Pages

Sunday, 22 December 2013

One of those days

The weather over the last couple of days has been lovely.  Yesterday it reached 17 degrees outside, although the house is freezing, but it enabled Mr A to continue with rebuilding the wall at the back of the house, and the dogs to enjoy the sunshine.

A trip into Milas yesterday afternoon to get some more dogfood, food shopping and two more bags of cement, started off well.  We took Monty and Tommy with us.  They seem to enjoy the back seat of the car, looking out of the windows and barking at cats, and a bit of play fighting.

The boot was full and we set off to the village.  Just as we were about to turn off the main road to the village, the car stalled and wouldn't start again.  Fortunately we were pretty close to the saniye (industrial estate) so with the help of a couple of men the car was pushed to a workshop.  They managed to get it going again.   There is a problem with the engine it seems and this will have to be investigated on Monday.   As always we have problems with cars.  It's inevitable because it's old, and the village roads are not helping.

So we are half way up the hill to the house and the car breaks down again and just won't start, so we had to leave it there.   Mr A told me to just take the dogs up to the house and he would make several journeys back to the car to bring up the sacks of dogfood, cement and shopping.  I should have taken notice, but I held on to the dog leads with my "bad" arm and carried a couple of shopping bags with my good arm.

On reaching the gate the 4 big dogs were barking and pleased to see us.  I struggled to get in with the dogs and shopping whilst trying to prevent the big dogs from getting out as Dursune's chickens were again running all over the place but my hands were full and  I failed.  Freddie squeezed past me and the other three pushed me out of the way to follow him.

Freddie immediately chased the chickens and the others followed suit.  Dursune appeared from her house and shouted and screamed.  I shouted at the dogs.  Mr A appeared with shopping, dropped it to deal with the dogs, and a large pot of yogurt burst and the contents went everywhere, along with half a dozen smashed eggs.

Result...two dead chickens.  Of course I am not happy about my dogs killing her chickens, but I am sick to death of her lack of responsibility.   She continued to shout and I shouted back....mostly in English with Mr A translating.  I have told her that she cannot just let her chickens wander all over the place.  If my dogs don't kill them, they will be killed by other street dogs or foxes. 

The shouting and translating continued, and then she suddenly shut up.   Mr A tells me that she has got the message and that she is scared of me now because I was so angry.  Of course I don't want to scare anyone but if that's what it takes then so be it.

I unloaded the shopping, fed the dogs, fed Mr A, and peace was restored.  Then to the highlight of my afternoon.

Another thing we did in Milas was to collect a parcel from the bus coming from Fethiye.  It was from Joanna, who we met when she brought Monty to Gokova for us to collect.  She had sent me goodies, including amongst other things Cadbury's chocolate and a bottle of wine, a blanket for the dogs and some fleecy pyjama bottoms for me to keep us warm.

What a lovely thing to do, and such kindness.  I won't be getting Christmas presents this year, so you can imagine my excitement.  Suddenly the stresses of the afternoon just slipped away.

16 comments:

  1. I know how you feel about the chickens, some of them from next door to me wander onto my land only to meet their end, as my dogs kill chickens too. I am expecting outrage once the neighbour discovers what has happened. I don`t know why dogs wish to kill them because they don`t eat them.
    Yes, Dursune should take more responsibility, but she won`t you can be sure of that. It was good you showed your teeth otherwise she will think she can do as she likes.
    I hope you get the car sorted soon, if the engine is faulty, I am sorry to say it is going to cost you.
    How nice of the lady from Fethiye to send all the goodies, just goes to show there are still some kind people around.
    Love. F.XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Fleur, there was I saying in my last post that my dogs don't take any notice of the chickens these days, and they proved me wrong. But if Dursune won't take responsibility for her chickens, what else can I do?

      Goodness knows what the car will cost. Mr A has found about about some labouring work that he can do, waiting to hear back about it. He'll be paid peanuts of course but it will help to get the car fixed.

      Yes you're so right...there are some very lovely people about x

      Delete
  2. Oh phew, Ayak - your description of the mornings stresses and exertions had me right there with you and in need of a comforting end...and it was a lovely finale. Karma. Hang on to that feeling and enjoy your non-Christmas Christmas. We will be thinking of you! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much less stressful today Annie. And trying to stay that way if I can ...thankyou xx

      Delete
    2. Your description helped me to visualise the scene so well. What a terrible ordeal. Hens have so many predators that they need to be shut in pens. When dogs get in a pack...... well they just act on instinct.
      Hoping your neighbour acts more responsibly from no on.
      Maggie x

      Nuts in May

      Delete
    3. Well I hope she will Maggie but I won't hold my breath!

      Delete
  3. After such a stressful day that parcel came just at the right time.....of course you don't want your dogs killing Dursane's chickens, but things like that happen when she appropriates area outside her land for their wanderings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she is a pain in the proverbial Helen. If it wasn't the chickens she would find something else to moan about. She even moaned about the wall Mr A is building, even though it's on our land...she somehow thinks she should be involved in everything going on here...blasted woman!

      Delete
  4. Enjoy the wine - sounds like you'll need it. I'm glad you shouted back at Dursune, it' s the only way to gain any respect in certain environments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I've taken your advice on this BtoB in standing my ground and giving back as good as I get because village people here don't know any other way. She started up again today and I just shouted at her to be quiet...I can't believe how bold I'm becoming :-)

      Delete
  5. Glad you gave Dursune a piece of your mind....she should not let her chickens run about, especially with stray dogs around. Good you got a bottle of wine...with that adventure of a shopping trip you needed it. But happy all ended well and peace was restored.
    So jealous of your weather....you are at 17 degrees, well we are at -17 degrees with a state of emergency for an Ice Storm we had. Looks amazingly beautiful outside and awesome with everything glistening but actually deadly. Chunks of ice and trees are down everywhere.....we had no heat or electricity for a day.....so COLD and dark!

    Take care and stay stress free in the Life of Ayak. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Erica. And what an end to a pretty awful year for you ...no electricity or heating in those temperatures...dreadful. Hope next year is going to be better one xxx

      Delete
  6. It is "sanayi" which means industry, not "saniye" which means "second" (as in minute).

    And, at villages, chicken do wander, no one does prison them to hens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for correcting my spelling and putting me right about village hens. Duly noted. Perhaps in future if you wish to offer criticism or correction to my posts you may care to post using your name rather than Anonymous? Thankyou

      Delete
  7. However domesticated, dogs still retain some of the instincts of their wild ancestors and hunting to kill is one of these. At various times I've lost two cats and at least two chickens to dogs as well as other chickens to foxes. Dursune has to realise that her chickens need protection from predators, so hopefully your outburst will stick with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope she would realise Perpetua, because it isn't pleasant to watch. It doesn't seem to have had much effect on her so far, sadly.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x