Pages

Friday, 12 July 2013

My versatile kitchen

Firstly, before I write this post, I seem to have deleted my previous post about waiting for the vet visit.  Goodness knows how I managed to do it.  I blame the heat which seems to have affected my brain.  If anyone knows whether it's possible to retrieve a deleted post on Blogger, please let me know.

This afternoon my kitchen became an operating theatre.  I cleared everything out, leaving the kitchen table in the centre which doubled up as the operating table.

Mehmet arrived, as usual out of breath and rushing from one job to another.  The poor man always seems to be working.    So to save time, instead of him having to take Freddie and Poppy to his surgery and then return them back to the house, we decided to carry out the procedures here.

It was fascinating to watch him castrate Freddie.   He works quickly and efficiently.  I would have liked to have taken photos of the operation (for those of you who are not squeamish) but I was too busy acting as his assistant.   After the op, we transferred Freddie to the sofa on the balcony to let him sleep off the anaesthetic.

The kitchen then became a grooming parlour for Poppy's haircut.  Again, Mehmet made a wonderful job of cutting her hair.   She does have some kind of skin allergy at the moment and has been chewing her feet and scratching.   (Mehmet thinks she is possibly allergic to chicken), so her hair is very short now which will make it easier for me to apply cream to her feet.  He also cut her nails. 

He is reluctant to sedate her to clean her teeth, because she is getting older and he is concerned about her reaction to sedation, so he has suggested I try cleaning the teeth with hydrogen peroxide, which should help to break down the tartar.

Freddie is now awake and has wobbled around the garden, bucket on head.   He's a bit unsteady on his feet  but he has had his first wee, so I know everything is working properly.  Mehmet tells me he is about 18 months old...older than I thought...so he won't be growing any bigger. 

The kitchen has now been thoroughly cleaned and is back to normal use.  I am about to make some very easy chocolate brownies.  The recipe uses just 3 ingredients and this is the first time I've tried it.  I'll see how they turn out and post up the recipe later.

12 comments:

  1. Castration, haircut and brownies- what a useful kitchen table. Hope the brownies don't have nuts in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Nuts" carefully disposed of BtoB ;-)

      Delete
  2. Gracious me...it's not just your kitchen which is versatile!
    Well done you and how nice of Mehmet to be so flexible.

    I'm glad Freddie's on his paws again...but I bet he doesn't like his lampshade.
    He seems a very versatile dog himself...removing rocks to get to where he wants to go, so I wonder how long the lampshade lasts.

    How are you to use the hydrogen peroxide?
    Dab on with cottonwool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Helen, exactly that, dabbing on with cotton wool.

      Freddie isn't happy with the lampshade and I can't see it staying on him for lond. He keeps looking at me with those sorrowful eyes that say "how dare you do this to me". He hasn't eaten yet but he did sing along with the Imam this morning so I know he's getting back to his old self.

      Delete
  3. This is just so funny, Ayak - I am laughing out loud as I think about it. It's not just the versatility of your kitchen table but the way you tell it...and Annie's wonderful dry and witty comment that sums it all up.
    Thanks for such a great post.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie I have to say I laughed out loud at Annie's comment...she was really on the "ball" there wasn't she (sorry :-) )

      Delete
  4. I've not been keeping up with all my blog reading the last few days, so I nearly missed this.....I don't know, if your' kitchen table could talk, what a tale it could tell. A great story Ayak. I hope Freddie is feeling happier by now, and I'm so pleased he joined in the call to prayer. He may have lost something...but not his faith ! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's recovered remarkably well Janice. Last night his bark returned, and naturally his faith is unwavering as he joined in the call to prayer at around 5am. He also insisted on going out for a run with the others this morning. I was a bit doubtful, but he came to no harm x

      Delete
  5. So Freddie has started singing again - I presume he's now a castrato!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh...thanks for that Helva xx

      Delete
  6. Coming late to this, Ayak, but it did make me smile at the thought of the stories your kitchen table could tell. Mehmet is a treasure and I'm glad Freddie seems to be recovering well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very lucky to have found Mehmet, Perpetua. He is so caring. And Freddie is doing great!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x