Monday, 6 May 2013

If it sounds too good to be true....

...it usually is.

A couple of months ago a Vodafone rep came to the teahouse in our village.  He was there to sign up customers to a contract and if they did they would take advantage of a special campaign.

Mr A is easily taken in by such deals.  He signed up on the spot.  He would pay 30 lira a month, for which he would receive about 1000 minutes (am not sure of the exact figure) and text messages (again I'm not sure of the exact amount, but it was a lot), and also connection to Facebook on the internet.

He thought I should sign up too.  I wasn't convinced.  I have been using Turkcell pay as you go for years.  I only top up 20 lira a month, and if I use 12 lira of this, I get free text messages and calls.

He spoke to the rep, who said that for 20 lira I would have 500 minutes of calls, numerous texts, and not only that, 250 of my minutes could be used to call any Vodafone number in England.  Although still a bit sceptical, the idea of being able to call my daughter on her Vodafone number without incurring hefty charges on my landline, was appealing.

I asked Mr A to double check all this, because I wanted to be certain of the facts.  He checked and confirmed what he had been previously told.  Not only that, when I was in England recently, I was told I could  use my sim card to call Vodafone numbers here, and that would also be included in the price.  So I signed up.   Well actually, to be honest, I didn't sign.  I wasn't there and the rep allowed Mr A to sign for me.  I should have smelt a rat at that point.

I actually use an English simcard while I'm there, and I continued to do so for the majority of my stay.  However, I used my Vodafone sim to call Mr A a few times.

Now, at the end of my first month with this contract, I checked my bill online.   It wasn't 20 lira as I was given to believe....it was in fact 247.40 lira!!

Someone is clearly giving out the wrong information.  It could be Mr A misinterpreting what he's been told, although having double checked it all, I think it's unlikely.  I think it's more likely reps out to make a fast buck.  They are no doubt working on commission for the contracts they sell.

Well this particular rep has a shock coming.  Mr A has been in touch with Vodafone head office, who are investigating the matter, and have promised to get to the bottom of it.

Watch this space.....

13 comments:

  1. It makes you so wild!
    But it's the commercial structure....don't have full time staff. hire people on commission only...not fair either to them or to the unwitting customers - who end up having to sort it out on 'phone lines charging an arm and a leg to listen to music of a banality guaranteed to lead to an early grave....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely spot on Helen. No wonder these companies make huge profits. Of course the rep isn't answering his phone...he's long gone with his commission!

      Delete
    2. I hope they get to the bottom of it. This sounds like a total rip off....
      We shall certainly stick to our pay as you go and skype for long distance.

      Delete
  2. Hope they get to the bottom of it....

    We are with Vodaphone but shall stick to the tourist-tariff pay as you go for the time being!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly sounds like a rip-off omentide. I've always avoided contracts up until now. As soon as this is sorted out I will be back to pay as you go. But I'm going to make sure heads roll first.

      Delete
  3. My jaw dropped when I saw the difference in your expected and actual bill. It is outrageous that people are being ripped off all over the place and so shamelessly. Vodafone must know this is going on and even if you are compensated, they are laughing at all those people who are taken in and then don't know how to get out again. It is appalling - go at 'em girl! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is fighting these big companies Annie. Even though they have promised to look into it, I have a feeling that Mr A will just end up paying the bill if they don't back down. As for me...I'd rather let them take me to court than pay up.

      Delete
  4. We are trying to swap T's contract back to pay as you go , and it is proving expensive. He had to pay for a month he can't use to get out of the deal, even though the time is up. A plague of locusts on all mobile phone companies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make me sick BtoB. I have yet to hear one good thing said about any of the mobile phone companies here.

      Delete
  5. Oh.......... I would be so mad about that. It just isn't fair. Hope you get some form of compensation & that you can go back to the better system that you had before.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling it isn't going to be easy Maggie.

      Delete
  6. Grrr! I'm sorry Mr A seems to be willing to accept these hard-sell reps at face value and I do hope you can get out of the contract unscathed. This is yet another illustration of why DH and I have always stuck with pay-as-you-go for our mobiles, which we hardly use in any case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's just too trusting Perpetua. I'm not sure at this stage that we can get out of the contract without a great deal of hassle, but if they decide that the bill is a mistake, that will be a start.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x