Pages

Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Plans that go belly up

You all know my daily life is pretty mundane during the summer months. Mr A is working and rarely gets home, so it's just me with the dogs for company.  I don't go very far because it's too hot and I don't often get visitors.

I am pretty happy with my own company.  I like that I can eat what I want, when I want, and stay in my pjs all day.   Problems arise, but mostly I manage to sort them out, either properly or a temporary fix until something permanent can be done.

Mr A answered my urgent call for shopping and came home with it all late last night.  He just had time for a quick coffee then he was back to the hotel.

Yesterday I was delighted to get a message via the blog from one of my followers, Gisela.  She and her son are on holiday in Turkey at the moment.  They have a car and are travelling around.  It was their plan to drive from Fethiye to Bodrum today, and on the spur of the moment she wondered if we could meet up.   We made contact and the plan was for her to come here to the village some time today, and then go on to Bodrum.  I was very much looking forward to meeting them.

When I got up this morning, I discovered that my fridge-freezer had died sometime during the night.  Sod's law it had to happen just after it had been stocked with food. With temps in the late 30s, it's really not a good time for a fridge-freezer to be out of action.

I rescued as much as I could.  Some stuff can be used within the next couple of days, some things are in my neighbour's fridge, the rest will go into the dogs before it goes off.  There's quite a mess in the freezer compartment where things have defrosted, so a thorough clean was necessary.

I phoned Mr A and he said that he would come home later this morning with someone from work who he thought could fix the fridge.  If it wasn't possible then we would have to go into Milas and buy a new one.

In the meantime, I contacted Gisela because clearly our plans were not going to work out.   It was left that she and her son would go direct to Bodrum.  I was then hoping to get over to Bodrum some time tomorrow and meet them, before they set off for Izmir early evening.

I waited for Mr A...and waited...and waited.   Finally he called and said that he was unable to get here after all but he had phoned a friend in the village who would come up to look at the fridge.  So I waited for him.  Eventually he came, fiddled about with wires at the back of the fridge, plugged it in and it started working.  It is cold inside, but the thermostat doesn't appear to be working.  It's also making a terrific noise, almost as if it's about to take off at any moment.  I don't feel confident that it will keep going indefinitely.

It's a Beko fridge, so Mr A phoned the Beko agents in Milas and they will send an engineer out tomorrow.

And as if that's not enough, some pipes around the back of the house have started leaking, and there is no way I can sort them out, so a plumber (or similar type person) is also coming out tomorrow to have a look.

Of course I am hoping they turn up early morning to fix the problems, so that I can get over to Bodrum to meet up with Gisela, but the way things are going I'm not holding my breath.

12 comments:

  1. Oh dear - you hinted at this in the comment you left me, Ayak. Fingers crossed that it all gets sorted out smoothly and without further incidents...but just so you know, I don't think your life is mundane at all! Just have a read back at some of your recent posts to get a proper perspective!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. Well it feels mundane to me at times, but perhaps it's a little more interesting to those on the outside!

      Delete
  2. It all happens at once, doesn't it, and never when anyone's around to fix things.
    Fingers crossed you can meet up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does Helen. Just hoping nothing else goes wrong today. And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the meet up x

      Delete
  3. Hope all is fixed and nothing else happens.....they say when it rains it pours. I would love your life, keeping company with myself and a family of doggys'.

    Enjoy your day and I hope you get to meet up with your Blogging friend.....I missed my chance. :-( But I might come next year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I missed the meet up Erica. It's been a total waste of two days.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear....... these are the type of things that really bug me too. Hoping it all get sorted & that you can get to see your friend and the freezer fixed.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they have really bugged me Maggie. I waited for the Beko man, and during that time, the fridge-freezer actually became quieter so I got Mr A to ring him and cancel the appointment, and to check on whether the pipe man was due any time. He said he would be here this afternoon, didn't give a time, but guess what? He didn't turn up. I am furious because it meant I couldn't meet up with Gisela, when in fact I should have just gone ahead. Apparently the pipe man says he will be here tomorrow. I have told Mr A to tell him that I am not waiting in all day again. I am going out tomorrow morning and he will have to ring to find out when it's convenient to come.

      Delete
  5. Things could not be more frustrating ...how bloody annoying for you. You need to remind yourself that its not just Turkey though....my daughter stayed in 2 days running, all day, waiting for IKEA to deliver a wardrobe.....finally she got so angry, complained so much, that they gave her a £60 voucher in compensation....oh, and the wardrobe did finally arrive on day 3. However, not being able to meet up with Gisela must have been infuriating. Keep calm, count to 10, and stroke a dog. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine your daughter's frustration too Janice. It is so annoying and a total waste of time.

      The pipe man turned up at 8.30 this morning, just as I was about to go and catch the bus to Milas. My first reaction was to tell him to go away (haha being polite here), but it had to be fixed, so he went ahead. It was just a 5 minute job so I was at least able to get the bus.

      I am very disappointed that I didn't see Gisela after all. It was two completely wasted days, when in fact I could have seen her. OK have counted to 10 and stroked 5 dogs...that should do the trick!

      Delete
  6. Oh, what a nightmare for you, Ayak. So sorry you had to miss the meet-up with Gisela and how very frustrating to waste so much time waiting for the pipe man to call. Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very frustrating Perpetua!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x