Pages

Friday, 21 June 2013

Getting out of a rut

It's not often I realise how much I have become part of this village way of life.  I seem to kind of blend in.  

My clothes become more village-like by the day, particularly in the oppressive heat we are experiencing at the moment.  I spend my day in my pyjamas, or baggy linen trousers, which don't look out of place at all.  I'm beginning to look more like my neighbours these days.   Give me a headscarf and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Although I shower every day, I tend to neglect de-fuzzing my legs, or tidying my nails.  And my feet are a disgrace.   But there's no-one here who notices or cares.

However, occasionally I make a decision to get out.  Tomorrow I intend to go to Bodrum to meet up with a friend, spend some time with Mr A at the hotel, and do a big shop in one of the many supermarkets available, which stock far more than those in Milas.

This evening I took a close look at my fingernails.  They were disgusting.  Admittedly I had just been
watering the garden, picking tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers, and removing weeds from flower pots.  So once finished, I tidied up my nails and gave them a coat of clear polish.   Then the feet...well I've done the best I can, but I really need to have a good pedicure.

Into the shower, shaved the legs, exfoliated, and moisturised.  I am beginning to feel almost human again.   Next, finding something half decent to wear in my wardrobe.  

Of course I should make more of an effort with these things, but I actually quite like being a slob most of the time.  Although it  gives me so much to sort out when I do decide to escape from the village.
..........................................................................

A little bit of sad news.  Dursune's donkey has finally passed away.   She told me this morning and we both shed a few tears.  I think the heat was probably the final straw.  Bless Dursune's heart.  She had continued to feed the donkey, and wash her down every day up until the end.  But it's a relief, because she didn't seem to suffer unnecessarily.  

20 comments:

  1. Have a fun day tomorrow....and fun shopping. Don't go to BIM, I liked the hand cream there for 2,49...coconut cream. Bet Mr. A won't recognize you so well polished....hehehe. :-)

    So sad to hear about Dursune's poor lil' Donkey. But bless her heart Dursune for looking after it so well ...and it probably understood that it was well looked after and certainly loved. Like you said a relief that it's not suffering.

    You know you wrote you have become part of village life....I'll tell you when I visit Turkey I feel the same. So much more peaceful and not as hectic or have to do more and more like here.....but for the time being I'm living here and if Erdogan The Dictator doesn't go Bye Bye I'm not living there.

    Enjoy tomorrow....XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica it's so easy to slip into the laid back way of life here. I'm not sure about Erdogan going. I have a feeling we're stuck with him for some time yet...more's the pity.

      Delete
  2. Poor Dursane....but I'm glad it was a peaceful end for her donkey, cared for to the last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least she has her new mule Helen. And he is being as well cared for as the poor donkey.

      Delete
  3. Long live the slobs. As long as the shower is working, the rest is down to fashion and men, or wrong interpretation of men's expectations, or wrong interpretation of women's interpretation of men's expectation... Anyway, too complicate for the heat. Relax.

    RIP little donkey. Good to hear that there are turkish people caring about animals. Reading the TAG blog you start wondering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Johanna...up with the slobs! I've never been at all concerned about what men think of me or my appearance. I don't do superficial. I'm a take me or leave me as I am kind of person.

      It's rare to find Turkish people who really care for animals I'm sad to say, but I have found a few people in this village who do. Some of them are even following the TAG blog!

      Delete
  4. I'm so with you on this one Ayak. I too am an utter slob at home but in my defence at least I'm comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jacqui...at the end of the day it's all about comfort for me too x

      Delete
  5. I guess we all get like that sometimes. Leg deforestation is a major activity because I neglect for so long.

    It is very sad about donkey. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad K Ville, but I would have hated for her to linger on and suffer. Leg deforestation...yes that about sums it up!

      Delete
  6. Same here Ayak - I must spruce up a bit next week before I set off on my travels again.
    RIP Dursune's donkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reassured that I'm not the only one BtoB

      Delete
  7. It is a pity about the donkey but glad she didn't suffer. From a practical point of view.... how does one dispose of a deceased animal that is so big?

    I would be too whacked out to do much more than shower in such heat. Our weather is quite bracingly cool today.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know Maggie, I wondered the same thing...about disposing of the donkey. One day she was there and the next gone. I didn't like to ask because I wasn't sure I would like the answer.

      I'd love some of your cool weather xx

      Delete
  8. It's my feet, Ayak - walking around in open sandals in all terrains does nothing for them at all. And even if I 'do' them, they're back to rough again before the day is out. Enjoy your day out!
    Poor Dursune, poor donkey. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's how my feet have ended up so bad. Also the dust and heat doesn't help either. My feet weren't bad at all before I came to live here.

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about Dursune's donkey, but so pleased it hasn't been a long drawn out end. I do know what you mean about "slobbing"....when I realise I've put the same gardening clothes on 3 days running, and not ventured into the village at all, I realise I need to take a hold, and spend a while tidying me up, rather than the garden. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too easy to get into slobbing mode Janice. And it takes quite an effort toget out of it...for me anyway! xx

      Delete
  10. I'm glad Dursune's donkey hasd a peaceful end, Ayak, though I'm sure Dursune will miss her.

    I'm an archetypal slob at home too and will freely admit to never having lifted a razor to my legs, as I'm lucky enough to have very fine blond hair on them. I've always taken the attitude that anyone who gets close enough to my legs to spot the hair probably knows me very well in any case. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very sensible to have never shaved your legs Perpetua. I regret doing so for the first time in my teens, when it wasn't really necessary, and from then on it just encourages more hair growth

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x