Pages

Monday, 25 November 2013

Weather

...ok it's not a particularly interesting topic, but you know how we British love to talk about the weather.  We moan when it's cold and we moan when it's hot.  We are never satisfied.   Generally speaking though, I love the climate in this country, but my preference is for Spring and Autumn when the temperatures are up in the high 20s and it's pleasantly comfortable.  I hate the high temperatures in mid Summer.  I've never coped well with extreme heat.

I actually don't mind Winter here too much.  Winter seems to have started quite late this year and it is still quite mild.  I really don't mind the rain either, except when it leaks into the house making it damp, but hopefully the work Mr A has been doing to deal with this will work this year...fingers crossed.  The biggest problem here is drainage, or more to the point, a lack of a proper drainage system.  This means that when it rains (and it REALLY rains here) we get flooding.

I quite like storms, at least I enjoy watching them.  The storms here are terrific but sometimes terrifying, particularly the one we experienced on Friday which resulted in smoke coming from the fuse box, the modem splitter box being burnt out, my new(ish) landline phone battery being destroyed, loss of internet and phone line.  

The internet connection was restored pretty quickly, and the phone line fixed this morning.  It wasn't until this point that I realised that the phone was damaged.   Mr A thinks he can fixed it but I have my doubts, so in the meantime the old crappy phone is plugged in which is stuck together with sellotape, crackles a lot, and it's difficult, almost impossible, to hear the person on the other end of the line.  Ah well, I don't make many calls, so it will do for now.

The village was flooded on Friday but by Saturday afternoon it was possible to get out.  Sunday brought another dry day, enabling Mr A to put some more silicone around the persistant leaks in the window frames.

Today another storm arrived, not so bad, but torrential rain which has caused the bottom of the village to flood again...and more rain is due tonight and tomorrow.  There is much flooding all over the country today.  Here are some pictures:

Bodrum
 

Izmir


The bottom of our village just 10 minutes after the rain started
 
And the following photo has nothing whatsoever to do with the weather.   This is Monty.  He has a cosy bed of his own but has decided he prefers this one.   And not to be outdone, Poppy has joined him......she's not in the picture because as soon as she spotted the camera she jumped off the bed.  Just as well the four big dogs have no interest in coming inside the house, or there would be nowhere for us to sleep!
 


20 comments:

  1. It loooks as if you could go surfing in Bodrum!

    It hasn't taken Monty long to find his paws, has it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen I recall my friend Karen from Turkish Animal Group telling me that these little terrier types always want to be boss...and that certainly applies to Monty. Fearless little chap x

      Delete
  2. We were fortunate yesterday on our 'walk' (I found it somewhat vertical for a 'walk') because it didn't rain (just a spot of drizzle at lunch time). It was pouring all this morning here though. Fortunately not flooded like Izmir though there were pictures from down by the railway on Friday which showed quite a lot of water...
    Our pile of things that need washing gets bigger and bigger....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the picture on Facebook omentide. Far worse for those living downhill. Ah yes the washing...apart from our clothes I have blankets and towels used for the dogs piling up...getting them dry is the big problem though.

      Delete
  3. Monty is adorable. He is the perfect size for inside.
    The flooding is horrible. The water company needs a reservoir to harness that power... or maybe they have one. Was the pipe line under construction in August? Each season brings it's pluses and minuses. As long as I was at the top of the hill, I much prefer winter. So happy for you that Mr. A can and is willing to fix things. Relax and enjoy your time inside. Pat McDonald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, he is adorable, and perfect for inside. He and Poppy don't take up much room on the bed and at least keep my feet warm.

      Being at the top of the hill certainly does have it's advantages. Gale force winds up here can be a bit scary though. As long as the damp problems are sorted eventually, I'm perfectly happy to be up here xx

      Delete
  4. The weather really is atrocious. I was in Izmir yesterday and went into a tunnel (Alt Gecit) only to find a huge flood, all the cars had to crawl through and the water was very deep. On the other side, a woman was trapped in her car as she stalled and the car would not start again. The Police and Ambulance service were very busy but could hardly get through the traffic. It was very scary driving in those conditions and later in the evening, I saw the news and parts of Izmir were even worse than I had encountered.
    I do agree with you about Autumn and Spring, the temperatures are bearable. I must say though, that I hate the cold and am always glad when New Year is over and can look forward to March and April. I am so glad that winter hasn`t started and hope that this year will not be so cold as last year which was really miserable, often the dogs water was frozen over and I find the cold here to be far worse than the UK.
    I am glad Mr. A has sorted out the house, it will be far more comfortable now.
    Mr.Monty looks the picture of happiness, I bet he realises what a lucky dog he is!! F.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monty has completely taken over Fleur. Bossy little boy runs rings round all the dogs.

      You were very lucky you didn't hit the worst parts of Izmir. I've seen more photos today and it's dreadful. and thank goodness you didn't break down.

      So far so good with dealing with the leaks. The stuff on the roof and extra silicone in other places seems to be doing the trick xx

      Delete
  5. WOW!!! Linda, what rain! You weren't kidding! Here in Fenerbahçe, it's nothing like that - a bit grey and dark, yesterday a bit of drizzle but so far, it's OK. I saw that pic of Izmir in the paper and was taken aback by that, but yr pic of Bodrum is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky to have missed it Claudia, and I hope for your sake that it stays that way. I copied the Bodrum pic from Facebook but I've seen much worse ones on there today x

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen rain like this for years

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, that flooding is dreadful, Ayak. I hope the rain stops soon. At least you're back in touch with the outside world again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were reconnected pretty quickly this time Perpetua. We've had two dry days, apart from a brief shower today, so it's all drying out...thank goodness x

      Delete
  8. It really does rain when it rains! It's a bit like that here though as yet (touches wooden table) we haven't had it bad and we don't really have a 'rainy' season. It's very cold at night and in the mornings though - Darwin is back inside next to the chimney breast - FR couldn't cope with him on his bed....of course, if he's away, Darwin would choose the same spot Monty has!
    Axxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well when the other half is away it's a different story Annie! Poppy is happy in her bed on the floor, or just on the cool floor, in the summer but it's warmer on the bed in winter. I imagine Monty will be the same. Mr A doesn't mind and often he or I will go off to the spare room if it gets a bit crowded!

      Delete
  9. Glad your internet is back. Pity about the phone.
    The flooding looked terrible. Hope the village never gets as bad as the pictures on top.
    Doggies on the bed! Very relaxed and comfortable.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been as bad as that at the bottom of the village Maggie, so I'm thankful we live at the top of the hill. Funny how these dogs seem to take over! x

      Delete
  10. Glad your internet is back on....too bad about your phone though. When it rains here I shudder....after having our house flooded and finally getting it finished with the renovations I sure don't want to go through it again..... our place in Izmir didn't get flooded b/c it is higher up in the city and we are on the 3rd floor...so that was good and my husband was very worried. The streets weren't flooded either in that neighbourhood.
    Monty looks so cute...and very comfy..... he sure had lucky stars when he was born to be adopted by you..
    All we have is just a sprinkling of some snow.....barely 1/2 an inch.....and is already disappearing when the sun shines.......
    take care....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your flooding was dreadful Erica. I don't know how you managed to get everything sorted and back to normal...quite a task.

      We've had another dry day today and I'm hoping it will last a little longer xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x