesday evening, so Mr A managed to tag along, stop to get me supplies on the way, and dropped them off.   It was literally...throw the bags in the door...hello...goodbye...and that was it.

I had been browsing online to check out large bags of dog food, available from several online stores here in Turkey.   The prices vary enormously.   I have been getting a pretty good deal from Mehmet the vet.  However, as Mr A isn't around to collect them, and I can't manage 15kg sacks on the dolmus, online buying seemed the best option.

Having found a good price, I wanted to order a couple of 15kg sacks to be delivered by cargo (FOC) to my door.  

There is a slight problem though.  The debit card I have with Denizbank has numbers printed on the reverse, but these up till now could not be used as verification when making a purchase online.  It's possible to do it with a credit card, but I don't want a credit card.  I have spoken to Denizbank several times about this and each time they say that it is only possible with a credit card.    I have been seriously considering changing banks recently because of this, but again it's one of those can't be bothered with the hassle things.

I don't know if I have some kind of sixth sense or if it's stupidity that makes me attempt something that has previously failed, in the hope that it might just work.   I completed the order form online for 2 bags of dog food, filled in my address, phone numbers etc, and then came the section for payment.  I was rather hoping it might be cash on delivery, which wouldn't be a problem, but no...credit/debit card details required.

So I filled in the details and when it came to entering the 3 digit verification from the reverse of the card, I entered the last 3 digits on my card.  Lo and behold...it worked.  I then got a Denizbank pop-up to confirm my transaction, where they send a code to my mobile phone...I enter it in the pop-up box, and Bob's your uncle...transaction completed!  Clearly Denizbank have changed the system, albeit without informing their customers (well not me anyway), but who cares?  It works!

Delivery by cargo is due in 3 to 4 days...fingers crossed that this part of the process actually works!

EDITED TO ADD:  I thought it was all too good to be true.  Since writing this post, I received a call from the cargo office in Milas stating my items were awaiting my collection.   Even though it clearly states the delivery address as being our house, on the confirmation.  Now I've had to get Mr A involved.  The cargo office won't budge, and he's having to make loads of phone calls.  This is exactly what I was trying to avoid.   Aaaargh!!

14 comments:

  1. Sorry you are feeling so bad...could it be the tail end of whatever you picked up in England ..or is it something new ? I hope a couple of days in bed sorts it out, it must be hard with Mr A away. However....on the bright side.....the dogs will eat ! Thinking of you...hope you feel better soon. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. I think it's a new bug, but I'm sure it will go in time.

      As far as the dogs eating is concerned, not quite yet...I've just added a note to my post to explain why!

      Delete
    2. I just saw the fb update.....you must be so angry. I know I would be. Try to keep calm, or just go back to bed and sod it all ! Jxxxx

      Delete
    3. I am angry Janice and when Mr A says "I'll sort it out" it doesn't inspire confidence. Well I've emailed the online website, the supplier and the cargo office...nothing else I can do so yes back to bed and sod it!

      Delete
  2. I saw your post on Facebook and knew you weren't well the other day, so I'm sorry that nothing seems to be going your way at the moment, Ayak! I'm feeling a bit rough myself but at least Darwin has plenty food and I'm not stranded here on my own. Not easy but hopefully you will be feeling a little better soon. Very frustrating. Big, not-quite-helpful-enough hugs to you, Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All hugs are welcome Annie. Am feeling tired, poorly, frustrated, angry and quite sorry for myself...not a good combination. Things can only get better xx

      Delete
    2. Hug from France too. Chicken soup, a really good DVD and chocolate on its virtual way oh and I'll pick up the dog food en route.

      Delete
    3. Ah Rosie what a lovely thought. I wonder if one day things like this will actually be possible xx

      Delete
  3. Hope you feel better soon! Aww, to bad there's no handy village boy who can pick up the stuff for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deniz. Latest news is that the cargo office will deliver, but have no idea when...not holding my breath.

      Delete
  4. Poor Ayak, just what you didn't need when you're feeling so rough already. At least you now know that you can order online with your debit card (we don't have credit cards either) but the delivery system does seem to be very inefficient. I hope your order arrives and you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Perpetua, the one positive thing to come out of this is discovering that I can now use my debit card online. I think the cargo office know they have to deliver and are probably trying to pull a fast one. At least I know the food is there. One of my friends in Kusadasi tells me she had similar problems with petfood being delivered by this particular cargo company. She stood her ground, they delivered, and she has had good service from them since...so there's hope.

      Delete
  5. Hope they manage to deliver the dog food.

    But, more important, get yourself well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the dog food will get here at some point omentide. I was hoping this would be straightforward because it's the perfect solution for someone like me being stuck out here with no transport.

      Am doing my best to get well...thankyou xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x