Pages

Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Women get things sorted

One problem on top of another.  The dog food eventually arrived, as I mentioned in my previous post.  However the Vodafone contract saga continues.  Just to refresh your memory you can read about it HERE.

Mr A promised to "sort it out" and as usual when I hear these words from him my heart sinks.  I know only too well what he is like when he is on the phone dealing with a problem.  It goes one of two ways.  Either he shouts, rants and raves...and the problem doesn't get sorted.   Or he listens and agrees with what the person on the other end of the line is saying because in typical Turkish fashion he is sometimes reluctant to offend.......and the problem doesn't get sorted.

Every time I mention it to him he tells me he is sorting it out. But I am getting reminders from Vodafone about the bill of 247.40 that has to be paid.

 Yesterday I discussed things in more detail with Mr A.   I got the name of the representative who came to the village, and his phone number, and also that of the shop in Bodrum where he works, the name of his boss and his phone number and email address.  Mr A then informs me that they admit they gave wrong information, but were going to try to sort it out by firstly, getting me changed over to a Turkcell contract for one month, then sorting out the outstanding Vodafone bill (how they were to do this, I don't know), then after a month they would change me back to Vodafone with a new "much better" contract.  All sounds a bit fishy doesn't it?

It was clear to me that they were attempting damage limitation for themselves, and I was having none of it. I told Mr A that I would call Vodafone myself in an attempt to sort this out, because I was not prepared to wait around for these two men to cover their tracks and at the same time creating more inconvenience for me.

Finding a number to ring Vodafone customer service was quite an effort, as was finding someone on the other end of the line who spoke English, but eventually I managed it.  I phoned yesterday morning and explained the situation.  They said they would look into it.

 I also sent an email to the shop in Bodrum clearly stating that I was in touch with customer services objecting to not only being given totally incorrect information at the start of the contract, but for not actually having seen or signed the contract, as their representative had Mr A sign for me.  These two men may wish to deal with the matter in a way that protects them and not me, the customer, but I am not happy to go along with it.

Vodafone customer services called me back in the afternoon and we talked for almost an hour.  I have established that for 20 lira that I originally agreed to, I would indeed have 500 minutes of call time and 500 text messages...BUT within Turkey only.   OK, that's fair enough but it was not what I was told by their representative (via Mr A, who double checked the information).  I have also given them details of the shop in Bodrum, the name and telephone number of the representative, and all other details concerning the contract.   I have insisted that I want these conversations recorded in writing and sent to my address.  That I have no intention of paying the hefty bill due to misinformation, but that I will happily pay the 20 lira a month to which I agreed...providing of course that they send me a new contract for ME to read and sign.   That if I don't get a satisfactory solution,  I will take legal action.

This morning I had a message from a cargo office (a different one!) in Milas who had a Turkcell sim card awaiting my collection.  So the men had gone ahead with their plan anyway.  Mr A also had a call from the man at the Vodafone shop in Bodrum to inform him that because I had contacted Vodafone customer services and told them the whole story (THE TRUTH) that both he and his employee had lost their jobs. 

Mr A is quite upset because he considered this man to be a friend and says he has now lost a friendship.  My response was that it isn't Mr A's or my fault that this has happened, and if the man has rejected Mr A's friendship, then he really isn't a true friend.

Of course I am not happy that two people have lost their jobs, but perhaps they (and maybe others) will learn something from it. 

In the meantime, I am waiting to hear further from Vodafone about the outstanding bill.  I'm also pretty sure I will get a text message from Turkcell telling me when my new sim card will take effect...which in turn means that my Vodafone sim will be disconnected.  I can't do anything about it until I get the message.   I could well end up without a working sim card at all.   You see the trouble these bloody men have caused?

I'm on a mission now.  I am a woman and we get things sorted out...not easy in this country, but I'm not giving up.

18 comments:

  1. You do have my sympathy and admiration, Ayak. Such a lot of battles to fight and little recognition for the effort you are putting in. Well done you for sticking to your guns despite the problems. Get 'em sorted. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all so unnecessary Annie. People seem so desperate to sell you something that they're not completely honest. It doesn't work for me, so yes I will stick to my guns.

      Delete
  2. I'm cheering you on - Go Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My admiration for you grows daily. However, it does all sound very stressful. I hope that it gets resolved soon....and that you are able to have a few peaceful days. In the meantime Go girl ! Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. I feel less stressed now to be honest because I'm dealing with it rather than relying on someone else. x

      Delete
  4. I don't want to be too mean, but on the other hand it might make *you* feel better - that lost jobs part sounds fishy to me. It seems like the sort of thing a disgruntled shop owner might say when faced with a customer who digs a little too deeply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Deniz...the exact same thought has also crossed my mind. I'm not sure I totally believe it. I'll wait and see what Vodafone have to say x

      Delete
    2. Here's hoping you get it sorted out soon and are not charged for that bill.

      I've seen those 'her yone' deals on Vodafone and often wondered whether they include calls outside Turkey. It seems they do not and you should never have been told that they did.

      Delete
    3. And that's really my point omentide...they gave me totally wrong information about her yone deals. It was checked and double checked, and only then did I call Vodafone numbers in England on the understanding that they were included in the deal.I am not paying the bill whatever happens...they can see me in court.

      Delete
  5. It must seem as though you're constantly having to swim against the tide to get anything sorted out, Ayak, but knowing you, I'm sure you're up to it. AStick to you guns and insist that as an adult you deal with your own business affairs. It's just too easy for male solidarity to mussy the waters....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sticking to my guns Perpetua. Women in this country really need to start sticking up for themselves and not be pushed aside or ignored by men who think they know best.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to read about your Vodafone problems and the stress involved. I do think you ladies are much more able to get these things resolved but we sometimes can. I think you are right that about the friendship thing.
    I have been away from Blogsville for a while because sadly I have recently lost my dear wife whom I was honoured to marry over 40 years ago. Whenever I was having trouble with vatious suppliers I used to say to them, "We can resolve this peacefully in a calm matter or I will hand you over to my wife - the choice is your's but I would advise the former option."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eddie. I was so sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. I sent you an email a couple of days ago. How blessed you were to have 40 years together. It sounds like she was a bit like me when it comes to dealing with problems like this. You will miss her. Take good care of yourself. Much love xxx

      Delete
  7. You go girl....I like your personality and attitude. We had a problem with Turkcell when we were there.
    I also think it's fishy about firing them employees....we had an instant where we stopped for a bite to eat in this touristy cafe and the cleaning lady was complaining about us being American Yabanci....well my husband had a fit and told the manager that if it wasn't for Yabanci's then you would be shut down.He said he was going to fire her but we didn't think so. We weren't being mean it's just that she spit at us as we were standing there doing nothing....and my sister in law isn't a Yabanci and understood the language well....sorry to take over the topic, just my 2 cents.

    Hope it all works out for you....xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica. Yes I have since discovered that the men haven't been fired. Well at least one of them anyway. The other has left his job but about another issue. I'm having an uphill battle with Vodafone trying to get them to sort this out. I may well go back to Turkcell now because I can't see this issue being resolved anytime soon.

      What a horrible experience with that woman in the cafe. And well done your husband for telling it as it is. No I doubt she'll be fired, but they'll certainly lose customers if she continues with that attitude.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x