Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Chickens, Warts and Water

Well after that outburst by Dursune on Sunday, I have now discovered...from her...that the chicken that Megan brought back to the gate in her mouth, wasn't killed by my dogs at all.  It was one that had died and Dursune had AGAIN dumped it on the hill behind the house, even though she was asked not to after the last time.

Her ranting and raving it seems was because she THOUGHT that my dogs might kill the chickens, but it seems that they don't.  They did of course kill one some weeks ago, but that was when the chicken came into our garden, so understandably they would attack something that invaded their territory.

However, I watched them closely today when I let them out for a run.  There were chickens about, and the dogs completely ignored them.  Megan will probably continue to bring home anything dead and decomposing that she finds.  Disgusting though it is, I doubt she will get out of the habit.

Dursune is now behaving as if nothing untoward has happened, so I am doing the same.  I guess my ranting and raving in retaliation probably makes me more acceptable to these village people...and so we move on.

It is just as well that she is talking to me because she has informed me this evening that the water will be going off again tomorrow....she thinks just for one day, but who knows?  I am prepared though.  All my washing is up to date.  I have just filled a lot of empty containers, had a shower and washed my hair (which I usually do in the morning) just in case the water is off when I wake up tomorrow.

On Sunday, when I was making a fuss of Sammy, I noticed a growth just under his top lip, which started on the gums and was covering his front teeth.  It is just flesh coloured, the same colour as his gums.  It doesn't bother him and doesn't prevent him from eating, and he is his normal lively self.  However, I have sent a photo of it to Mehmet the vet and Mr A spoke to him.  He immediately said that it was a wart.  Well actually they are not called warts in dogs, but are known as canine viral papilloma.   There is an article about it HERE, and in particular the last paragraph is interesting:

"Effective therapy for viral papillomas has been elusive though recently (May 2008) a study was published by a veterinary research group in Turkey found that a 10 day course of the antibiotic azithromycin was able to remove all lesions within 15 days with no recurrences during an 8 month follow up period"

So Mehmet is coming out tomorrow to check that it is what he suspects and because he is aware of the treatment discovered in this country, he is confident that he will be able to clear it up.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Linda If Sammy is an older dog it could be epulis, my oldies all got them, huge and numerous, a benign tumor that covers the teeth, some variants more troublesome than others need removing surgically if eating is causing bleeding or much drooling. Sorry to hear of your trouble with the lacksadaisical village people, glad you have reached an understanding with Dursune, onwards and upwards.
    Not long now until you get to cwtch with your special boys, safe journey jaynexx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jayne. Sammy is still quite young. Just over a year old as far as we know. I am uncertain about what this actually is. Both Mr A and I have had conversations on the phone with the vet today and I think something may have been lost in translation, so this is why he is coming out tomorrow to have a look, and then hopefully we can establish exactly what it is.

      Thankyou I am looking forward to my trip next week xx

      Delete
  2. So glad that your vet is coming out to see for himself...avoids more lost in translation problems.
    Roll on next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, here are so many different types of lumps or tumours common to dogs' mouths that it is essential the vet looks at it. I was amazed at all the different kinds when I googled it.

      Oh yes...roll on next week x

      Delete
  3. I wish I had the ability to forget cross words like the majority of folk here. I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too BtoB...not easy though is it?

      Delete
  4. Dursune´s behaviour doesn´t surprise me at all. And good that she told you about the water (though not what you´d really want to hear.)
    You have much to look forward to. I hope your daily trials lessen as you start to reach holiday mode! (Otherwise you´ll be knackered as you set off!) Fingers crossed that the water returns....

    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Annie I do need to be a lot less knackered than I'm feeling at the moment. Need to sort my sleep pattern out before I go. Difficult to break the habit of being nocturnal these days.

      Delete
  5. Hi Ayak,
    Our newest dog(she's 7 months old) had these about a month ago. She had about four. The vet advised us to cut grapes in half (the big, village type, not the small seedless variety)and to rub the juice on them. They disappeared quite quickly and we also gave her some vitamin tablets. Hope your dog's warts can be cured as easily.
    Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting remedy Danielle. And it worked! I have read that Vitamin C is good.

      Delete
  6. Glad Dursune is back to normal....she probably was just frustrated with no water, I guess like everyone else and being older.....
    Sorry to hear about your doggy...good the Vet is coming out to see himself.
    ......take care and hopefully that water won't be turned off for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dursune is always grumpy Erica but I am used to it. Although her recent outburst wasn't very pleasant. Water still off, but hopefully it won't be for 2 weeks like last time

      Delete
  7. Not the water off again, Ayak! I bet you can't wait for a reliable supply in the end. Glad that things are easier with Dursune, but you still shouldn't have to put up with that kind of behavoiur. I do hope the vet can sort out Sammy's mouth..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water was off for just two days this time Perpetua. Isn't it strange how we get used to things? My feathers weren't ruffled at all!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x