Pages

Saturday, 14 September 2013

Day 5 or 6...still waiting

I hope I'm not boring you all with my posts about water...or rather no water.  I'm pretty bored with it myself.  In fact I have now realised that I am getting used to it.  Strange how we can adapt to difficult situations.

Last night I had my daily wash with the minimum amount of water possible, and managed to wash my hair with a small amount too.  Of course it's not a proper hairwash, but I was desperate and it's made me feel better.

On Thursday evening, in anger, I posted on the village Facebook page, in Turkish (with the help of Google translate) a message to the effect that this amount of time without water is totally unacceptable.

Many of the village Facebook page members are people who have moved away from the village, but use it as a way to keep in touch.  One of these is a man who lives with his wife in Izmir and speaks excellent English.  He answered promptly, to ask what the problem was and why I was upset.   I replied and we continued our conversation on the page in English.  I said that it was ridiculous that those of us living at the top of the hill should have to collect water from the centre of the village.  In particular I was concerned about my neighbours Dursune, Sevke and another old lady further up the hill.  All elderly widows.  

Whilst we were talking he phoned his mother who lives in the village and confirmed that the work will be going on for a few days yet.  He agreed with me that it would have been better to carry it out in stages, but said that the situation had become so urgent...so many broken metal pipes...that it had reached the point where everything had to be replaced.

We then decided to delete our English conversation, because it would serve no useful purpose on the page, and he then posted a message himself.  He said...using very strong words...that whilst this problem was going on, that there are enough young and able-bodied men in the village who should be helping by bringing water up the hill, in particular for the elderly who are struggling.   He also sent me a private message to say that if he could be of any further help to me, then not to hesitate to ask.

He is a nice man.  I don't post on the village page that often, and then it's usually to remind people to leave water out for the street animals, or to stop chaining up their dogs.  Every time I post, he "likes" my comments and usually leaves a message of support.  His mother, by the way, is the lady who rescued a cat and asked my advice about flea treatment.  They are lovely people.

Yesterday I established that one pipe in the village is open, with a hose pipe connected to it, for people to fill up their containers.  At least it's better than having to wait and then queue up for a water truck.  I saw Sevke struggle up with 2 x 5 litre containers of water last night.   No signs of any able bodied men rushing to help just yet.   I won't hold my breath...all too busy playing cards and Okey in the teahouse.

I don't need to fill up again yet, but when I do, if I have the courage I may well fill my containers and drag someone from the teahouse to carry them for me.   The bloody men in this village are apathetic...they need to be shamed.

L

8 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! This is far tooo long to be without water. This winter I'm going to stock up on some big jugs of water I'll buy at the supermarket just in case we have some Ice Storm or something. The weather here is changing...like we get downpours like I've never seen before.

    Hope you get some relief soon. take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd love some of your rain Erica xx

      Delete
  2. What a super chap...and from what you say about the village you can see why he left!
    Yes, you drag one of those idle beggars out of the teahouse - and out of the middle ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Sevke today Helen, and she asked me if we could go down together to fill up tomorrow...I'm wondering if she is hoping I'll carry her bottles! It's a good idea though as I have more chance of dragging men out of the teahouse if she's with me.

      Delete
  3. Do you have access to a wheelbarrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a wheelbarrow Joan, but if you saw the uneven surfaces on the steep inclines up to the house you would see that it's impossible even to push an empty wheelbarrow. It would be easier to balance the bottles on my head! :-)

      Delete
  4. This is getting totally ridiculous, Ayak. Yes, go down with Sevke and try to shame the idle tea-drinkers into helping out. You'd think that the message from the man in Izmir would have had some effect, but they are obviously too thick-skinned. Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they hear only the messages they want to hear Perpetua

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x