Pages

Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Dursune's Donkey

When I got up at 5.30 this morning to feed my dogs, I glanced over into Dursune's garden and saw a mule.  Quite a lovely looking animal.  He must have arrived sometime last night.

Dursune's donkey is quite old.  She is also very ill.  According to Dursune, the donkey has cancer and won't live much longer.  There is apparently nothing more that can be done for her.

I have known this for a few months and have watched the rapid deterioration of this once sturdy and healthy animal with great sadness.  Both for the donkey and Dursune.  She has always taken great care of her animals and it was awful for her that she had to give up her cows last year because she is also becoming frail, and she just couldn't manage them anymore.

She's a stubborn woman, and very independent.  I know there are neighbours who would have helped with milking the cows, but with Dursune it's her way or not at all.

The donkey is no longer used for carrying things for her mistress.  This is quite unusual here.  There is no sentimentality for these animals who are invariably worked to the limit until they drop dead.

Dursune's donkey now spends her days in a garden just below Dursune's house which has lots of trees for shelter.   She is fed, loved and cared for.   She doesn't appear to be suffering, and I hope that she doesn't reach a point where she is, because Dursune's religion would not allow her to have her euthanized.  I sincerely hope that she dies peacefully in her sleep. 

When Dursune got up this morning I admired her mule.   She had to have him to work for her, she says, as the donkey is on her way out....she says this as she gently pats the donkey on the head.

The mule is lucky to have Dursune as his mistress.  He'll have a much better life than so many others.

12 comments:

  1. Dursune sounds lovely. I hope her donkey doesn't suffer. How does Dursune do the tasks she used to do with the donkey ? Of course, if Blondie keeps growing.......Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well for the past few weeks she has been carrying everything herself Janice...with great difficulty. Now she has the mule he has taken over, thank goodness.

      Maybe I should offer Blondie's services if the mule wants a day off :-)

      Delete
  2. ....poor lil' Dursune's Donkey. But I'm sure he had a good life with her being so caring. Hopefully he will pass away in his sleep, but sounds like he has a good place now with food and shelter and not neglected.
    Yes I noticed they do work their animals real hard. I couldn't look at them or I would be popping headache pills and pulling out the tissues.

    This Donkey is lucky like you mentioned to have Dursune as his mistress. Donkeys have always been my favourite animals. I always say if I hit the Lottery Jackpot I'm going to get a house outside the city and a Donkey....as a pet. Believe it or not but I have been to a big wedding here where outside they had a Donkey all decked out and you could have your photo taken with it....hehehehe.

    Have a great day....hope you got some sleep last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need some sleep Erica.

      I love donkeys too..I think I've mentioned it many times! A friend of mine over in Kusadasi area has a donkey as a pet, along with several dogs she has rescued, and I really envy her! Maybe one day....

      Delete
  3. Lucky donkey to be with Dursune...and very lucky mule.
    Amazing how the perceived rules of religion allow you to to exploit an animal but not to put it down....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Helen, an argument I constantly have with people here. And it seems acceptable somehow to put down poisoned meat in some areas, for the street dogs to eat and suffer a slow lingering death. And people wonder why I'm an atheist.

      Delete
  4. Hope the mule keeps the donkey company in her last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very sad BtoB. I find myself checking every morning to see if she's still with us :-(

      Delete
  5. Poor donkey, I do hope the end is quick and peaceful. I'm glad Dursune is taking such good care of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's sooner rather than later Perpetua xx

      Delete
  6. I've always had a soft spot for donkeys, so glad to hear that Dursune is so good to hers. Like you, I hope she goes gently in her sleep - it's too awful to see animals suffer.
    Take care.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't seem to be suffering Annie. I'm keeping a close eye on her and Dursune is taking good care of her.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x