Pages

Monday, 24 June 2013

Yesterday's day out....

...didn't actually happen.  The plan was to set off fairly early before it became too hot, spend some time with Mr A at the hotel, catch up with a friend, then go on to do a big supermarket shop.  Then Mr A would collect me and we take the shopping home.  He had intended to come home anyway last night, to see me to get his washing done.

However, when I spoke to him in the morning he couldn't commit himself because they were short of staff in the hamam, so he was having to stand in as masseur.

By the time he phoned me to say he could get home after all, it was early afternoon.  Too hot to wait around for buses, and too late to meet up with my friend.   So I ended up getting the village bus at 5pm, then the Bodrum bus from the main road, arriving in Bodrum at 6.15pm.   Mr A collected me and we set off to Kipa.  This is one of my favourite supermarkets.  It is owned by Tesco, so you can often find their products in stock, as well as much more variety of goods than I can find in the Milas supermarkets.

There is a pet shop right next door to Kipa and they had 15kg sacks of complete dog food for 39.90 lira.  It is a plain sack, with no fancy pictures, but the contents are good...at least my dogs are happy with the biscuits.  They will eat anything, which is a relief, as I struggle to keep costs down.  So I bought two sacks which will keep us going for a few weeks.

In Kipa I bought enough (more or less) food to last for about three weeks, so this will save me having to keep popping into Milas.

I phoned Mehmet the vet today.  Poppy desperately needs another haircut.  She will not let me near her with a brush, and her fur is becoming matted.  She also seems to have an eye infection, and I have now noticed that Blondie has the same problem.  No doubt they are passing it around.  Megan has had a weepy eye ever since we got her, but it's not the normal red eye or conjunctivitis that Blondie and Poppy have.  But I need eye drops for them.

I'm also concerned that the paraband collars they have which will last  the summer, although brilliant for keeping ticks at bay, and helping to  prevent leishmaniasis , don't seem to be as effective on fleas.  I can't see any fleas but the dogs are scratching...not a great deal, but it's getting hotter and I want to be prepared.   Having paid out a considerable amount for the collars, I'm concerned about now having to get four lots of Frontline as well, which is also expensive here.

A friend told me about a solution called Bayticol 1%.  It's only available from vets.  You have to measure out 10ml to each 10kg bodyweight.  The bottle contains 100ml and Mehmet will let me have one for a special price of 20 lira.  It's pretty much the same as Frontline, but I don't think vets publicise it because they don't make much of a profit from it.  However, Mehmet always does his best to help me keep down costs.

So, he will be ringing me in the next day or so, when he has time, to let me know he will be on his way to the village to sort out my dogs.

Last week something happened which made me think that attitudes towards animals are changing in this village.  One of the women who passes with the sheep, told me that she had a cat, and that she wanted to know what to buy to get rid of fleas.  A couple of days later I picked up some flea treatment from Mehmet for her.  She was delighted...and so was I.  It's so refreshing to find someone who doesn't treat cats as vermin. 

17 comments:

  1. I was surprised to find out that the paraband doesn't have any affect on fleas. Jake had to have an extra treatment every 3 weeks in Bodrum because of all the cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it surprised me too BtoB. Although I'm relieved that they work on ticks, especially with all the sheep around. We've not had one tick since they had the collars. Haven't actually seen any fleas yet, but I'd rather take precautions.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you didn't get your day out. But it's good to hear about the cheaper treatment. One small note of caution - my cat had a very bad reaction to frontline. He was OK the first time but started getting more and more short of breath after every treatment till I decided not to treat him with it any more...

    Oh, one of our neighbours came out with her rubbish today, followed by two cats with their tails in the air... I wondered what was happening until I saw her very carefully feeding the cats. By the bin. Our neighbours do seem to care a lot about animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a bit wary of Frontline omentide. I've heard several reports of bad reactions. Until I started on the paraband collars I was using an alternative to frontline on Poppy, which was ok. This solution comes recommended by a couple of friends, so I'll give it a go.

      It is very reassuring to see people feeding the cats isn't it? We still have 3 in our chicken coop which I feed every day.

      Delete
  3. Frontline seems to work well for Darwin - he'd picked up a lot of tics when we first moved to the country. Now he's quite clear. The collars here are horribly expensive.
    In this village, the cats all seem to be very beautiful Siamese or Burmese cats, which I thought were 'pedigrees' - I am allergic to them but if not, I'd have to have one as they are stunningly beautiful. They all seem OK, though friendly and purry like English cats!
    Hope you get your day out before too long, though you seem to have had quite a good day all in all!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too bad a day Annie. Quite productive in the end. The collars are expensive. I didn't mind when I only had one to buy for, but four is costly. However parabands do last for 5 to 6 months so I guess it's good value. Glad frontline is good for Darwin. Shame about your allergy to cats :-(

      Delete
    2. My neighbour, Sergio, has three dogs - and they share a collar. That seems to work too. Ax

      Delete
    3. My mind is boggling slightly at how 3 dogs can share one collar. I assume he has a rota for them ;-) But if it works, that's good xx

      Delete
  4. So sorry you missed your appointment with your friend. At least you were able to get your shopping done. Just noticed the photos of the boys. They are getting so big and so handsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kelleyn, shopping done...a big task out of the way for a while. Oh you noticed the photos...I put them on a few days ago. They are growing up so fast!

      Delete
  5. My daughter gets soemthing from the vet for fleas....taken by mouth once a month...about 17.00 Us Dollars for it. It works great on fleas and she is not doing it once a month but waiting to see how long it will work on Louie before she has to dose him again and so far it's been a month and a half. The vet doesn't make her buy the whole box but will see her one dose out of the full box. Nice vet..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of this Charlotte Ann. I wonder if they have it here...probably not, and in any case would probably be expensive. Great when you find a vet who isn't trying just to make a profit.

      Delete
  6. It may not have been the day our you planned, Ayak, but it seems to have been a useful and productive trip. I'm afraid I can't help on animal treatment, as we've never had a dog and our cats very rarely needed treating fro fleas, but I'm glad you've found a source of affordable food and flea treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been a more enjoyable day Perpetua, but yes it was productive nevertheless.

      Delete
  7. Those paraband collars are also expensive in Northern Cyprus and you are so right the fleas don't seem to mind them! We have three dogs and, despite these collars and odd doses of frontline, we never seem to fully rid them of fleas. However, after having one dog with leishmania, can't bring myself not to use the collars. Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle. I know what you mean. Once I started to use parabands, even though they are expensive, I won't stop using them. The Bayticol solution seems to work as well as, if not better than Frontline and works out a fraction of the price for each treatment. I wonder if you can get that in N. Cyprus?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look in the chemist or ask my vet next time I see him. x

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x