Pages

Friday, 22 November 2013

I may be gone for some time

This is an attempt at a post before I am disconnected.

Today we had one of the worst storms I can remember.  The thunder was so loud it seemed to shake the house and the lightening so vivid, it was like being in a war zone.  

We pulled out all the electric plugs then decided also to trip all the switches in the fuse box to be on the safe side.  One flash of lightening produced a loud bang inside the house which appeared to come from the fuse box, and we could smell burning.   Mr A checked inside the box but all seemed to be OK.

Once the storm had subsided he tripped the switches again and electricity was restored.  I plugged the wires back into the modem and switched on my laptop.  No internet connection.  We phoned TTNet but as there has been a lot of damage from the storm, all they could do was add my name to the list of problems being passed on to the engineers to deal with, and gave us no idea when this would be likely to happen.

In the meantime, I am using my dongle which I keep for such emergencies.  The problem with this is that I can just about manage to open my email box, get into Blogger, and occasionally get into Facebook.  The oddest thing with Facebook though is that I type out a status, and it just disappears on it's own without me pressing any keys.  But all this is very s l o w and it's very frustrating.

There is another problem with the dongle.  It's on a pay as you go tariff, and I have not topped it up for months so I'm pretty sure it will disconnect at any moment.  I can't log into my bank account to top it up.

About half an hour ago I checked the modem again and the wires leading to it, only to find that I had forgotten to remove the wire from the splitter box that runs into the house.  The splitter box had exploded and burnt out, clearly hit by lightening, and the plastic connector was stuck in the splitter box leaving an exposed wire.

I found a spare splitter box, and some spare plastic connectors, so it could easily be fixed.  But there's not much point because Mr A has just received a phone call from TTNet to tell us that the whole village is without internet connection and they have no idea when they will have engineers available to fix it.  

I could go into Milas tomorrow to top up my dongle....but it's highly unlikely because the village is flooded and impossible to get in and out at the moment.  More rain is due tonight, so here I am confined to the house with no connection to the outside world.

 And my dogs are completely unperturbed by all this.   The four big guys have been snuggled up in their cosy room, whilst Poppy and Monty have slept through it in their beds in the bedroom.

Well there's nothing else for me to do now but go to bed early and catch up on some of the many books I've been meaning to read.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible....I hope.

Update 6.00am.  Up early with the dogs so Mr A fixed the wires and connected to spare splitter box and...hey presto...we have internet connection.  TTNet must have resolved the problem overnight, unless we are just one of the lucky ones, being up on the hill, and those down at the bottom perhaps still don't have connection.   If that is the case it's kind of karma isn't it?  Remember when those at the bottom of the village used all the water so there was none left for us at the top?

The phone line is dead but that doesn't bother me too much and will no doubt get sorted in due course.

16 comments:

  1. Oh poor Ayak, what a dreadful nuisance for you. We'll be here when you get back online. In the meantime enjoy your books and I hope the weather will be kinder to you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have internet! See my update xx

      Delete
  2. Hope you don't get disconnected. These storms do seem to be getting very severe, don't they?
    Glad Sammy is doing well.

    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie we are connected again I'm pleased to say. And Sammy is back to his normal self, for now...thankyou xx

      Delete
  3. I chose 5 minutes before the downpour to go to the gym in Bodrum . I have never got so wet so quickly in my life. Luckily out internet is ok so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We almost went into Milas just before the biggest downpour BtoB. The only thing that stopped us was that water had found it's way into the front of the truck.

      Delete
  4. I hate those very loud thunderstorms too! It's awful when you wait in anticipation of each lightening strike and count the seconds to see how close it is.....I'm thinking of you both and hoping it will clear away soon. Keep yourselves warm and enjoy your books. Sometimes it's good to have a break from the internet.... I topped up my dongle credit for 3 months in advance in October and never got to use it, we had to fly back home urgently. If only I could have posted it to you, you could have it as a second back up.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noreen. Well internet is back now so no problem. The storm was so bad there was no counting between lightening and thunder...it all happened at once.

      Delete
  5. I hope your access is restored soon...

    I got up in the middle of last night to disconnect the netbook from an unprotected socket. Our electricity went down for about 20 minutes this morning. Thankfully the internet has remained.

    Though I've seen some dramatic photographs of flooding under the railway bridge on the Sirince Road. They did some work on the drainage over the summer, but it doesn't seem to have been sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I,m connected again omentide (see my update). I saw your picture of the flooding on Facebook, as well as others of different areas. Drainage is a huge problem here isn't it?

      Delete
  6. That storm yesterday was a corker!! My land was flooded and I thought my road would get washed away. Luckily, it didn`t and I was so relieved because I was meeting a friend in town for lunch.
    The electricity normally gets cut at my place too, but yesterday, I was lucky.
    Rain is forecast for the next week!!! I am glad you have your internet restored.
    Take good care. F.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a bad one Fleur. However yesterday was dry and sunny, just what was needed to start drying everything out, although with more rain due,the village will be flooded again.

      I hate being disconnected from the internet...my link to the outside world!

      Delete
  7. I actually have always enjoyed the thrill of a storm but agree that I'd rather it happened somewhere else and didn't interfere with my internet connections..or anything else electrical. It certainly was right on you, wasn't it?! Glad the dogs weren't bothered - Darwin's not either. Great news that them down the hill are still without!! I laughed rather wickedly when I read that. Take care, Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm afraid I gloated a bit Annie. Serves them right. The flooding in the village dried out yesterday with a fine day. Still pretty muddy everywhere though, and more rain to come.

      Delete
  8. We had battened down the hatches and were braced for the storm as we normally get it down here soon after you, but ours was an anti-climax. Just a normal storm and some rain. However, it has just started to pour with rain here so I hope we are not getting a delayed follow up from yours. We do have some cracking good storms here don't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved storms Jacquie but I'm afraid I find some of them here quite terrifying. Particularly when there are loud bangs inside the house and the smell of smoke. We have lost 4 or 5 modems to lightening strikes since we moved here, plus a Digiturk box (although we no longer have Digiturk). I immediately disconnect everything at the sniff of a storm these days and am so annoyed that I forgot the splitter box.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x