Friday, 3 May 2013

My wonderful dogs

OK, I hear you say, she's doing yet another post about her dogs.  Humour me.

I just can't help it.  I've only had them a short time, but I love them so much.

This morning I was faced with a situation that I had been dreading, but knew was inevitable.  I let them out for their pre-breakfast run up the hill behind the house.   I love this time of day (around 6.30am).  It's warm but still cool enough to take a stroll, so I walked along the path at the bottom of the hill, while the dogs galloped on ahead.

After a while they came running down and I was there to meet them.  We just reached the lane next to our garden when we came face to face with the shepherdess and her flock of sheep.  The whole lane was blocked with them and there was no way we could pass to get into the garden.

Bear in mind that these are dogs who are prone to chase sheep and anything else that moves. Every time the flock pass (twice a day), the dogs bark furiously at the sheep from the safety of the garden.

The shepherdess panicked.  The sheep stopped and refused to move.  Meanwhile I grabbed Megan and Sammy's collars and told them to sit.   Not having a third hand with which to grab Blondie's collar, I called her to me, and she sat quietly next to the other two.  Not one bark from them.  I told the shepherdess to move the sheep.  She wasn't convinced.  She was sure my dogs would break loose from me and chase them.   I tried to reassure her that this wouldn't happen...even though I certainly wasn't confident about it.

The shepherdess waved her arms around and poked the sheep with her stick and eventually they passed us and headed off over the hill.   I let go of the collars, half expecting my dogs to turn and chase the sheep.  They didn't.  They followed me obediently down the lane and into the garden. 

All three have now been rewarded with biscuits, and being brushed.  They love being groomed.  Megan is done first as she is in our garden. Then  Sammy and Blondie in the dog area.    They love it so much that while one is being brushed, the other will keep nudging me as if to say "my turn".

 I am so proud of them. Isn't it amazing how these street dogs can adjust to a new way of life in such a short time?

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful moment of pride, Ayak, well-earned and well-deserved. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, especially as you have been away for 10 days. They sound as if they have settled, and know where they are best off. I'm looking forward to seeing Blondie photos as she grows ! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how well they behaved Janice. I'll have to wait until Mr A gets back to get some photos of Blondie. Then we can get a shot of her next to me which will show how much she is growing.

      Delete
  3. oh! All I could think about was the shepardess....can you get a picture of her and the sheep the next time you see them out? My imagination runs wild with visions of a woman in a long skirt, shawl and head wrap with a tall staff...is she a young woman? are these her sheep? Details..details....lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte. I did a post about her last October, together with a picture...Have a look at this link http://ayak-turkishdelight.blogspot.com/2012/10/sultan-shepherdess.html

      The dog I mention in that post, is my Sammy. Sadly she didn't take care of him and continued to chain him up and he was clearly starving when I took him in.

      Delete
  4. They did so well..you must be proud of them, but I can see how you'd be nervous about their possible reaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just never know how they may react Helen until you face these situations for the first time, so yes I was nervous!

      Delete
  5. That is such fantastic progress, Ayak, and it's all down to your patient and devoted care and training. Well done, all of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perpetua, but to be honest I've never been good at training dogs. I think they are more intelligent than we give them credit for, and sometimes know how they are expected to behave. I think that the fact that they were due to have their breakfast might have helped....on their best behaviour just in case they might not be fed perhaps?

      Delete
  6. yey! good doggy mama I say - well done you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been reading the Dog Whisperer's tips and it says that dogs will mimic their owners emotions. So if you keep cool in a situation, they will too. Interesting isn't it? I've been practicing keeping calm when we meet big aggressive dogs and so far.. touch wood.. Jake has stayed out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting BtoB. I was actually more calm than usual at the time. It also explains a lot....maybe why all my past dogs have been a bit neurotic and unpredictable ;-)

      Delete
  8. They all did very well, mainly due to your training and the love you give them.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due more to the love than the training I think Maggie!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x