Pages

Thursday, 20 February 2014

Such a sad day

Do you remember the two little black pups I talk about.  They're sisters.  We have been feeding them along with the many others on the industrial estate for the last couple of months.

Mr A discovered one of them sick two days ago, so he took both of them over to the Belediye shelter to see the vet.  The vet checked them both, said the poorly one was dehydrated and gave her an injection.  He was to keep them both there overnight.   Mr A had a phone call from him later in the day to say that as he was passing the industrial estate, he dropped them back there, saying the dog was ok and that if we were concerned to bring her over again on Thursday.

Yesterday, there wasn't much improvement, but she was no worse.  The other one seemed fine.

We chatted about these two little girls and we gave them names...Rosie and Daisy.  You know what that means don't you?  As soon as I name them, they're mine.  We agreed that we would make some adjustments in the garden, and that this morning we would take them both to OUR vet to be checked over, vaccinations given, etc, and then we would bring them home.

Mr A worked flat out yesterday, erecting another fence to cut off an area for the little ones.  Remember the chicken coop Mr A made early last year?   It was quite large, solid and waterproof, so he converted it into a kennel.  I scrubbed it out to get rid of all signs of the cats who once inhabited it...they haven't been back for months.  I sorted out blankets.  Everything was ready for them.

When we arrived at the estate this morning, we didn't see them at first.  They usually come running out the minute our car pulls up, wagging their tails.  Then we spotted Daisy, the one who WASN'T sick.  But she just sat crouched up, clearly ill.   She wouldn't move no matter how much I called her.  So I scooped her up and held her close.   We couldn't see Rosie anywhere.  In fact we searched for almost half an hour, before we found her lying in the grass.  Mr A picked her up and she was worse than Daisy.   I was amazed at how quickly they had become so sick.

We rushed off to our vet, Mehmet and  they were both diagnosed with parvovirus.  It was quite advanced.  They had deteriorated so rapidly.  Mehmet said that if they had been a little bit older and not so weak it might have been worth trying to save them, but by this stage the chances of survival were very remote.  So we had no alternative but to have them put to sleep.  Poor little Rosie and Daisy.  I so wished I had taken them home weeks ago.  But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

We are heartbroken but we are also angry.  The belediye vet should have discovered signs of this two days ago.  Mr A phoned him to tell him what had happened, and to say that the two bitches that were spayed this week and should have been collected by Mr A today to be returned to the estate, should stay at the shelter for a couple of days more.  With open wounds post-op they are likely to pick up anything.  The vet said collect tomorrow, but we insisted on two more days.  We also said we wanted to bring the mum and 7 pups there because these pups are most at risk of parvo, which is highly contagious especially amongst pups and any dogs less than a year old.  He said there was no space for them.  We cannot vaccinate them until they are 6 weeks old.  Any sooner is too risky and they would probably die. 

Mr A phoned the Belediye Manager and complained bitterly.  He explained that there is clearly an outbreak of parvo on the estate and the vet should be dealing with it.  He has promised to talk to the vet and get him to sort it out.   I won't hold my breath.  Mr A says if he gets no satisfaction then he will take it to the Governor of the Province, and further up the ladder if needs be.  He tries, but no-one seems to care.

A lady I know who volunteers with a rescue group in Uzumlu area, has been feeding animals on the streets, and one dog in particular which she has become very fond of, called Bella, was yesterday shot in the face.  This gentle girl was no trouble.  She didn't chase sheep or chickens or cause any problems.  This lady was devasted.  Bella was rushed to the vet where it was discovered that there were pellets in her brain which could not be removed.  She died this morning.  Yet another mindless act of cruelty.

My heart breaks for these animals and the harsh lives they have to endure, and makes me ashamed to be part of the human race.

Rest in peace Rosie, Daisy and Bella xxx


PS: As parvovirus is highly contagious we had to wash our hands and shoes at the vet clinic, after which the vet cleaned the floors and table.  Bleach is the only thing that works.  Then on arrival home, left our shoes at the gate, to be washed in bleach later, and all our clothes went straight into the washing machine and then we showered, after having cleaned the inside of the car with bleach and water.

Of course all my dogs have been vaccinated but there is always a slight risk.  Better safe than sorry.

We will continue to feed the dogs at the estate but will take adequate precautions to avoid spreading the virus.  We will take large containers of bleach and water to clean our shoes and anything that we touch in the car.  Towels on the seats, and I have bought a large box of disposable latex gloves.  We will also bleach and hose down the area where Rosie and Daisy lived.    We are also trying to get hold of parvovirus vaccinations. The belediye vet doesn't have them, and any vets that do have to  import them, and will attempt to vaccinate as many dogs as possible.  We will need money for this, so as usual, any help you can give will be very much appreciated.


24 comments:

  1. Oh how very sad! It is endless here - but PLEASE carry on with your fantastic work with these animals. You are so fortunate to be married to a Turkish man who cares like this. Why does no one in the mosque say that shooting etc. helpless animals who have done no wrong is NOT okay? We are ALL God's creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Lady I am lucky that my husband cares as much as I do. It is rare in Turkish men. I'm not religious, but my husband is. He believes that people who inflict such cruelty will be judged and punished by Allah. I am more inclined to believe in karma...although I guess there's not much difference.

      Delete
  2. Sorry i didn't leave my name on my comment, about Lily, my names Lauren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's OK Lauren. Thanks for letting me know xx

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry....poor little souls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least they aren't suffering Helen. I have to keep telling myself that xx

      Delete
  4. thats so sad linda read about bella early on poor puppies but not sauffering x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to keep telling myself they are no longer suffering Olwen, whilst there are so many more out there that are :-(

      Delete
  5. Oh Linda, am in tears for the three of them. Yes, hindsight is wonderful and they obviously got round your heart. But poor Bella too- I honestly could kill. I have often told Robert if any of my animals were hurt I could kill and accept the consequences- I just can't stand it. I know they are nor suffering now but I bet you are. Feeling for you. Wish I could give you a hug. Bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Elizabeth. I've cried and I've shouted and sworn in anger, but now I just feel numb. Lots of love to you my dear friend xxxx

      Delete
  6. Oh Linda, what a god damn awful day!! I am so very sorry for what you all are feeling and such a waste of life. But you did the right thing with the puppies, they didn't have to endure anymore suffering. As for Bella, I so hope the evil person who did this is caught! And, yes, I believe in karma too! God bless you for all you continue to do. Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunatelty Angie it's unlikely the culprit will be caught and even if they are, very little or no action is likely to be taken. Maybe a fine and a slap on the wrists at most.

      Delete
  7. Aww, sorry to hear that Ayak. {{{hugs}}}
    You guys have been doing such an awesome job! It's a shame you can't be everywhere at once...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deniz. Yes we are already trying to spread ourselves too thinly. It's a huge problem which is impossible to overcome with just two of us xx

      Delete
  8. I like you helped a group in Kemer, Antalya to feed street animals, Again like you I fell in love with a beautiful little pup. I managed to take her home, but just 3 days later she started to fit. She also had parvovirus, it is an awful disease. I also had to have her put to sleep. I was heartbroken, so I know just how you are feeling. I have now had another rescued dog for 8 years.
    Please keep up the great work both you and your husband are doing. My heart breaks for these animals. Kath x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Kath. There are many of us scattered about this country doing what we can, and it's quite a struggle. Feeding is one thing, but when there is an outbreak like this it makes it so much more difficult. I bet your dog is lovely and very loyal, these street dogs make wonderful pets don't they?

      Delete
  9. Very sad to hear this news, but if you had brought the pups home a day earlier they could have infected your home dogs so maybe , sad though the outcome was, your six are still healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right BtoB and once I had stopped beating myself up about it, I did stop and think about this, so I should be thankful that I didn't make that decision.

      Delete
  10. That is so sad, Ayak. Virulent infection is dreadful but at least we can understand how it happens. Wanton cruelty is incomprehensible and makes me very angry. I do hope the other pups escape infection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do fear for the other pups Perpetua. They don't stand much of a chance unless we vaccinate them at 6 weeks old, which we will try to do, but then what happens? No-one wants dogs so permanent homes are unlikely.

      I agree, this virus is something that we can understand. The mindless acts of cruelty are something else entirely.

      Delete
  11. You are amazing! I don't know how you guys are able to do this on your limited budget. It makes me sad that there are so many wild dogs and no one cares for their welfare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for the people who have kindly donated to help us with the expense, we wouldn't be able to do it Kelleyn. We will do what we can but we are running out of money now and it is very difficult. xx

      Delete
  12. Oh Linda, how terrible for you and of course the lady with the dog that was shot in the face. Only one consolation they are all in a better place, this planet is getting to be a place of of hell, I suppose it has always been this way and years ago much worse because there were no inoculations for these poor mites. I fear for the pups and other on the Kirazli road by me. I am sure two are missing, but difficult to know for sure as they hide in the bushes.
    We must carry on regardless and do the best we can. Everyday there is heartbreak and I often wonder where I get the strength to put the worst things behind me and carry on. You must feel exactly the same and it is a never ending battle and so frustrating when others do not cooperate. There seems to be more dogs than ever dumped on the road around me. They wander aimlessly around looking at each and every car that passes to see if their owner is going to come back and take them home. Obviously, there is no chance of that and what loyalty as these dogs are half starved and no doubt been badly treated. Keep your chin up, I know exactly how you and Mr. A are feeling. It is a long hard battle and one that will never be won. F.XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know only too well that you understand Fleur, because you do your best too. It is a struggle, but one neither you nor I can give up. Lots of Love xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x