Wednesday, 20 November 2013

Sammy's operation

Sammy on his way to the vet
The dogs had me up at 4.15 this morning instead of the usual 5am.  At this rate I can see myself becoming totally nocturnal.

The positive side to this was that I could feed Sammy a little food as it was so early, and his operation wasn't due until 3.30pm.

You can read more about his problem in THIS POST

Mr A does the vet visits if there is anaesthetic to be administered.  He deals with it far better than I do.  I was fine when Freddie was neutered on our kitchen table with me assisting Mehmet, but somehow I find it upsetting in the vet clinic.

Mehmet is not convinced that this is a papilloma virus tumour because it doesn't have the usual appearance of one.  But he has seen similar growths in other patients.   He cut away the tumour from the gum and then cauterized it.   He has to have antibiotics for three days, but as he had developed fatty lumps at the injection sites on his body  last time, we have tablets to give him instead.  These lumps have disappeared by the way, which is good.

We have no idea if it will grow back again.  Mehmet says sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.  He is convinced it is nothing more sinister and that a biopsy at this stage isn't necessary.  In any case if we decided to go down this route it would mean taking Sammy to the vet hospital in Aydin, and the expense of the procedure is something we just cannot manage at the moment.  I also can't forget the traumatic events last year when Beki had cancer and was operated on several times.  She ended up at the Aydin hospital for more cutting about and she still died...in agony, leaving us with a hefty bill.  I am  never going to put another dog through this as long as I live.

 I am trying to be optimistic and we are just taking one step at a time.  Whatever happens, we will do whatever we can for Sammy.  He has recovered well from the anaesthetic so if we have to do this every few months, then so be it.  As long as it enables him to eat properly and be comfortable, then that's all that matters.

Monty continues to settle in well and is in his element playing in the garden with the 4 "big guys".  He is very bossy and absolutely fearless.  Blondie is particularly enamoured with him and follows him everywhere.  Night times are brilliant.  Monty and Poppy settle down in their beds, side by side in our bedroom, and I don't hear a peep out of them all night.   If only the other four outside would sleep a little longer, life would be perfect!

We have another trip to the vet tomorrow to introduce Monty to Mehmet.  The treatment that was started in Ovacik and continued here for his skin disorder, is almost finished.  I don't think it has improved, but Mr A thinks it has.  In any case I'd like Mehmet to take a look to see if there is anything further we can do for him.

Mr A is feeding two stray dogs in the village every evening.  I know there were more strays about.  I'm now concerned that they have been "disposed of" but no-one is saying anything.  There will no doubt be more, there always are.  One of the dogs being fed is pregnant, so we will have to keep an eye on her.

Finally, I have put Mr A on a strict diet.  This is day 2 and it's going well.  Only time will tell if he can stick with it.

Edited to add that I have just received an email from Mehmet informing me that what Sammy has is a
 "epulis granulomatosa tumour".  He says that he has completely removed it and at this stage doesn't feel the need to do a biopsy.  This is an article about this condition, which seems to be quite common in dogs  http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2089&aid=3057

14 comments:

  1. So glad that Sammy is on the mend and that the tumour has been completely removed.
    Maybe a word with the Muhtar as to why the stray dogs have suddenly `disappeared`? He always seems to be at the bottom of everything going on in your village.
    I love reading your posts Linda, first thing in the morning before I take breakfast I always open your blog. What I love abut you is you say it as it is, the negative and the positive, I bit like me really.
    I rescued a little black kitten yesterday that Charlotte and I saw wandering in the town. He was in a terrible state and we took him to the vet. He is now looking a bit better in bed in my kitchen. Problem is, I cannot keep him, because my big Van cat, Silly Billy will kill him, he is so aggressive and jealous. If anyone reading your blog can help, I will be so grateful. He is so sweet, poor darling. F.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for saying nice things about my blog Fleur. It is appreciated. Mr A has already spoken to the Muhtar about the dogs and he says he knows nothing. On this occasions I tend to believe him because he has dogs of his own so I don't think he would be responsible for anything bad happening to them.

      I know you are a bit anti Facebook at the moment, but it would be the best place to post about the kitten you rescued. The Kusadasi rescue group might be able to help, and at least you could post a photo on there?

      Delete
  2. Fingers crossed for Sammy, but things sound good so far. I'm not sure I could be as understanding of the early rising nature of the 4 outside dogs....Poppy and Monty however sound perfect ! Keep up the good work Ayak. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. I'm afraid it was around 4am as well this morning. I need to do something about this I think!

      Delete
  3. Hoping all goes well for Sammy....but how to alter the early to rise habits of the outside pups I do not know!

    If we are not up by 5.30 the horde are hammering on the bedroom door...but 4.00 a.m. is going it a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5.30 is fine with me too Helen. I think I may have to put in ear plugs and ignore them because 4am is ridiculous!

      Delete
  4. So far so good for Sammy....happy he is on the mend. I don't know how you do it to get up so early. I had a Husky who if you weren't up when she came to your room at 5 am sharp she would start re-arranging furniture throughout the house..... but you know I wish she was there to bug me so early and after she passed away I actually had to get an alarm clock in my room.
    Your Muhtar sounds like a very seedy person, one you couldn't trust or believe as far as you can spit ( sorry for the gross saying). Obviously he's not a caring animal man.
    So cute about Poppy and Monty.....Monty sure is lucky.

    You and Mr. A are the village 'Meleks". :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My body clock is all over the place Erica. It's now 8pm here and I am falling asleep. One positive thing about being up so early is that I get all my chores done, breakfast, washing-up, ironing and so on...everything finished by 9am! Ridiculous!

      Delete
  5. I'm lucky that Jake is still snoring beside our bed at 8am in the morning. He does go for a midnight walk so that's probably why he's not an early riser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you BtoB. Mine also go out for a run very late, but it makes no difference. I think it's because they are outside that they are disturbed by other sounds. They still won't set foot inside the house...or I'd be tempted to bring them all in.

      Delete
  6. Not having had a dog since childhood I'd completely forgotten how early they can wake you. 4am is beyond a joke and I'm not sure I could cope with 5.30 either. :-)

    I'm so glad Sammy's operation has gone well and I really hope the problem has been dealt with for a good long time, if not for ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good job I'm a morning person Perpetua or I'd never cope. Sammy is doing well, no after effects from the op.

      Delete
  7. Sounds good for Sammy - let's hope that the last of that thing with the long name!
    Darwin has to be poked with a toe at 7am when we get up for school...and if it's a weekend lie-in, he's up for that too....He'd be as irritated as we would be if there were some very early risers or noise-makers!
    I am wishing Mr A good luck with his diet. I wish someone would put me on one - I have absolutely no will power of my own at the moment....Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, I think Darwin and Jake should come and stay, maybe they would be a good influence on my lot!

      Mr A is struggling with the diet but sticking with it so far.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x