Friday, 16 August 2013

Time for an Update....

...not that I have much to write about.  It's that time of year.  Too hot to do anything.  

I continue with my nocturnal habits.  It's the dogs' fault.  They sleep all day because they're too hot, and as soon as the temperature drops at night, they start barking.  It's not continual, fortunately, but it always seems to happen just as I've dropped off to sleep.  There's no real reason for them to bark.  No trespassers, or someone trying to break in.   They'll see a cat wandering about, or they'll hear another dog in the distance, and feel they need to join in.

They go out for a run early morning, and again in the evening, returning covered in those little prickly burrs, which are difficult to get out of the short-haired Blondie and Freddie, and impossible to remove from long-haired Sammy and Megan.   Megan has also taken a liking to rolling in something rather unpleasant...probably cow excrement....anyway it stinks.   I cannot keep her still enough to wash her, so have resorted to spraying her with airfreshener for the time being.   It's not ideal, but it will have to do until Mr A gets back.  

Freddie is systematically destroying everything in sight.  The old sofa which Blondie once chewed a hole in, and I repaired, is on the balcony and Megan sleeps on it.  However, this morning  when I got up, the seat cushions were demolished, and the stuffing all over the balcony.  I have spent several hours today restuffing it, and sewing a huge patch to cover it up.  How long that will last, goodness knows.

Mr A is still working at a hotel hamam in Gumbet.  He is on commission only, and business isn't very good. People are just not spending money.   He has been trying to save money for the winter but isn't doing terribly well.  We have work to do on the house, mainly to deal with the water leaking through ceilings and damp coming through the walls, and rooms need redecorating.   The dry stone wall needs to be rebuilt at the back of the house.  But if he hasn't earned enough money by the time he finishes at the end of September, then he will probably have to go away to work during the winter.  

Sometimes it feels like we are leading completely separate lives.  He only manages to get home once a week, and then it's only for 2 or 3 hours, whilst I do his washing, and he falls asleep.  Most of our communication is done on the phone.

This may make you smile......just when I thought he had got over his wordwork phase, he now informs me that he is going to make an L-shaped sofa for the living room, if he has time this winter. He will then get some large cushions made and fabric to cover them.

Our sofa and armchairs do need replacing, but I had set my heart on some rather lovely L-shaped sofas I'd seen in Ikea.   However, they are too expensive, so Mr A insists he will make one.  And he says it will be better than the Ikea ones, because it will have cupboards for storage underneath.

Hmmm...watch this space!



20 comments:

  1. I am sure a Mr A sofa will be better than an IKEA one.....if you make sure you give him plenty of guidance, and a few pictures to look at before he goes ahead with it. The dogs sound like hard work at the moment, I do hope things cool off for you soon. I have to admit to being quite happy to have missed some mid 30s temperatures in France, while we have been back in England for 3 weeks....20 degrees is great ! Take care Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20 degrees would be perfect Janice. I'll reserve judgment on the sofa. It will be pretty indestructible I expect, so if it doesn't look good in our sitting room, we can always give it to the dogs to sleep on :-)

      Delete
  2. Freddie is feeling his feet, isn't he!

    And on the positive side...it's not shelves Mr. A will be making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freddie is a monster...he has been sent to try my patience!

      Thank goodness, no more shelves Helen x

      Delete
  3. ......this post made me chuckle so don't get mad at me it's just I was thinking of the look on your face when you came out in the morning and seen the ripped up sofa and all the mess.....I probably would have cried.

    I'm sure Mr. A will make a better couch then IKEA has.....I have 4 IKEA stores within 15 to 30 min. drive from my home and I absolutely hate it except for the cinnamon buns and kitchen stuff.....I find the furniture falls apart fast....or my husband manages to put it together wrongly :-)

    We have had a cool summer all month...with temps falling to 9 cel. at night and hanging around 20 cel. in the daytime...I feel like we missed summer. Which I love as I hate humidity, and it gets real bad here that you get warnings to stay put in an A/C area at all times....

    Take care and I can hardly wait to see pics of the new couch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not mad at you for laughing Erica. It's difficult not to! I can't even get angry with Freddie, because he looks at me as much to say "Just look what I've done..I'm so clever"!

      To be honest if I didn't live here I wouldn't be so enamoured of Ikea furniture. It's just that the furniture in other shops is just so elaborate and gaudy and I really dislike it. At least Ikea has sofas in plain fabrics. I guess if I give Mr A a design, something plain, it should end up stronger than anything we could buy.

      Delete
  4. When Jake "murdered" a cushion one night, it took me several moments to work out what had happened to our living room when I came down, so I can imagine what a destuffed sofa looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be thankful the sofa was on the balcony rather than in the house BtoB!

      Delete
  5. Love the update...oh my. I do feel your dogs should be trying very hard to be good for you, not destroying sofas and making work for you. I do, like the others, think Mr A will make a very interesting and useful L shaped sofa for you - FR wanted to make us one...out of concrete! Fortunately, our old ones fitted the house.
    I'm hoping you get some rain - it's made all the difference here. Tonight feels really cool.
    Hugs,
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh concrete sofas would be been interesting Annie.

      No rain here yet, and it seems unlikely now. The temps are set to rise over the next few days..as if we can bear anymore! It is so humid. Impossible to sleep. Now nearly midnight and it's still 33 degrees.

      Delete
  6. I think I would have felt like murdering Freddie if that had happended to me - if I had been able to catch him of course! That's my ususal immediate reaction, rage followed by acceptance -after all what can you do?
    Regarding the dogs barking at nothing would you try the collars that you can buy to train them to stop barking at nothing? You can get them in the UK -I don't know much about them or how well they work -maybe aomeone will know.
    I don't envy you the humidity - it makes sleep almost impossible and any activity so energy sapping.
    I was in IKEA yesterday buying shelves and was admiring some of their L-shaped couches. We have one in the sitting room and they are space saving and dead handy for loungin on - whe I get the chance. I know what you mean about the gaudiness of some Turkish furniture. I'm sure Mr A will do a grand job and you can sort out what ever covering you fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually publish comments from anyone under "Anonymous" but feel sure you must be someone I know!

      Anyway, I don't know anything about the collars you mention, but I will look into it. Although if they do anything that I would consider harmful to the dogs (like an electric shock or something) then I wouldn't use them

      I love the L-shaped sofas...much more room to sit on and they take up less space. If Mr A does make the sofa, I might be tempted to buy the fabric in the UK, where I'll get something more tasteful!

      Delete
    2. Peril from Kusadasi Biz - just don't like putting my name in public -a bit shy!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for popping back to let me know who you are. Even though Anonymous posts are mostly people spamming the blog with links to their websites, it's easy to see that this wasn't the case with you. Welcome to my blog x

      Delete
    4. Thanks - I really enjoy your blog and all the details about day to day like in a Turkish village, sometimes funny sometimes sad, but always eminently readable.

      Delete
  7. I think the heat is making both your life and the dogs' very wearing, Ayak, so I'm not surprised your blogging mojo has gone missing a bit. I don't know anything about Ikea furniture, but we once had an L-shaped sofa which was great, so I do hope Mr A can make you one, when he is home for longer than a few hours at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem very popular these days Perpetua. Maybe it's because modern houses have smaller rooms, and they do save space.

      Delete
  8. I am actually not anonymous, but had difficulty in the past trying to post a reply!!!
    I had to laugh Linda when I read about your dogs coming back from their walk with those sticky burrs as mine have them all the time. Little Matilda gets shaved at the beginning of June, but now her hair is long again and it is so hard to try and remove them.
    Mine also have a penchant for donkey poo!! All except for Robbie who is a dream dog, never causes any problems for me. Fleur.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fleur. I'm happy to publish "Anonymous" posts as long as there is a name on it. I know how difficult it can be to leave comments sometimes. I only moderate all posts because I get so much Anonymous spam, which clogs up the blog.

      Yes I wonder why they like rolling in poo so much. It's only Megan here, but she makes up for it in other ways, very affectionate and no bother. It's Freddie who is worst...and no sign of his behaviour improving.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x