Pages

Sunday, 24 November 2013

Bones

Dogs just love them, but not all dogs can cope with them.  The four big dogs who have spent the first year at least on the streets get very excited when Mr A manages to find bones at one of the butchers in Milas.   They have of course managed to survive on all sorts of rubbish before I rescued them, and they still manage to find all kinds of rotting parts of dead animals when they go out for a run, and insist on bringing them home.   You can take the dogs out of the streets........

I've learned from experience that Poppy loves them but her little stomach rejects them and hours after chewing a bone, she will throw up, so I'm afraid she has to miss out.  

A sunny day yesterday, and the flooding having more or less dried out at the bottom of the village, enabled Mr A to get into Milas to collect another two 15kg sacks of dried food and pay the vet's bill for Sammy's operation.   He also managed to find an old cupboard in one of the secondhand shops, very cheap, which we need to store towels, blankets and the sacks of food out in the shed to keep them dry and secure.

He called in at the butcher's shop where we occasionally manage to get bones, and came away with a huge bag full of knuckle and marrow bones.  A real treat.  At one time these would be given away or thrown out, but we now have to pay for them.  I think it's a sign of the times that nothing these days is free.  It would seem that people are desperately hard up and now buy bones for making soup.  The butcher has enough customers for them, so if we want them in future, Mr A will need to phone him to reserve some for us.

After chopping up the bones into manageable chunks,we gave one each to the four big dogs.  Sammy immediately takes his into the dogs' room, Blondie and Freddie chew theirs down by the gate, and Megan goes up to the top of the driveway with hers.  She is so lazy.  She will chew for half an hour and then give up, by which time Freddie will have demolished his bone and start on hers.

Poppy stays in the house with a chewstick, sulking because it's not a bone.  I wasn't sure how Monty would manage with a bone but decided to give it a try, and he spent a couple of hours with his on the balcony.  It's now 3am and Monty has been throwing up.  He is now fine and back to sleep ...and I'm wide awake.  No point in going back to sleep because the 4 big dogs will have me up at 5am anyway!    So no more bones for Monty I'm afraid.  It's all trial and error.

Mr A continues to feed two, sometimes three, dogs down in the village every evening.  He has persuaded the teahouse owner to keep water topped up for them in an area away from people.  And he has made a few threats too.  The men are very cruel and will kick the dogs if they come near or throw stones at them.  Mr A can be quite intimidating when he is upset, and has told the men in no uncertain terms that he will be extremely angry if he sees this happening.  They think he is crazy and ask him why he doesn't keep cows or sheep instead of dogs...they just don't get it.

Mr A has tried to take some photos of the dogs feeding, but they are so timid that he has to put the food down at a distance then retreat.  If he tries to get near them when they are eating, they run away.  It will take a while for them to trust.  

There were far more dogs around, and we still cannot find out what has happened to them.  I fear the worst, but no-one will own up to disposing of them.  However we know from experience that it won't be long before more arrive, and we will continue to feed them, and protect them, whether people like it or not.

All this costs money, and I am so grateful for the few donations I received recently which has helped tremendously, but we need more to continue to feed not only our rescues, but to make sure that any strays in the village can survive the winter.  When we have gained their trust, we will gradually arrange for them to be neutered and spayed, to keep the population under control.

You all know how hard I find it to ask, but if you want to help, please go to the Paypal button on my sidebar.  Every little amount helps.  Thankyou xx







10 comments:

  1. Well done to you and Mr. A for feeding the strays and for threatening the local men, they will take notice of Mr. A !!
    I have to pay for bones for the dogs and have done for years. All of mine love bones and your Freddie sounds like my Hugo, a real glutton!! Hugo steals everyone`s food, even the donkey`s apples and carrots.
    My little Matilda who is the same size as your Poppy and also looks very alike, is the worst for bones, even sheep horns, I don`t know what she find nourishing in sheep horns.
    Again, love reading your blog.
    Lots of love. F.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Fleur, Freddie is a little bugger, ready to pounce on all the others' food if I don't hang on to him. Megan is the one for bringing sheep horns and cow hooves home. She's too lazy to chew them, just drops them outside the gate as a present for me I think!

      Delete
  2. I remember the days of free bones. I get a bag a week from Tansas. They charge about 5 TL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were getting them free up until quite recently BtoB. We usually pay about 5tl too now, although it depends on the quantity and quality. Yesterday Mr A paid 10tl but they were worth it, knuckles and marrowbones...lots of nourishment.

      Delete
  3. Sorry that Monty cant cope with the bones, but he and Poppy can commiserate together at least. Mr A really is a hero isn't he ...all this , and breakfast in bed ! Hope you manage to catch up on some sleep. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice I feel sorry for Monty because he really did enjoy his bone, but throwing up during the night on the bedroom floor is something I'd rather avoid. Little devil found an old bone out in the garden this morning. It was disgusting so I had to take it away from him...ahhh!

      Delete
  4. We get bones on the market in San Jose...a token price for ordinary bones and marrow bones thrown in free.
    All the dogs like them....and though I kept them away from the pernicious poodle puppy she managed to appropriate one - bigger than her head - and chewed away at the gristle for hours.
    So far no problems...

    It's not only in Turkey that men are cruel.
    Dogs used to be dumped on a track off the road near our last house in France and I used to put food and water by our gate.
    Only to find the farmer over the road chasing the poor things with a stick.

    So then I had to go down to the track with the dishes, containers, etc, which made it much harder to get them used to me and much more difficult to catch.

    I could have done with Mr. A's approach there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen I'll never understand the cruelty inflicted on these animals as long as I live. The animals cause no harm, so why do these excuses for human beings feel the need to punish them. I just don't get it. It's funny how dogs in need know how to find us isn't it? They manage to find you quite easily in CR don't they? xxx

      Delete
  5. No free bones here either from what my sister says, Ayak. She has to buy them for her dog. At least now you know that Monty can't tolerate bones. He and Poppy do seem to be made for each other.

    It's sad how cruel and neglectful people can be to animals. I support our local Cats' Protection League refuge, from which we've had some lovely cats in the past, and they are constantly having to take in dumped or abandoned animals. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how people can dump their pets Perpetua. It happens here amongst the expat community. People decide they want to return to their home country and just dump the family cat or dog on the streets. So heartless....and the UK are supposed to be a nation of animal lovers!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x