Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Blogging and Me

I did my first blog post in March 2009, almost 5 years ago.  I'm not one for looking at statistics but did happen to notice that I'm heading for 1000 posts.  There have been a lot of page views, which isn't really of any importance.  What has become important to me is the number of friends I have made through blogging, and the blogs of others that I have found and continue to enjoy.

Bloggers come and go.  Some announce that they've had enough and let you know with their final post.  Some take a break from blogging and return refreshed.  Others just stop and disappear.

From time to time we stop following some of the blogs on our reading lists because they no longer hold our interest, but at the same time we find new ones to follow.   Our followers come and go for the same reasons.   It's all part of the blogging way of life.

In the early days of blogging I had no expectations.  I was encouraged by friends to start a blog because they thought my life would be interesting to others.  Reluctantly I began, but for me it was to replace a diary that I first started when I moved to Turkey nearly 16 years ago.  These daily thoughts were kept in a fair number of exercise books, which I sadly lost during one of our many house moves over the years.   I couldn't replace them or recall everything I wrote about, but blogging seemed a good way of continuing to record my life and sharing my thoughts.

It has been very therapeutic for me.  During many bouts of depression, I find it easier to express my feelings with the written word than to talk to someone face to face.  During these times I have had so much support from my blogging friends, that it has helped me more than being dosed up with anti-depressants.

I've shared my joy over the births of my darling grandsons, and my anger and hurt at how I have been treated by my father-in-law.  My frustration at how my husband works so hard but is not appreciated, and often not paid, for his efforts.

I've received awards from other bloggers, and recognition from various organisations, being named one of the top bloggers in Turkey.  None of these things are  important but they are flattering.  I appreciate them and they do give a huge boost to my confidence, which I'm afraid is, more often than not, lacking.

And then there are the dogs.   I sometimes talked about my beloved dogs Beki and Poppy.  I touched briefly at times about the early days of my life here when I rescued dogs and cats from the streets and found them homes.  Losing Beki to cancer in 2012 and then Poppy last year, seemed to spur me on.  I rescued 4 more dogs from the village streets, had them neutered, vaccinated, etc, and then they were joined by 2 more from other rescue groups, resulting in my family of 6.

Somehow though it wasn't quite enough so my husband and I started feeding more street dogs, and it has escalated beyond what we envisaged.

Because of this, my blog has been somewhat taken over by the dogs.  OK I've tried to intersperse dog posts with different topics.  I felt that my blog was becoming all about dogs.  So I started another page to try to keep it separate, so that those of you who don't want to keep reading about dogs, can avoid it.

However, things happen and I want to write about them.   I started to notice that dog posts were getting very few, sometimes no comments.  I think this is for two reasons.  1) some people just don't have the same feelings as I do about stray dogs, and that's fair enough, and 2) asking for donations can become tedious.  There is no obligation to give, and we all have reasons for not doing so, and we can get a bit fed up with being asked, and this is also fair enough.  I understand perfectly why some of you can't find anything to say.  As I mentioned above, sometimes a blog no longer holds any interest for us, so we drift away and find others that do.

It has left me feeling that with my blog I am trying to avoid boring people, and perhaps trying too hard to produce something that they will find interesting.  But it did make me stop and take stock, and return to my original reason for starting to blog.   The blog is for me, to write about my life. I never anticipated followers or comments...they have just been a pleasant bonus.   The dogs are my life and I shouldn't feel guilty that I talk about them so much. 

So I will continue to blog about my dogs and not feel guilty.  Of course I will blog about other things but I don't want to feel that I have to keep finding other topics, because then it becomes a chore rather than an enjoyable pastime.

There is no need to feel you have to comment on this post.  Writing it has put things into perspective for me.  Like I said before, it helps me when I write things down, and it's also a heads-up for you that there will no doubt be many more dog posts to come, so if you need to stop reading and drift away, I understand and will not be offended in the least!


Edit:  Today's update on two dogs awaiting neutering at the shelter, and more about the two black pups on the Street Dogs Feeding page. (See top of this page)



18 comments:

  1. Wow - five years! Congratulations, Ayak. Like Helen's French Leave, yours was one of the blogs which inspired me to start my own and you were one of my very first followers, for which I've always been grateful. :-)

    It's your life and your blog, so you must post about what most matters to you, otherwise you wouldn't be true to your reason for blogging in the first place. Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perpetua. I hoped you would understand what I was trying to say. I don't ever want people to feel obligated to follow my blog if it no longer holds any interest for them, but at the same time it's difficult for me to find other topics to write about, and I don't want to give up blogging altogether because of this xx

      Delete
    2. Your dogs are your life, you write about your life, ergo you write about your dogs! Where is the problem?

      Delete
    3. Now you put it like that Pauline, I don't feel so bad xxx

      Delete
  2. It's because you write from the heart, Ayak, that we love to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou BtoB. I appreciate that xxx

      Delete
  3. Well I always enjoy your blogs whatever you write about, and would miss you enormously if you stopped - your blog is always the first I go to! I'm more of a cat person than dog, but hate to see any animal suffer, and if it matters to you then I want to hear all about it too. But please do include the odd update on Mr A's latest adventures - it always makes me smile and helps me cope with my own husband's "foibles"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Rosemary...and I'll certainly do my best to keep you updated on Mr A's escapades!

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't worry about boring people! When you write from the heart than it all comes together. Congratulations on 1000 post. I hit mine about 2 weeks ago! Couldn't believe I had written so much! Darling new pictures of the boys! Cheers to many more blog post to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelleyn. I haven't quite reached 1000 but nearly there. Congrats on yours. How do we find so much to write about? xxx

      Delete
  5. Dear, dear, Ayak! Please don't think you should do anything different! Your current involvement is very much with your dogs on and off the street and you're doing a sterling job. I love how you write and particularly love your anecdotes and the telling of your daily life. It is, in fact, what has made me think of you as a friend rather than 'just another blogger' over the past couple of years - and through you, I've met other friends in the blogging world too. I think I've already said that I'm very fond of Mr. A too.
    And like friends, what's important to you is important to me too.
    You tell us whatever you want!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Annie for those very kind words. I really do appreciate it xxx

      Delete
  6. Your blog intrigued since first coming across it...and it doesn't intrigue any the less now, because you write about what's going on in your life and how you feel about it in a very down to earth, accessible way.

    You and your husband are doing a marvelous - if at times depressing - job helping the dogs and there's nothing boring about it at all.

    You've been - and are - so helpful with my blogging problems - I can understand your explanations! - and I owe you the introduction to the world of blogging which has become so precious to me as it has enabled me to 'meet' people I think of as friends and to learn so much about other ways of life.

    You bear a heavy responsibility on your shoulders...launching both me and Perpetua on the wide seas of the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Helen. You are very kind and have become such a good friend. Someone who is there for a "chat" if I need one. Blogging has been an opportunity for all of us to get to know so many other people and that's what I love most about it xxx

      Delete
  7. I think, unless you are blogging for professional or promotional purposes, you need to write what you want to write. There is no obligation to write to please others and, whatever you write, because you write engagingly, you will please people.

    I find sometimes, when you are writing about your work with the dogs, I don't have any constructive comments. So I don't comment. But I do read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks omentide. You're right about reading and not commenting. I do the same with the blogs I read. Sometimes a comment isn't necessary but the reading is enjoyable xx

      Delete
  8. You write about your life and what is important to you. Please don`t change, your blogs always make interesting reading.F.XXXX

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x