Because Suleyman hadn't been entirely honest about the situation, Mr A decided to stay anyway and take advantage of personnel accommodation and food, while he looked around for something more suitable. He found two more possibilities. One hotel hamam, also in Gumbet, and another in Yalikavak. The hotel in Gumbet seems to be the best option, because even though Mr A will still be working on commission only, the boss is prepared to give him a contract (something which is not available with the other hotels). However, they are not opening until their first customers arrive on 15th May.
The one in Yalaikavak is open, and Mr A decided to start there the following day, having informed Suleyman that he would consider returning to work for him when he had customers.
He has been at Yalikavak for a few days now and is earning a little money. He came home last night
It would seem that the Yalikavak boss is quite unpredictable. He makes all sorts of promises and suggestions and then promptly changes his mind. It's not something that inspires confidence in Mr A, but at least he is earning money there at the moment.
The other Gumbet hotel boss has been in touch with him and would like him to start on 15th May. He is seriously considering this, but naturally is keeping quiet about it, neither informing the Yalikavak boss nor Suleyman.
It's called keeping your options open. Something that we have found is absolutely essential when working in the tourist industry in Turkey. Taking care of your own interests...because no-one else will.
Mr A feels he is getting too old for this kind of work, and we are looking ahead to the possibility of him working on
There's a lot to consider....and work to be done. We have a lot of walnut trees, olives, pomegranates and apricots. It needs sorting out because it has been somewhat neglected, although the walnut trees are in good shape and would produce the most profit.
So hopefully just one more season in tourism for Mr A, and then we can get back to something like a normal life...fingers crossed.