Sunday, 12 January 2014

The things I CAN change

I think most people have come across the Serenity Prayer, the first verse of which has been adopted by Alcoholics Anonymous, and from which so many find comfort:

                    God grant me the serenity
                    to accept the things I cannot change;
                    courage to change the things I can;
                    and wisdom to know the difference


Even though I am not religious, these words have been in the back of my mind for years, and often pop to the forefront and ring a bell.  I found myself repeating them under my breath over the past two weeks.   Things happen that we find distressing.   We want to do something to solve the problems facing others, but sometimes we just can't and we have to accept that the only people able to do this are those who are actually experiencing them.   I know this all sounds a bit vague, but it's all about family and not something I can talk about here.

I arrived home from my trip to England last night and Mr A was waiting at the airport for me.  He is feeling much better now and pretty much recovered from his recent bout of pneumonia.  When we got to our house, I was very warmly greeted by my six lovely dogs....in fact almost knocked off my feet in their enthusiasm.  I was clearly missed by them all.
Tommy and Monty taking over the bed in my absence

I bought rope-type chewy toys for them all.  Maybe they will now leave the blankets alone!  Also chewsticks, a little fleece jumper for Tommy, more Glucosamine tablets to help with Megan and Sammy's arthritis, and a large supply of worm tablets.

I'm hoping I have enough worm tablets to dish out to the village strays as well as my own dogs, but now I'm not so sure.  Mr A has continued to feed the strays while I've been away, apart from a few days when he was feeling ill, when our neighbour Mehmet took food down to the village for them.  I'm afraid the numbers are increasing.  Even though they don't all turn up at the same time, one day last week Mr A  counted a total of 27 different dogs who are in need of food.  Some of them have since disappeared, but there are still a fair number left.

We are doing what we can, but we can't afford to help them all.  I am so grateful for the donations I have received so far, which have enabled us to feed other dogs apart from our own.   

I am feeling a little less depressed than I did a few days ago, because I have a purpose here.   This is something I am able to change,  but I need help if I am to  continue to care for these animals.  If you feel you are able to help, please go to the Paypal button at the top of my sidebar.  As always, please do not feel obliged or under any pressure to give, but rest assured every little helps.     Thankyou xxx





                   



16 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling much better. I think we all need a purpose in life and sometimes...... it is outside our family situations.
    The little prayer/motto that you have has always been a great help to me and I think the secret is to realise just what we cannot change and what we can and sometimes that does require courage.
    Glad Mr A is better.
    Love & hugs Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie. You are right, but it's not always easy to accept that we can't make everything better for everyone xx

      Delete
  2. glad you are home safe x

    My OH is looking at holidays in Dalaman. Isn't that near you? Do you have any posts you could point me to for me to look at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KV. It isn't that close to me, but the country is so large that it would be considered a short distance....http://distancecalculator.himmera.com/driving_distance_from-milas_to_dalaman_between_road_direction-35255.html

      I haven't done any posts on Dalaman. Have a look on Wikipedia or Tripadvisor for more info. I think you would enjoy the area xx

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the family troubles, it's very difficult to see loved ones struggling with problems and being unable to resolve them. You sound to have returned well prepared to make as much difference to the problems you can help with. Good on you and all the very best in your daily challenges. You are making a difference, Ayak. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. I have to have something positive to focus on...it's a challenge and an uphill struggle, but it stops me thinking too much about my depression and the causes. Onwards and upwards xx

      Delete
  4. Welcome back - hope the black dog slinks into the background while you are busy looking after Mr A and the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou BtoB. It's good to be back home xx

      Delete
  5. It is so infuriating when you want to help...but simply cannot organise other peoples' lives for them.
    I'll bet that Tommy looks sweet in his jersey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very frustrating Helen. Hmm...Tommy's jersey is kind of the wrong shape, although I think it's Tommy's shape that is a bit odd...I'm going to have to adjust it a bit!

      Delete
  6. Nice to have you back! Things will improve, they always do and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Your dogs and husband are your rocks.
    Take care and we will meet soon.XXXF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be back Fleur. Look forward to seeing you soon....we have so much to catch up with xxx

      Delete
  7. Glad you are back safe and sound....looks like everyone missed you and you are loved.. so cute the photo of Tommy and Monty.
    I also love that prayer....sometimes I have to remind myself and read it. I haven't been around for a while as i got a bit ill with something, hopefully I can get off those horrible antibiotics and get back to normal...but I do read your posts.
    Take care and I bet you miss those 2 cutie pies your Grandsons'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica. So sorry to hear you haven't been well. I hope you're feeling better very soon xxx

      Delete
  8. It's almost harder to see those we love in trouble and not be able to help them than it is to be in trouble ourselves. I do hope things improve for them. I'm sure you've been greatly missed by Mr A and the dogs. I know our cats were always glad to see me back after an absence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Perpetua. The problems experienced by those close to us worry us far more than our own problems because we can't always do anything about it. The welcome home by our dogs and cats is a lovely thing isn't it? I can't imagine a home without pets xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x