Monday, 17 June 2013

Oh for some English weather!

I know those of you living in the UK are not going to agree with me.  You'll probably say I should think myself lucky to be living in this climate, when you're all waiting and hoping that you will actually get some kind of summer this year.  

But I have to own up to not being a hot weather person.  I moved to Turkey 15 years ago for love, not the weather.  I do love Spring and Autumn here though.  Temperatures around 20 degrees, cool enough at night to snuggle up under the duvet.  This is my perfect weather.

Today it's 36 degrees here in this village.  Not only that, we have almost gale force winds, which means that dust is flying everywhere.  It's impossible to have doors and windows open for air because the air is just too hot.    We are due a heatwave this week, someone mentioned that the temperatures are set to rise to 40 degrees.   I'd be tempted to spend the day under a cold shower...if we didn't have constant water cuts.  Another thing which is normal during the summer months.

July and August will be hotter still.   I won't be venturing far.  I don't relish the thought of waiting around for buses in this heat.  I should be used to it by now, but I'm not.

If there was a sun-worshipper out there, in the UK,  or even the North Pole, who wanted to swap places with me for the rest of the summer, I'd be very tempted to say yes.   But I'd miss Mr A and the dogs wouldn't I?

Roll on Winter.

12 comments:

  1. Well, today got declared a 'beach day' - first one of the year. It was 35 on the back house terrace. So we went to the beach to cool off in the sea.
    I just spoke to my son on Skype and he is unable to get his washing dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sensible to go to the beach today omentide. If I didn't have to get several buses to do so,I'd do the same. The mozzies are out in force tonight too, and some horrible black beetles...yuk.

      Delete
  2. No, that is far too hot.

    We had high temperatures in our last years in France.... apart from the horrifyingly low ones and the constant rain in between....and it knocked us both out.

    Weather is changing from the usual pattern here...but not dramatically, luckily, so we have warmth but not extreme heat and now have the little pool to sink into to cool off should things become too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does knock you out doesn't it Helen? I envy you your pool. I'd love one. I think it ought to go to the top of our very long list of priorities!

      Delete
  3. That would be too hot for me but we are having very dull, cool weather and it rains a lot.
    I guess we are never satisfied.
    I would like to see the sun a bit more regularly though.
    Hope you manage to stay cool.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too hot for me too Maggie. Temperature now (at 5.30pm )is 38 degrees. No sleep last night because it didn't drop below 30 degrees. Oh I'd love some of your rain!

      Delete
  4. I've given in and turned the air-con on even though I know it will start me sneezing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've avoided the air-con so far BtoB because it gives me a headache, but may well have to give in soon. I'm currently spending all day in the bedroom which is the coolest room, with the ceiling fan on for a while...until it gets to the point where it's just circulating warm air.

      Delete
  5. Poor Ayak, I really feel for you as I'm not a hot-weather person either. When we bought our little cottage in Normandy lots of people asked why we didn't buy further south where we were almost guaranteed a long hot summer every year. My answer is that this would be my idea of purgatory! 20 degrees is perfect and the thought of 40 makes me feel ill. I do hope your heatwave doesn't last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately Perpetua, we still have July and August to contend with..it will get hotter still.

      Delete
  6. I'd trade you in a second :-)
    You can come to Montreal, where it's between 10 and 20 degrees and partly cloudy and cool, and I'll go bask in that lovely dry heat... And eat real eriks and kiraz and karpuz and... I miss the fruit :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK Deniz...you're on! I wish! Today it reached 40 degrees. It's now 8.00pm and it 's still 37 degrees...phew.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x