Thursday, 14 November 2013

Off to England for New Year

Monty is settling in well.  He is happy to play outside with all the dogs and when he's tired, he and Poppy sleep on the balcony sofa.
Chilling out on the balcony, admiring the scenery

 Feeding time is fun a bit of a nightmare.   The four big dogs get me up around 5am.  They go out up the hill for a run, and then return for breakfast, sometimes one or two at a time, and sometimes all together.  I have to separate them...two in the garden, and two on the balcony to avoid squabbles.   It was easy to give Poppy her food in the house at the same time.  She doesn't always eat it straightaway, often picking at it later.

Monty loves his food, and gobbles it up very quickly.   I can't feed him in the same room as Poppy because he will eat hers as soon as he's finished his.  So he eats in the kitchen and Poppy in the bedroom.  Believe it or not, I have now resorted to putting Poppy's dish on the bed because Monty can't jump up with his little short legs, but Poppy can.  This is the solution now until I think of another one!

Back in the summer I told you about my daughter's cancer scare.  After her 3-year routine smear test, high grade cells were discovered.  She had the colposcopy procedure carried out in hospital, and at the same time the cells were removed.   She now has to have 6-monthly checks for the foreseeable future, and if more cells appear she will receive treatment.

I really wanted to be there with her at the time, but I simply couldn't afford it.  She works as a registered childminder and if she takes time off she doesn't get paid.  She took just one day off, then continued to work. She was feeling very ill and I honestly don't know how she managed to get through it.

She hasn't had a good year.  She is now separated from her husband, and life is a struggle at times.  I try to get to England twice a year...always in April for the birthdays of my two grandsons, and then either October time, or Christmas.  My last trip was in October.

I've collected Turkish Airlines airmiles for years.  If you accumulate enough, you can get free flights or upgrades.  To date I've never actually achieved either of these.   There are never available flights in the scheme on the dates I want to travel.  So every time I fly I ask for an upgrade, and there are never any available seats.   And then, after a certain amount of time, a number of airmiles expire, so I was beginning to feel that the scheme is pretty useless.

My daughter's next check-up is on 6th January.  Naturally we are hoping that she gets the all-clear, but should she require treatment, I really need to be there.  She needs to take a week off work, and I want to make sure she does and that I am there to help with my grandsons.

At this point in time I have just enough airmiles for a free return flight.  I checked online for available dates, hoping to travel around 4th January and stay for about 10 days.  As usual...nothing.  When I checked the normal prices for flights, they were ridiculously high and way out of my reach.

Then at last I found a flight for 30th December, returning on 11th January.  I couldn't believe my luck.  I didn't intend to go before New Year, but without hesitation I snapped it up.  I have to pay the taxes of course, so the ticket isn't really free but it has saved me an awful lot of money.

My daughter is delighted.  I will be able to go to her hospital appointment with her, and look after her should she need treatment.  If she doesn't we will enjoy the time together.   I am just so happy!

19 comments:

  1. I am so glad Linda, that you will be with your daughter and grandsons for New Year. Well done in finding the flights.
    Please be positive, I am sure everything will be fine.
    I know how hard it is for your daughter and she needs rest too. At least she will get some while you are there.
    I must get over to see you early December.
    Love. F.X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fleur. She does remain positive about this, being thankful that the cells were discovered and that it's being monitored. She made a point at the time of reminding all her friends to make sure they go for their smear tests, because 3 years (in their age group) is a long time and a lot can happen.

      Fleur...I accidentally deleted your last email...oops...but please do come over whenever you want. I can meet you in Milas and we can go for a coffee and/or pide. Mr A is busy working outside (weather permitting) and I will be glad of an excuse to get out of the house for a couple of hours xxx

      Delete
    2. Will do Linda.XXXX

      Delete
  2. This is excellent news, Ayak - being with your daughter when she needs you, plus celebrating New Year with family. Hopefully, as you say, this will just be a routine test and nothing else. And finding a flight after all this time is a real stroke of luck. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luck was definitely on my side this time when I really needed it Annie xx

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you finally made use of your points

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BtoB. It's certainly taken long enough for this scheme to work for me.

      Delete
  4. So glad that it all fell into place...your daughter will have the support she needs and you'll have the delight if being with her and the boys.
    I'm just wondering what masterwork of carpentry Mr. A will have devised for the Poppy/Monty feeding problem by the time you get back though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt something built from wood Helen

      Delete
  5. So glad you managed to find a suitable flight, Ayak. It will be very reassuring for your daughter to have you there. Glad to hear Monty is settling in so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased it worked out Perpetua..and it feels like Monty has always been here

      Delete
  6. This is great news. I'm sure your daughter will be delighted....and the boys ! I hope Mr A. is up to looking after all 6 of the dogs though ! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is delighted Janice. I think Mr A will cope. He managed OK when I went away in October with 5 dogs, so one more shouldn't prove to be a problem. Although he did rather overfeed them last time!

      Delete
  7. Monty looks great! so glad he is settling in well. I'll bring a blanket for him when I go over in April. Have the new walls made a difference to the way the water is running, is it veering away from your house or is it too early to tell?
    I'm so happy for you going to the UK. I have a daughter too, she lives in northern Spain and it really upsets me when I hear she even has a cold! I want to be with her to look after her. I am so happy for you, to be able to sit with your daughter in the hospital, it's a stressful time waiting for results.
    I had a call back myself this summer after a mammogram, the tension when I got the letter made me throw up and I spent days running to the bathroom! not to mention the tension and the silence of all the other women in the waiting room......a week later.
    Thankfully, after another mammogram and closer scan, I got the "all clear". It was like winning the lotto! Your daughter is right about getting the tests done, so many people don't want the discomfort but peace of mind is wonderful. I wish her all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noreen. Lovely to hear from you. It's too soon to tell whether the water problem is solved. Mr A still has so much to do with the walls, it's going to take a while. I am so pleased I can be there with my daughter. Reassuring for her and me. Thanks for your good wishes.

      And thanks for offering to bring a blanket for Monty. Look forward to seeing you in April xxx

      Delete
  8. So so pleased it worked out for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that you got the flights you needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks omentide. Worked out very well for a change x

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x