Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Monty

I am a member of several animal rescue charity pages on Facebook, and I am sure my friends get sick of me sharing all the stories of dogs that need loving homes.

There are groups consisting of mainly expats, but also many very kind Turks, who do so much to help the dreadful plight of the street dogs in this country.   Sometimes the stories are sad, but sometimes there are happy endings when a dog is found it's forever home. (There is a list of Facebook pages for some of these rescue charities on my sidebar, together with pet transport and vets)

I have criticised Facebook often, but this sharing of information can be so helpful in providing a wonderful future for these desperate animals.

I've been following the story of a little white dog called Monty in Ovacik (Aydin Province) for about a month.   Monty is now 7 months old.  Like so many others, he was taken off the streets as a pup and used as entertainment by a restaurant, to attract customers.   And also like so many others, once the season ends he is of no use so is dumped back out on the streets.  Thankfully he was found by one of the members of a rescue charity in Ovacik.  She took him home and has cared for him, whilst trying to rehome him, because she already had plans to return to the UK.

The time is imminent so it is now very urgent that he finds a home.  The alternative will be that he will end up in the  council shelter.  These are really not nice places, although there is a team of dedicated volunteers who do what they can to give extra love, food and care, and try to find homes for the dogs there.

Monty is now house-trained and apparently a very friendly little chap.  He's not very big and I don't think he would do at all well in the shelter.

This morning, after a lengthy discussion with Mr A, I made a phone call to one of the charity organisers, and we are going to adopt Monty.   The charity have arranged for him to be neutered by their vet tomorrow and to receive his vaccinations, then we will have him early next week.  It is possible that a pet courier may bring him as far as Mugla for us to collect, but if not we will drive the 83km to Ovacik to collect him.

Why another dog when we already have five?   It's easy to answer that (apart from the fact that this little guy urgently needs a home).   Megan and Sammy are best friends.  Blondie and Freddie are best friends.  All four live in their outside house (now furnished with carpet, sofa and sofabed).  They get on well with Poppy of course, but she lives in the house and the others are a bit big for her to play with.  She also needs a friend and we think Monty will be perfect.   We can't wait to meet him!  Here he is:






10 comments:

  1. He looks adorable. You and Mr A. have very big hearts , and Monty is a very lucky dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looks like a lovely little chap Janice. He's doing well after his op and should be with us in the next day or so xx

      Delete
  2. He is adorable...I love the one ear raised higher than the other....and Poppy will soon establish the pecking order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Poppy will always be the boss Helen...no doubt about it xx

      Delete
  3. He's adorable! Welcome to the family Monty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deniz...can't wait to get him x

      Delete
  4. Came here as a friend posted something on my blog site directing me here. Love love love your site and all you're doing to try to help our furry brethen find forever homes. I've been involved in dog rescue with my hubby for the last 28 years, mainly rottweilers but also lots of other breeds. Always happy to meet an animal loving sister. Bless you! Paulette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paulette and a warm welcome to my blog. Thankyou for your kind comments. I'm also very pleased to meet another animal lover xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh, he is so sweet, Ayak and looks like a very bright little dog. I can quite see why you couldn't resist adopting him, but perhaps six is now enough....? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is cute isn't he Perpetua? Well 6 should really be enough...but you know me!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x