Pages

Thursday, 18 July 2013

Whatever happened to normal telephones?

A very frustrating two days, stuck in the house, waiting for men to turn up and fix things, and missing the opportunity to meet up with a blogging friend.  I should have just gone ahead with my plans.  Gisela, when you read this, I am sorry and disappointed we didn't have chance to meet this time, but we will make better plans next time.

I had to go into Milas this morning to collect Freddie's vaccinations and pet passport from Mehmet.  I am quite an expert at giving the dogs injections these days.  It's more out of necessity as Mehmet can't always come out, and I have no transport to take the dogs to the surgery. 

I also needed to buy a new telephone for the landline.  Mr Clumsy Mr A dropped the telephone a while ago and it broke into several pieces, which he stuck back together with superglue.  It kind of works, ie you can make and receive calls, but you can't hear the person on the end clearly, and there is a continual crackling sound on the line.

I decided to get a cordless phone, for convenience, and looked for the simplest one on offer.  But phones aren't simple these days are they?   Well not to my non-technical brain anyway.  I bought one, took it home and plugged it in.   The phone language is set on Turkish (naturally) and the instructions are also in Turkish.  But there are far too many buttons and I can't get my head around what they are all for.

I googled the make and product number to get a set of English instructions, but can't find any.  So I sat and struggled through the Turkish ones.  I managed to change the language on the phone to English, but wished I hadn't because I still needed to work my way through the instruction leaflet in Turkish.

I have just about managed to work out how to make and receive a call.   The ring tone needs to be changed because it is currently set on a high-pitched squeaking sound, and I can't do it.  It's also very loud...and I can't change the volume either.

It has just taken me almost an hour to change the language back to Turkish.  And that's how it will stay until Mr A next pays a visit, and can set it all up.  Oh for the normal, uncomplicated telephones we had years ago!

I successfully gave Freddie all three vaccinations but I did manage to stick one of the syringes in my finger when I was disposing of it... typical me!

14 comments:

  1. Hallo dear Ayak! Yes, too bad it didn't work out this time, but as I said when I contacted you, it was the spur of the moment. If I had contacted you a little earlier we could have made proper plans. It was when I looked at the map and realized we were passing your neighbourhood that I got that thought:"what if I contacted her" and I'm glad I did.
    In the meantime we have reached Izmir. We leave tomorrow morning, this time by bus. We go directly to Sabiha Gökcen airport in Istanbul and home to Sweden.
    And I read your blogposts and really feel how annoying it must be for you with all these practical problems. A fridge freezer, lots of damaged food AND the pipes... oh, it's just one thing too much. :) One thing I've experienced in Turkey is that everything takes so long.You think you can fix aomething fast but there is always a lot of waiting included.
    Hope you can get your phone to work. I will have to buy a new one... :)
    All the best/Love, Gisela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gisela. I'm a bit late checking my blog today so by the time you see this reply you will be back in Sweden. Hope you enjoyed your time here, and we will definitely make better plans next time.

      I wondered if you tried the phone in rice as I suggested? Sometimes it works...probably not as I see you will have to get a new one. Love Linda xx

      Delete
  2. I used to smirk at my mother in law's inability to understand her phone, at my father's lack of understanding about the computer, at people's failure to record TV programmes.....and now, I cant work most of the features on my mobile and have dreadful trouble with our French land line phone......technology often baffles me, and I dread what may be just around the corner...so I have complete sympathy with you...adding Turkish to the mix, well, no chance for me anyway. Good luck with it all. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. I wasted too much time trying to understand the phone yesterday. I will leave well alone until Mr A can deal with it. He likes a challenge!

      Delete
  3. I sympathise...we finally bought a mobile 'phone...simple, said the sales bod...basic..a child can handle it.
    Well, we can't.
    We can make calls and receive calls...goodness only knows what the rest does apart from wake us up in the night with damn fool messages....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, when I'm out and about and look around me, I seem to be the only one with a simple, basic, normal mobile phone these days. Everyone else has these iPhone type things which do everything but the housework.

      Mr A says I should have one...not in a million years!

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about telephones...but I never had to set one up in a language different from my own. You get high marks for trying though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I won't be making any more attempts Theanne. I'll leave that for Mr A.

      Delete
  5. I can sympathize with you.....I have trouble trying to set it up in English and never mind in Turkish. I always have to get my daughter to do it for me....
    Well at least Freddie got his three vaccination injections.... and now you also.

    Have a great day....and I hope Mr. A will come home this weekend. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if there was anything left in the syringe Erica, at least I won't get distemper!

      Mr A made a fleeting visit last night, clothes washed, cup of coffee, and fixing a gate in the dark, then back to work.

      Delete
  6. I feel your frustration, Ayak, as DH has just had to track down a set of cordless phones for my 89year-old mother-in-law which doesn't need a degree in technology to use. he thinks he's managed it, but we'l;l only know for sure when they've been set up and she tries to use them. Fingers crossed......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perpetua, I hope for your mother-in-law's sake it's a lot easier to use than mine x

      Delete
  7. I've got the fancy phone and know how to use it but it is useless at the moment as the Greek island I'm on has the worst communications I've experienced for a while. I'm struggling to get my blog posted and have almost given up trying to comment on others. Let's see if this appears

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x