Pages

Thursday, 2 January 2014

What a year

2013 wasn't one of the best years for me and my family.  We've had tragic, sad and anxious times, but a few bright moments.

Back in March when I was getting ready to travel to England for Billy and Jimi's birthdays in April I had a call in the early hours of the morning.  It was my youngest brother M, telling me that my brother D's daughter's husband had collapsed suddenly and died.  He appeared to be a fit and healthy young man, so this came as a huge shock.  He and my niece had been together for some time.  They had a little boy called Matthew, the same age as Billy, and only the previous year they had travelled to Mexico, along with my brother, sister-in-law and other members of the family, to get married.

I was in England for the funeral.  Hundreds of people turned out to pay their respects to this very popular young man.  My niece was just 12 weeks pregnant with their much wanted second child, when her husband died.  This was just so sad.    My niece gave birth in November to another little boy, Daniel.  I saw him for the first time on New Years Eve, along with dear little Matthew, and my niece who has my utmost admiration for the way in which she has coped during this past year.

In July,my daughter had treatment at the hospital, after high-grade cancer cells were discovered during her routine smear test.  As a result of this, she will continue to have 6 monthly check-ups.  The next one is due on Monday while I am here.  If she needs more treatment I will be able to help out while she recovers.  Fingers crossed though that all will be well.  One thing that came out of this was her spreading the word about the importance of regular smear tests, particular for those in her age group, which are only given every three years.  Had she missed hers, the consquences could have been very different.

Back in February two stray dogs turned up at my gate.  I wrote about it HERE.  Things have moved on since then, as most of you know.  Those two moved in, were soon joined by two more.  We sadly lost Poppy quite recently, and we have also adopted two more dogs.  So we now have six grateful dogs and we adore them all, and thanks to donations from some very kind people we have been able to feed more dogs out on the streets too.  This we will continue to do for as long as we possibly can, finances permitting.

 I will be returning to Turkey with a batch of worm tablets for the street dogs.  I have already bought flea treatment.  When we can get near enough to them, we will administer these to make them more comfortable.  Eventually it is hoped we can also get them neutered.

That's pretty much my 2013.  There have been highs and lows, sadness and joy, and the usual frustrations and anxieties of life that we all experience.  Another year gone, and the anticipation that this new year will be a better one.

Here I am at the start of the new year, in a wet and windy England, but the company of my two adorable grandsons is bringing some much needed "sunshine" into my life.

Happy New Year everyone.  I hope 2014 brings you joy, peace and good health for you and your families.

21 comments:

  1. What a terrible time your niece has had and of course your daughter. I hope both of them will have a better year and can move on.
    2013 seems to have been a bad year for many of us, so I hope this coming year will bring health and happiness for us all. F.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Fleur, and I'm pretty sure you were glad to see the back of 2013. Stay well xxx

      Delete
  2. Some years seem to have more ups and downs than others - some with more ups and others the opposite. I thought we were having a real up year...only to crash down unexpectedly when we found out Darwin was gone. But we have ended on a positive note and will continue so into 2014. I wish you and all the family all the very best as you all look to the the new year in your own ways. Much love, Axxx (and I am sending Mr A and the dogs a virtual hug too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I wish the same for you and your family too Annie..along with a virtual hug xx

      Delete
  3. Let's hope that this year will bring nothing but good news on the health front and good news on the home front.
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Helen, and the same for you. Happy New Year xx

      Delete
  4. I wish you and your family, especially your daughter, a happy & healthy 2014. Happy New Year Ayak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Tricia. And a Happy New Year to you xx

      Delete
  5. Wishing you and your Family and the furry Family the best of the New Year 2014....with lots of good health, happiness and lots of peace. So sorry about your niece and her dear husband....especially your daughter.

    Happy New Year!!! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Erica, and all the best to you, your husband and daughter too xxx

      Delete
  6. I do hope all is well for your daughter A, and that your niece manages to continue to be strong. What a difficult year your family has had. I hope you are enjoying your time with the boys, and that Mr A is coping with the dogs. Lots of love to you both Jxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. I think 2013 has been a year we would all like to put behind us for one reason or another. I'm having a lovely, if exhausting, time. Mr A is coping with the dogs but he has been poorly for the last couple of days, so I'm hoping he is getting better x

      Delete
  7. Wishing you,Mr A and the dogs a happy and healthy 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou BtoB, and the same to you and your family xx

      Delete
  8. Belated New Year Wishes,

    A very Happy New Year to you, Ayak, and may 2014 be very kind to us all ~ Eddie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Eddie. Not one of your best years either, so all the best for you for 2014 xx

      Delete
  9. . . can totally empathise with you on last year having had our own share of tragedy. Keep on bearing up and smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Alan...you too, and I hope this new year will be a better one for all of us.

      Delete
  10. Happy new year to you too Linda, I too am glad to see the back of 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Carol. I hope it will be a better one for you xx

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry 2013 was such a hard year for your family, Ayak. May 2014 bring health and much more happiness to you all.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x