Thursday, 24 October 2013

Village weddings

It's the time of year that most weddings seem to take place.  Early winter, before the bad weather sets in.

I'm probably one of the few foreigners living here who actually dislikes village weddings.  They tend to go on for days which I find tiresome.    I was about to go into detail about a typical wedding, but before I started typing this post, I noticed that my blogging friend Danni had just published a post about her experience of a Turkish wedding, so to get a different perspective, you can read about it HERE

Why do I dislike them?   Firstly, I hate the way men and women are segregated.  In this village, all the women will sit together drinking tea, while the men sit together getting drunk on raki.   I have no desire whatsoever to sit in the company of women, drinking tea till it comes out of my ears, and watching my husband, who can't take his drink, getting the worse for wear.

We were invited to a wedding last weekend.  "Fortunately" I wasn't feeling well, so had an excuse not to attend.  Mr A said he would go for a couple of hours.   Eight hours later he returned home, blind drunk.  He knows he should stop at a couple of glasses of raki, but he is easily led by the men of this village, who do consume a considerable amount of alcohol regularly.   Proof of this is the number of elderly widows who lost their husbands years ago to the effects of alcohol abuse.

And whilst all this alcohol is flowing, we have the men with guns.   They love to fire them in the air in celebration.  This worries me tremendously.  Alcohol and guns do not mix, and there have been many incidents in this country of people at weddings being accidentally shot.

We have two more invitations.  One this coming weekend, and one the following weekend.  Now I have to think up more excuses not to attend.

8 comments:

  1. Yep, alcohol and guns scare me too, hope you find the excuse you need xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll think of something auntiegwen x

      Delete
  2. For sure 'guns' and 'alcohol' don't mix toooo well. I would be shaking in my boots sitting there at the wedding thinking the bullet might ricochet right into me....when they start shooting them guns. I know this is drama but I've seen a few Turkish TV Dramas where this always happens at a wedding.....so that would be in my mind.

    Well maybe you could limp around and say you sprained your ankle and can't walk around up and down those hills and the next weekend have a terrible toothache and the Dentist is out of town.....just a few excuses..hehehe LOL.

    Take care.....XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions Erica. I'll add them to the list ;-)

      Delete
  3. I think we must have an excess of young adults because we seem to have had weddings non-stop all year. The"only in autumn" seems not to work here any more. We also have fireworks as well as non-stop drums and guns. As you can read, I'm not a wedding fan either. The first one or two were interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There does appear to be an excess of weddings this year BtoB. Yes, the first experience is interesting and we all like to experience something different. I don't like to offend by refusing invitations, but then again so many people attend that I wouldn't be missed.

      Delete
  4. From your description I don't think Turkish weddings would be my thing either, Ayak, at least not after the first one for interest. I hope you find the right excuses for the next couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to avoid the second one last weekend Perpetua, and I'm now working on an excuse for the third one this coming weekend!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x