Thursday, 6 February 2014

Working for free

It will probably come as no surprise that Mr A  has still not been paid for the last two labouring jobs.  Two days working for one man, and two days for another..weeks ago..with promises of payment several times which didn't happen.  

It seems that the two jobs were connected, ie both for the same "company" (I use the word loosely because I am sure it's not completely legitimate), although Mr A wasn't aware of this with the second job, having been introduced to the builder by an acquaintance.  The same man who had told him about the first job.   The latest promise of payment to Mr A, and 15 other men was to be at 6pm at the teahouse last night.

In the meantime Mr A has made good progress with the wall at the back of the house, surrounding the dog's area.  The wall is now finished and yesterday afternoon we drove into Milas to get some more chicken wire to put around the top of the wall.   On the way back, and just as we were about to turn off the main road to the village, Mr A spotted someone he knew waiting at the Bodrum bus stop.  He pulled up, told me to wait in the car, and approached the man.  This, I soon realised, was the man who had introduced him to the two jobs.

Raised voices and much waving of arms, in the usual Turkish style, then ensued.  This went on for about 10 minutes.   Mr A got back in the car, very angry.   He couldn't manage to establish from the man where the company is situated, only that it is "somewhere in the Bodrum area".  He does however know where this man lives, near Mumcular, and threatened promised to turn up at his house today for his money, if it wasn't forthcoming at the promised time.

I personally feel it would be a wasted journey.  Mr A is owed 180 lira and it will end up costing more to recover this sum, and it's not worth it.  The other men have worked for months it seems, and are owed considerably more, but they don't seem to be making any effort to recover it.  I'll never understand why they just accept this.

Mr A was offered some more labouring work a couple of days ago, by someone else.  He said he would be happy to do it if he was paid at the end of each day in cash.   This was refused, so on my advice, Mr A declined the offer of work.  What's the point?  He could end up working for months and never see any money.

And incidentally,  no-one turned up last night at the teahouse to pay the men for their work.  No surprise there then.

................................................

We are still feeding the industrial estate and village dogs.  You can see my daily updates on the "Street Dogs Feeding and Treatments" page at the top of the blog.

12 comments:

  1. How frustrating! His story reminds me of a dateline story of men being lured over to the Middle East and then not being paid in a timely manner and being paid less than agreed up! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess it doesn't happen just in this country Kelleyn :-(

      Delete
  2. This non payment for work is fraud. Can Mr. A go to the local Kaymakam and make a complaint? He would need more information about the whereabouts of this so called `company`. I hope he gets paid, but I doubt it, only pressure from the local governor is going to get these men paid their due. F.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it were that simple Fleur. It is now suspected that this so called "company" has been paid for a job, had men working for them for months, not paid them, and has probably moved on elsewhere to do the same all over again. 3 of the men have gone off to search for the "company" today. Mr A didn't go as we were otherwise engaged. If they find them they'll try to take the wages for all the men...but I think it's doubtful.

      Delete
  3. It's quite shameful...but, like you, I think efforts to extract payment will be unavailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Helen. He's already wasted time and petrol money chasing after a relatively small amount compared with what's owed to the other men. I think we just put it down to yet another bad experience

      Delete
  4. This is really HORRIBLE.....I just hope Karma reaches these shameful characters. This is like in Russia I was reading they brought immigrant workers over for labour for Sochi and shipped them back with NO payment which they worked for ....for months.
    So sorry for your troubles.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really horrible too Erica. There really are some unscrupulous people in this world.

      Delete
  5. So sorry - it really is unacceptable but clearly it's regular practice. I do hope some scrupulous employer eventually turns up and offers genuine and paid work. And that someone somewhere (not Mr A) sorts out the gangsters and thieves who have no scruples. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it does seem to happen here an awful lot Annie. I've told him to forget what he's owed and just think himself lucky he isn't one of the other men who have done far more work for these people than Mr A's 4 days.

      Delete
  6. This is appalling, Ayak - so unfair and corrupt. It amazes me that the Turkish government can be pursuing its bid to join the EU when such flagrant breaches of workers' rights take place every day. I do hope Mr finds an honest employer soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well all this starts at the top Perpetua, as you may have seen in recent news reports? I am being careful what I say here as a new law is being introduced which will increase the already heavy censorship on the internet. I won't be surprised if blogs are blocked....it's happened before. Mr A is wary about working for anyone at the moment and I can understand that.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x