Pages

Friday, 20 December 2013

Confession time

My blog is as good as any place to confess.  Both Mr A and I are keeping a secret.

Late yesterday afternoon we opened the gates to let out our 4 big dogs as usual for their run up the hill before dinner.   Also as usual, Dursune's chickens were running around everywhere.  Thankfully the dogs take very little notice of them these days.

However we did notice one chicken that appeared to have a broken leg and we're sure it was in pain.  Freddie also noticed and ran after it.  Mr A got there before him, shouted at him and he stopped dead in his tracks, then off he ran up the hill with the other dogs.

The chicken was in a sorry state so Mr A made the decision to put it out of it's misery.  Dursune was nowhere around so we couldn't tell her.

Mr A then brought the carcass around the back of the house, plucked it, washed it and asked me to cook it.   Aargh...I know I eat meat, but I don't find it easy to deal with an animal that I've seen running about...well in this case, not exactly running about, more hobbling in pain.

Well, I boiled it slowly...and there is very little meat on it, and I wouldn't be able to bring myself to eat it anyway.  Mr A will not be so squeamish, but if he is, the dogs will have a treat.

Now for the confession bit....we haven't told Dursune.  Why?  Because I am 100% certain that if we do she will accuse one of our dogs  of killing it, and whatever we say will make no difference.  Then we will have to put up with her constant moaning about it to us and the neighbours for weeks.  In any case she is absolutely over-run with chickens and hasn't noticed it missing. 

So that's it...I've confessed and feel a little relieved at having shared it.

Other news...Tommy has settled in very well here.  He's a lively little chap and very affectionate.  He and Monty squabble a fair bit, but they are becoming fond of each other.  Last night they were curled up on my bed.  They lay very close to each other and Monty had his head resting on Tommy...lovely to see.

Sammy, Megan, Freddie and Blondie seem quite relieved that they no longer have to put up with Monty nipping their legs, as he is happily occupied playing with Tommy.   So all is well in our camp.

14 comments:

  1. They say confession is good for the soul, Ayak. :-) . Mr A did it for the very best of reasons, so no need to feel guilty. This really is a case of least said, soonest mended

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Perpetua...anyway you've made me feel better about it :-)

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't feel guilty....you did what needed to be done. I sure wouldn't want that poor chicken limping around in pain either.....and as for Dursune 'the less she knows or sees is always better". I too couldn't eat that chicken especially after I saw it running around.......
    Glad Tommy and Monty are enjoying your bed :-) Those two doggys just don't know how extremely lucky they are to be with you.
    ...take care. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm saying nothing Erica. I love these two little dogs. They have fitted in so well with us all xx

      Delete
  3. Well I won't tell if you won't. Poor Chicken. Happy Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Carol...mum's the word/ and a Happy Christmas to you too xx

      Delete
  4. Oh dear..... I wouldn't be able to eat it either. Hope the dogs enjoyed it.
    Hoping no one tells your neighbour after reading this! Blogs are not the best of places for a confession as you might well know!!!

    I've just read your post about feeding ferrel cats & dogs. I agree that you must feed all the year round or not at all. The same with any animal and the same with wild birds. Don't start what you can't continue with. They are hungry every day just like us!

    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure there's no-one reading this blog who is likely to tell my neighbour so I don't need to worry on that score.

      Talking of wild birds...the bird table that Mr A made is getting very good use. I find they are particularly keen on biscuit crumbs.

      Delete
  5. Mr. A did the right thing.....and the dogs will enjoy the result.
    Blow Dursane.....she doesn't know how lucky she is to have good neighbours so I'd just keep quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. I'm glad I posted about it. I don't feel bad about it anymore x

      Delete
  6. I don't think the chicken would have lasted much longer. You stopped it suffering by being being torn apart by foxes or dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right BtoB...it would have suffered far more if we had left it.

      Delete
  7. I have the same problems here. F.XX

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x