Pages

Friday, 8 November 2013

Update

Well as you can probably imagine, this post will mostly be about my dogs, so if you're getting fed up with my obsession with this, please feel free to read no further.

I will just mention though that Mr A continues to work very hard outside, knocking down walls and rebuilding them, and doing everything possible to stop the rain coming in.

And talking of rain, we have had two days of it, making it impossible to do anything further.  But this morning I have woken up to brilliant sunshine, so onwards and upwards.  Although I did wake up in the middle of the night with vomiting and diarrhoea...probably something I ate.  This is surely one of the times when you recognise true love.   Mr A was wonderful and his kindness, not to mention cleaning up the mess, actually made me cry.

So the dogs.   I did mention that the growth in Sammy's mouth had returned.  It doesn't appear to have grown anymore and as he is eating fine, and his usual lively self, Mehmet the vet and I have decided to leave well alone for the time being.  I don't want him to keep having to be cut about unless it's absolutely necessary.

The other dogs are all fine.  They spent most of the time in their cosy room while it was raining, but when they popped out from time to time, they did of course take quite a lot of mud back in with them.  Mr A decided to retrieve the old sofa that had been demolished by Freddie and attempt a repair.  He restuffed it and covered with a thick rug and spent hours sewing it to the sofa.  We then moved it back into the dog room.   Within 10 minutes Freddie had destroyed all the good work.

Mr A measured up and went off to get a piece of formica covered wood which fits perfectly on the seating area of the sofa.  It's now made softer with a folded blanket.   OK, Freddie may well chew the blanket, but it's easier to deal with that than piles of sofa stuffing.

I heard from the charity at Ovacik that my new addition to the family, Monty, had his neutering operation yesterday and is recovering well.  The vet will check him again today and give him his vaccinations.  The lady who runs the charity will also worm him.  He should be ready to travel in a couple of days.  We may have transport for part of the journey, otherwise we will go over to collect in the truck.  We can't wait to meet him and am sure Poppy will be delighted with her new companion.

I don't know how I've ended up with 6 rescue dogs, but I am so happy that I have.  When the first couple turned up at the gate earlier this year, I recall one of my followers Kelloggs Ville saying that I ought to seek donations.  I dismissed the idea immediately because I don't like to beg for money and I feel this is my responsibility.

A very dear friend of mine died last year from cancer.  She was the first friend I made when I came to live in Turkey.  During her time here she rescued many dogs and cats, and when she moved back to England she took two of the dogs with her (in those days having to pay for 6 months quarantine for them both), after re-homing all the others.

She left me £2,000 in her will.  I wanted to do something to recognise the good work she had done, so I donated some to a few charities.  I did use some for my trip to England last Christmas, to be able to buy presents for my family that I normally wouldn't be able to afford, but the rest was set aside to be put to good use.   It has since helped me to pay for the four dogs that I took in this year.  Their operations, vaccinations, parasite treatment, vets bills, food etc.  But it doesn't last forever.

I have tried other means of raising a little extra cash with sponsorship or guest posts on my blog, but this doesn't really seem to be working.   Rest assured we do manage to feed and care for our dogs. They always come first with Mr A and I...that will never change.

Winter is coming.  We need more blankets for our dogs.  We are lucky that our vet charges us the bare minimum for treatment, and supplies the sacks of dog food at a very low price.   I also want to do more for the other stray dogs in the village.  Winter is so difficult for them and I would love to be able to at least provide them with some food.

Since Kellogg Ville first mentioned asking for donations, it has also been suggested by others  as well. 

I really don't want to make a big thing of this, and I don't want it to come across as a begging letter.  We will always continue to give our dogs the best life possible.  But if anyone does feel that they would like to contribute a little something, then I am now no longer too proud to refuse.  It can be done by Paypal to lindaikaya@hotmail.com   Go to the Paypal link at the top of my sidebar.

BUT, and this is a big but...please do not feel obliged!!



16 comments:

  1. Done !!! It has taken me a few minutes to sort out my paypal account ( It got hacked into last year....but pay pal were brilliant and despite thousands being taken out of my account ....not that there were thousands in it !, they were helpful, and I never lost a penny) I have made a donation, so hope it gets through to you ok. You are doing some amazing work. Jxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice...I just got notification of receipt. I don't know what to say. I actually didn't expect a response so quickly and I've gone all tearful. Thankyou so much from all my dogs and some of the other village strays who will also be fed this winter. I'm just about to get a comfy bed for Monty when he arrives any day now (I will tell him it's from you) xxxxxx

      Delete
  2. You need a donate button in your side bar, so it is a permanent reminder. Looks pretty easy to do http://blogknowhow.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/add-paypal-donate-button-to-blogger.html I read lots of blogs that have them for varying reasons. I think dog rescue is a worthwhile thing to ask for money for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou KV. I will have a look at that now. And thankyou for originally suggesting this, even though I was very reluctant at first, I appreciate your encouragement xx

      Delete
  3. Something I learned when Leo was ill was that if I needed help I had to forget pride and ask...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Helen. It's taken a hell of a long time for me to get to this point but I realise now that pride helps no-one xxx

      Delete
  4. KVille's suggestion of a Donate button on your blog is an excellent one, Ayak, and your work with rescue dogs is a very good cause. Sorry to hear you've not vbbeen well, but you obviously have the best of nurses in Mr A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Perpetua, I have tried to instal the Paypal button but it's just not working. I followed a very easy tutorial, but when I click on one of the buttons on my Paypal account (which is set to English) it just goes to a Turkish page which doesn't have any of the buttons that I should press from then on. So I've just added my email address to my sidebar. That will have to do. (You know what a pc numpty I am)

      Mr A makes an excellent nurse, and I was very grateful for it xx

      Delete
  5. Note to KV: I had problems with the link you gave me to add a Paypal button. Eventually I found another tutorial which even I could manage! Thought you, or anyone else, might like the link for future reference xxx

    http://www.stramaxon.com/2012/08/paypal-donation-blogger-blogs.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how difficult it is to feed the dogs, but more so the vet`s bills. As you know I have 5 myself, it used to be 6, but Honey died several months ago. You and Mr. A are wonderful people and you deserve some donations, I wish I could help you also. If I win the lottery or I am left some money, I will without hesitation send something for the dogs. Love F.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Fleur. Yes the vet bills, although Mehmet is quite cheap, certainly do mount up. And I think we are going to have to do something about the tumour in Sammy's mouth. You already know how I feel about too much surgical intervention because we think alike. But it looks a little sore this morning and even though he's not complaining I think another vet visit is due in the next few days.

      Fleur, you do so much for your rescue animals, and you have an awful lot to deal with. Donating should be the last thing on your mind, but thankyou for even thinking about it. xxx

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear you are not well....but had a good husband to look after you that night.
    I know how Vet bills can pile up.....I'm not in budget to help now because as you know we had our house flooded and it really soaked us. But I'm pretty sure I'm coming to Turkey this summer and I'll visit you and see what I can do. Take care...XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Erica. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet last time you were here so I'm looking forward to doing so next year xxx

      Delete
  8. Note for Denise: Thankyou very much for your donation which is greatly appreciated. I tried to email you without success, and have also sent a friend request and a message to the person I think/hope is you on Facebook, but just in case I thought I would post a note on here. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ayak: I've been reading your blog for ages without commenting. I admire what you're doing and am glad you've finally given me and others a chance to help.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x