Pages

Friday, 15 November 2013

My faith in human nature....

...is something that never really leaves me.  OK there are times when things happen that make you dislike, or even hate, human beings, particularly cruelty to children and animals.  This really gets to me, but I have to tell myself that these are very disturbed individuals, and that most people have a good side to them.

I have recently been overwhelmed by how people want to help.  Even people I don't know.  Joanna, who volunteered to drive halfway with Monty for us to collect from Gokova, with a couple of big bags of towels and sheets, given by supporters of the Ovacik rescue group.   Meeting Sonia who runs the Gokova rescue group, who kindly donated worm tablets and a 15kg sack of food, some dog collars and leads, and a few treats.

I am in desperate need of blankets for the dogs, and I posted on a Bodrum "for sale or swop" Facebook page to see if anyone in the Bodrum area had anything they would be happy to give.  I asked that if anyone was coming to the airport or to Milas, that we could collect, or that at some point we would make a trip over to Bodrum to collect.

Immediately, it was picked up by someone called Anna who lives in Bodrum, who not only had items to donate, but also posted it on her own page.  People responded, and Anna has kindly been collecting and receiving items and storing them.  Someone has also offered to pay for a sack of food for the dogs.

In the meantime, our lovely Annie from BacktoBodrum blog, noticed Anna's post, and offered to bring stuff over from Bodrum to my house. It's possible that there may be too much stuff to fit in to Annie's car, so we thought we would do a trip over in the truck.   However, we have problems with it at the moment.  Even though the gas cylinder was fixed on our way to collect Monty, it is still jamming on and off.   The starter motor is doing the same.  I blame these awful roads, so bumpy that old vehicles like ours don't stand a chance.  

We're not in a position to pay out to fix it at the moment, so Anna is going to transport as much as she can in her car on Monday, meet Annie in Guvercinlik which is about half way to our village, and Annie will bring it over to us. 

I have also received a couple of donations since I put the Paypal button on my blog, and I am just so grateful.  We have bought some more sacks of food, and have started feeding some of the strays in the village.  I'm hoping that we can continue to do this, and in this respect have completely swallowed the pride I had before about not wanting to ask for anything.   It would seem that if the above is anything to go by, people really do like to help.

If you want to donate a little something, the dogs and I will be very grateful.  Don't feel obliged however.  I know that some of my followers already support good causes closer to their own homes, and others simply can't afford it.   And that's fine.

A big thankyou to everyone who has helped me so far.   You are amazing xxx

10 comments:

  1. People want to help Ayak, because they can see what a great job you are doing. I have such admiration for you. I think the donate button is a good idea, and from time to time you should do what you have done today...update people on what is happening, and remind people about the donate button. You are right of course that people often have their own "causes" that they are involved with, but many of them, who follow your blog, will know how hard things can be, and will want to help, even if only a little. I am sure every little bit helps. Good luck with it all. Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Janice. You know how hard it is for me to ask, but you have made it much easier for me to do so. I so want to make a difference, even if it's just a drop in the ocean of this immense problem, and meeting others who want to help too has spurred me on. xxxx

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that people are rallying round in concrete ways with blankets and dog food, Ayak. By the time all the stuff has arrived, you won't know where to put it, though I'm sure the dogs will soon help you to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it Perpetua? Storage may be a bit of a problem. I will have to get Mr A to build something :-)

      I will keep only what is needed here, and anything surplus to requirements I have promised to pass on to Karen at the Turkish Animal Group, who are always in need of items such as blankets with winter fast approaching xx

      Delete
  3. I am so pleased for you Ayak and after a very difficult time for me with people in general, it is heartwarming to know there are lovely people out there.
    You and your husband are doing wonders and people want to help you and now you are letting them!! It is difficult I know to ask for help. I am independent like you.
    Well done to all the people who have gone out of their way to help you. Love, F.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Fleur. I know that after four and a half years in this village, the locals are not willing to do anything to help. That will never change, but people from other areas DO care, and they prove it. There are some really lovely people out there xx

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to meeting Monty. I won't bring Jake as he'll take up too much room in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing you too! Jake might also feel a little overwhelmed by 6 dogs leaping all over him! We'll have to do a walk sometime with Jake, Poppy and Monty xx

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post, Ayak! Sorry I haven't been around much so have missed much of what's been happening with you - but it sounds busy! What I really like is reading how people pitch in once they know they can ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia. I agree, there are a lot of really lovely people out there x

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x