Pages

Sunday, 7 July 2013

Not the best month for birthdays

Today is my birthday.  Since moving here 15 years ago, I've cursed the fact that it occurs during the busiest time of the year in tourism, which generally means that I don't see Mr A.  Unless of course I make the journey to wherever he is working, and he can fit in a few minutes with me.  But this heat makes it difficult to attempt the bus journeys, and it's a Sunday which means the village bus only runs every two hours.

It would be nice if it was a little cooler, and I could at least sit outside and enjoy a glass of wine.  But no...this intense heat finds me in the bedroom either on the laptop, or napping.  Anything that needs doing like housework, washing, ironing, watering the garden, etc, has to be started around 5am, because by 8am it's far too hot for any kind of physical exertion.

I had just one birthday card today, from my brother, and that's only because he gave it to me when I was in England in April.  I love my brother.  He is so thoughtful, and his cards are wonderful.  Carefully chosen for the most appropriate words, that always make me shed a tear.  There may well be other cards on their way (I know of two or three that are) but they could arrive any time with the postal service the way it is here.

Mr A, like many men, isn't good at remembering birthdays.  It only happens if the date happens to come up in conversation up to a week beforehand (what I mean is that I usually drop a casual hint!).
But this year I didn't say anything.   And I wasn't expecting him home until next Wednesday, so I just resigned myself to today being just another normal day.

At around 10.30pm last night, I was in bed reading and Mr A phoned.   "I'm outside" he said.  What a surprise.  I got up and unlocked the door, and in he came with a present, a birthday cake and a bottle of wine.   The present is a practical one, and not something many would consider suitable for a birthday present, but I am delighted with it.  It is a lightweight upright vacuum cleaner that I have wanted for some time now, but it wasn't on my list of priorities.

My daughter had sent him a message yesterday saying "Don't forget it's Mum's birthday tomorrow".  How sweet of her, but apparently he had remembered because he bought the vacuum cleaner three days ago, not knowing which day he would be able to get home.

We enjoyed the cake....chocolate with layers of cream and crunchy honeycomb, with white chocolate curls on top, and covered with caramel and pistaccio nuts, and a glass of wine.  Delicious.




This morning my daughter skyped me and she, son-in-law, Billy and Jimi all sang Happy Birthday to me.  It was just lovely.  The only fly in the ointment was that there was something wrong with either my microphone or her speakers, because they couldn't hear me, and try as we might we couldn't solve the problem.  But at least I could hear them.   "Give Nanny a kiss" my daughter said.  So the boys both kissed the laptop screen several times which was both funny and touching.

Today I'll eat some more cake and drink more wine.  I'm on my own, but it hasn't been such a bad birthday after all.





33 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Ayak! I'm delighted that Mr. A. pulled off a surprise birthday celebration for you :D and that you've had/will have cards and that you had a sweet Skype visit...enjoy your day! (and under no circumstances use that new vacuum :) just so you'll know ahead of time my birthday is the 17th (Facebook may let you know) :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Theanne. Well I did switch the vacuum on to see if it worked, but that's as far as it goes today. Isn't it great that Facebook reminds us of birthdays...no excuse for forgetting :-)

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday!
    Mr. A is a real gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Helen. He has his moments!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday from France too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, that's so nice, birthday celebrstions aren't really a Turkidh thing so
    I'm very impressed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true BtoB, and I was quite impressed too.

      Delete
  5. Wishing you a very happy birthday, Ayak. I think it's lovely that Mr A surprised you like that, especially as he had actually remembered by himself, which is something DH often doesn't manage. :-) Even with technical problems it must have been great to see your family via Skype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perpetua. Yes it was lovely to see the boys and hear them even if they couldn't hear me. They are a couple of little chatterboxes :-)

      Delete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Happy Mr. A was very thoughtful on your birthday.....and love your gift b/c I need a new one myself.
    Nice that your brother doesn't forget and that you had a visit on the internet with your family.

    To me the cake and wine would be the best gift...take care and eat lots of that cake. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Erica. I'm afraid I've already eaten lots of the cake...well someone has to!

      Delete
  7. I'm always willing Mr A to get it right and he surpassed my expectations here! What a lovely surprise for you - and that cake sounds delicious!
    Happy Birthday, Ayak - it's now 11.30 here so your day is probably over - but it's only now we have started moving around again after a day of fierce sunshine. My Mr is outside digging! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. Oh this heat is driving me mad. It's now 4.30 am here and the dogs are very restless so I've let them out for a run. There are dogs barking all over the village so mine are enjoying joining in!

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday Ayak! Have a gr8 year ahead..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pinch of love: Thankyou xx

      Delete
  9. Belated birthday greetings - sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that's wonderful! He sounds so much like my husband, I think they must be relatives! :) You share a birthday with my father. We went to his house last night to visit and I think the actual gift was us leaving. He just can't tolerate small children anymore and our daughter was so excitable. I'm glad you had a nice birthday and hope the day after has been as well! :)

    TerriK in US

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Terri. Happy Birthday to your father too. Poor man...as we get older, children are better in small doses!

      Delete
  11. Ooops... a day late but ...Best Birthday Wishes from Surrey.

    Always enjoy reading your blog. Expect you know it's pretty hot here in the UK at the mo - tho obviously temperatures not as high as you are experiencing.

    Glad you had a special day yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Granny G. Thankyou for your good wishes, and I am very pleased you enjoy my blog. Continue to enjoy that good weather. Who knows how long it will last!

      Delete
  12. A belated happy birthday to you, Danielle. x.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very late to the party (is there any cake left, she asked hopefully) but heartfelt wishes for a wonderful birthday week all the same. Mr. A came up trumps this year, good on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joan. Thankyou. I ate the last piece of the delicious cake today...sorry!

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday! (Belatedly) and it did my heart good to hear that Mr A had come home for a visit.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Maggie. Yes it was a was a lovely surprise when Mr A turned up xx

      Delete
  15. I am so glad it was such a lovely day for you...and I love the new photo collage at the top of your page...fabulous. Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy you had such a lovely birthday!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x