Thursday, 30 January 2014

What do I write about....

...when nothing much is happening?   Sometimes I think I could go for weeks without doing a post, but the longer I leave it, the more difficult it is to write. Do you ever feel like this?

I guess it's this time of year.  The rain doesn't help.   It finally stopped today and the sun came out.  Mr A hasn't worked since last week and was hoping to be back today, but the man he is working for phoned to say that they can't continue at the moment because the ground where the wall is being built is so waterlogged, it will be a few days more before anything else can be done.

Yesterday afternoon, and all day today, Mr A has continued building the drystone wall at the back of our house, which surrounds the dog area.  Although it's muddy, it's on a slope so not impossible to do.    It seems to be taking forever to complete, and the dogs have been unable to use it for a couple of months now.  He has had to do it in stages, fitting it in with weather and other work, and when we can afford to buy more cement and sand.

He is running out of stone now and yesterday asked a man he knew in the village with a tractor if he could bring from somewhere else.  The man wanted 120 lira to do this, so he decided against it, and is now climbing up the steep hill behind the house, breaking up huge rocks, and transporting them down in his wheelbarrow.  It's hard work, but I keep telling him the exercise is good for him!

We are continuing to feed the dogs on the industrial estate.   There are fewer dogs in the village at the moment, but these are being fed in the evening.  (You can see my daily updates on the page at the top of the blog).

The weather today enabled me to catch up on a pile of washing, including all the dogs' blankets and towels.  I was also in the mood for cooking, so made a huge pot of mercimek (lentil) soup, chicken and broccoli in cheese sauce, and a casserole with chicken, tomatoes and chickpeas.  

I challenge myself every week to see how many meals I can make from one chicken.   I boil the whole chicken and use half of the stock for the soup and half goes into pasta for the dogs.   We had a roast dinner  yesterday, cold chicken with bubble-n-squeak today, and the two meals I mentioned above with the remainder of the chicken.   Oh...and the chicken bones are given to the street cats.  Nothing is wasted and a chicken, together with vegetables, chickpeas or beans, can last us almost a week.  It's a good job we like chicken!  

Today is the first day I have felt a little less lethargic, and I am determined to shake myself up  and get out and about a bit more than I have lately....maybe then I'll have something more interesting to write about!





12 comments:

  1. I remember your chicken challenge....great food from just one main ingredient.
    I've just picked even more beans so it's back to the onion, bean and tomato soup with a touch of cumin.
    Luckily we can eat that until the cows come home...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good Helen. We love soup and could live on it, and whatever you have in fridge and store cupboard will always make soup won't it?

      Delete
  2. I don`t think I would ever get writer`s block, because there is always something happening either to me or the people around me, plus the animals of course!!
    I wish I could get a chicken to last that long!!
    Maybe next week, weather permitting I would like to come to Milas and meet up if possible? F.XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see you Fleur, just let me know when. It's long overdue! xx

      Delete
  3. It is amazing sometimes how you can make something out of practically nothing, which I'm hoping to do for this evenings meal. I am a great believer in using lentils and chicken.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Maggie. I find that if I don't have much in the cupboard I have to use my imagination a bit more, and it's actually very satisfying to come up with a meal made from next to nothing.

      Delete
  4. Is there anything better in the world than chicken soup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it BtoB, and it really does make you feel better when you are ill doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. We do 2 meals on a chicken but I don't think I'm frugal enough with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I challenge you to make more than 2 meals KV...let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  6. Like you, I pride myself on getting several meals for the two of us from one medium (1.5kg) chicken, Ayak - chicken with veg, chicken curry, chicken and mushroom fricassee, chicken and rice soup with the stock, often with a portion or two frozen for future use. We're not big meat-eaters nowadays, so don't feel deprived. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't eat a lot of meat either Perpetua so, like you, we can make a chicken go a lot further with vegetables and other ingredients. I love it that nothing is wasted.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x