Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Water and Bugs

...two of my biggest bugbears (excuse the pun).

A week ago I opened a new sack of dried dog food.  We had two sacks the same, and the first was fine.  When I opened the second one it contained little black bugs and tiny larvae...yuk!   I attempted to tip it into a large plastic bag to dispose of it.  The bag split, and contents including bugs and larvae were all over the kitchen floor.

Having googled information I now know that they are known as pantry bugs, or cereal bugs.  I don't care what they are called, they are a bloody nuisance.  There must have been the tiniest split in the bag of dog food and the bugs got in, probably while it was stored in the shop.   I fumigated the kitchen, wrapped up the dog food, and put it outside ready to be disposed of.  When Mr A paid a flying visit a few days ago, he took it away to give to a pack of stray dogs outside the village.  The bugs won't harm them.  Extra protein in fact.  And at least they will eat.  I could have put the offending biscuits in batches in the freezer to kill off the bugs, but my freezer is too small, and frankly I couldn't be bothered.

Unfortunately, some of the bugs are still appearing in the kitchen.  Not many, but I hate seeing even one.  I have bleached all cupboards and surfaces, but need to do them again to be sure.  But I need a constant flow of water to clean up properly....which brings me to my next gripe...

Water cuts.  They are frequent during summer months for the odd day at a time, and I am used to it.  I keep empty containers topped up with water to use for the dogs, to wash with and to flush the toilet. We have been in this village for 4 and a half years, and every time there is a prolonged water cut, the Muhtar says it's because the pipes are being replaced.   Well this job never seems to be completed.

The water went off around mid-afternoon yesterday, and I expected it to be back by this morning at the latest.  Now almost midday and Mr A has just phoned.  I mentioned it to him and he phoned the Muhtar, then called me back.  It is going to be off for FOUR DAYS!!!  

I have enough water to last today.   A water truck will come to the village at some point, but people will have to take their containers down to the village to fill.  There is no way that I can carry water up this hill.  Mr A is going to try to get home within the next 24 hours to bring me water.  

It will have to be used sparingly and only when necessary.   The bugs will have to wait for the big clean up.  I need a shower and my hair needs washing.  I need to go to Milas for shopping.  I won't go out without showering so I guess I'll have to stay at home for the next four days.

I know I've said it so many times before, but I will never again take water for granted.

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I feel pretty awful after this first day KV. Goodness knows how I'll be after 4.

      Delete
  2. Four days!

    Time for Milas to take over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Helen. I do not understand why they can't replace the pipes in stages, one day at a time. This is ridiculous.

      Delete
  3. Our water is off nearly every day too, despite 3 attempts to mend it , the water pipe outside our house is leaking (it was laid too close to the surface) and each day they cut the water to dig yet another hole and create another lake in the road. Luckily when we built our house we weren't anticipating ever having mains water so we have a 20 ton tank. As for bugs - I have moths, probably one bag of old flour in the kitchen but I'm loath to throw away all my supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get used to it being off for a day at a time BtoB, but 4 days is just too much.

      I was also loath to get rid of 13kg of dog food, but I couldn't keep it in the house and if it's left outside or in the old house/shed it would encourage rats. I don't feel so bad knowing that several street dogs had a good meal.

      Delete
  4. Four day water cuts are excessive...

    And sympathies re the bugs. We had Indian meal moths once in the UK... Well we had one really bad infestation and they were very difficult to eradicate. At least I got used to keeping everything in sealed containers....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately most of my stuff is in sealed containers omentide, so I haven't had to throw anything else away thank goodness.

      Delete
  5. This is not good, and Mr A being away, cant help. 4 days seems crazy, surely no one can be expected to manage....What are very old people supposed to do ?....mothers with young children ? I moan when the water is turned off here for a couple of hours ( twice in 2 years). Take care, Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not good Janice. I don't know how people manage but they seem to. I have to brave the bus today to go to Milas. I'm not too bothered about being a bit smelly as I'm sure everyone else on the village bus will be much the same!

      Delete
  6. Haha, water and electricity are two things I wont take for granted again either! 4 days :O It's not been off longer than 12 hours since ive been here *touch wood* :( Nothing worse than not being able to flush the toilet or wash, bleugh. You're right, they should have the best water/electric system by now the amount of replacing pipes, wires and 'improving' they do. I had those bugs in my kitchen too, the little gits seem to live forever, i guess they can live off the tiniest amount of food. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Danni, not being able to flush the toilet is the worst thing for me. I can almost put up with not having a shower as long as I don't come into contact with anyone else!

      And those bugs will just not go away :-(

      Delete
  7. Was there any warning water would be shut off? Guess I'm too spoiled....want at least a weeks notice. Don't they think that it's summer and people need to prepare? I'm feeling for you. It's in the high 90's here and humid...showering daily has become not only a pleasure.... but thinking of you......also a privilege. So much I take for granted and I really need to be more grateful. Hope your water is turned on sooner than planned. Pat McDonald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat. There may well have been a warning over the public address system. Unfortunately I can't hear it clearly up at this part of the village so probably missed it.

      I hope too that the water comes back sooner than anticipated, but this is Turkey and it's more likely to be later rather than sooner.

      Delete
  8. I'm trying to think of useful sympathetic words, Ayak, but I don't think there are any. Just so sorry and so frustrated on your behalf. Four days is too long to cut people off from water without the need being an emergency. It does sound as though the people of your village are being taken for granted by a very unsympathetic 'management'. Time to be a village revolting (and not a revolting village!)

    As for the bugs - again, no words will make it any better. I'm not touching wood or saying anything as we've had a choice selection of insects around this summer....but at least in single numbers. Fingers crossed all gets sorted as soon as possible, if not sooner.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, the people of this village are so laid back that nothing seems to rattle their cages. I doubt many of them regularly shower anyway so they won't miss the water as much as I do. Mr A came home last night with bottled drinking water. It's all he could manage as the water truck isn't due in the village until tonight and he can't get home then. And there is no way I can go down to fill up containers and walk back up the hill with them.

      I had to go into Milas today. So I washed in drinking water and set off. I reckoned that I wouldn't be quite so smelly today, Day 2, than I will be on day 3 or 4. It's hot today. I'm back home, sweating buckets and can do nothing about it. I did manage to get some strong bug spray so if that works, at least that's one problem dealt with.

      Delete
  9. Those bugs are persistent little things, aren't they! I had a bag of bird seed do the same thing and I hope that the bugs haven't spread. Ugh!
    Water is one of the most precious of commodities.
    Well we wouldn't be here without it.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a shame about the dog food, Ayak, but at least it wasn't wasted. I know how annoying it is to try to get rid of any insect infestation, so I hope your new spray does the trick.

    As for the water, four days without it is unjustifiable in a supposedly developed country. Surely Milas must take over and sort things out before long. Being on our own well in Wales for all water, I never take water for granted and hate to see it wasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking we ought to have our own well Perpetua, or if not, an extra tank. I am sadly getting used to this now..who would have thought it?

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x