Thursday, 27 March 2014

A busy day for Mr A

I've not been as active as I normally am this past week, which started off for me with a bout of what seemed to be food poisoning, and a chest infection added for good measure.  The stomach bug has cleared up now and the chest is being dealt with...still coughing but it's nowhere near as bad.

If I didn't have the help and support of Mr A with our dogs and the street dogs, I would never be able to manage all this.

I deal with our nine dogs, which involves feeding from around 5am in the morning, cleaning all areas where the dogs are (poo patrol as I fondly call it).  Cleaning out the pups kennel and the four big dogs' "bedroom", washing their blankets, etc.  I also administer worm and flea treatments, and I have to keep a book now to make sure I know when all of the dogs are due their next treatments and vaccinations.   The pups are now down to three meals a day and they are becoming more lively and curious by the day.  They are quite a handful but an absolute delight.

Mr A deals with the feeding programme for the dogs at the industrial estate and in the village.  We are continuing to feed them every other day, as explained in my other page (link at the top of this page).  He is also excellent at administering injections.

Yesterday we learned that a group of people from one of the government departments were coming to the village to administer vaccinations to sheep and all dogs OWNED by people here.  I'm not sure what this department is called, but it's something like Village Services.   We wanted to see if our street dogs could also be given vaccinations so Mr A set off to the village early to see what could be done.  They were only prepared to vaccinate the street dogs if we paid a small fee for each dog, so we agreed.

Mr A normally feeds the village dogs in the evening.  They know this and turn up to wait for him.  Because this was not their normal time, he had to go out and search for them.   He found five and got them vaccinated.   He also popped up to the industrial estate to feed the dogs there, but was surprised to find that there were no dogs, except owned dogs, to be found.  We wondered if they had been rounded up by the Belediye, and Mr A tried constantly to get hold of both the Belediye Manager and vet by phone, but his calls were not answered.

So back to the village, where he managed to find more dogs (some that don't turn up each day to be fed), and managed to get a total of 11 dogs vaccinated.

He then asked the Village Services people if they were also prepared to vaccinate the dogs on the industrial estate if he could locate them.  They agreed, and having taken one of their phone numbers, he set off back to the estate.  By the time he arrived, 13 dogs had re-appeared, so he phoned the people to join him, and they were all vaccinated.  They waited around for a little longer, while Mr A searched the area, but no more were to be found.  But we are happy that we were able to get so many vaccinated.  The Muhtar also agreed to share some of the cost for this, for which we are grateful.  We are still in need of donations to continue to feed the dogs, and give worm and flea treatments on a regular basis, so anything you can manage, no matter how small, will be very gratefully received.

This was a whole day's work for Mr A.  I love his dedication.  What would I do without him? 

14 comments:

  1. always read and enjoy your blogs but they leave me feeling exhausted! Just dont know how you do all the things you do in a day. Keep up the good work! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. I'm glad you enjoy my blog but sorry they make you exhausted! I'm constantly tired these days...sleepless nights...which usually means I post on here in the early hours of the morning! (Next time you comment, could you leave a name at the end of your post if you are using "Anonymous" please, (even if it's not your real name) so I don't have to call you Anonymous! Thanks xxx

      Delete
  2. You are both doing a great job, Linda - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you've been under the weather....Mr. A is a real treasure.

    Not just for you, but for those dogs you have both helped....his persistence and persuasion have seen the Village Services people do far more than they had intended to...and he even got some money out of the Muhtar!

    What sort of a society is it that has talented men like him scratching round looking for a job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's funny you should say that Helen. I was just about to do a blog post about an interview that Mr A attended today, but I'm so angry I'll just keep it brief and tell you here. They offered him 750 lira a month, which is 248 Euro. The national minimum wage is 425 Euro...1284 lira. They said after the first month, if they were satisfied they may increase it. He politely asked for a little more. They said they would call him later. They called to say that they had offered the job to someone else. Some poor soul is happy to have a job. The problem also is that it's 35km to the job from home. The cost of petrol deducted from his monthly salary of 750 lira would leave him around 150 lira. What's the bloody point???

      Delete
    2. It is disgraceful! you must feel like spitting blood!

      Delete
  4. Oh Linda, what a time you are having. Get better soon please. I thought something was up as you have been quiet of late. You have a real gem in Mr. A and my admiration for him knows no bounds, he really is dedicated as you are, but not many men would do what he has done for the dogs in the village and the industrial estate. You have enough to do with the nine dogs you have. How will you cope if Mr. A has to go away to work? What a pittance people want to pay these days, plus as you know often they do not get paid at all. Grrrrrrrh. Love.F.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well on a personal level I'll cope if he goes away to work Fleur,because I'm used to it. Our 9 dogs will be fine, but we need to make some kind of provision for the street dogs if he is not around. We have one or two ideas that may work, failing that I will be getting the dolmus up to the estate to feed the dogs. Something will work itself out. You of all people know that whatever life throws at us, we cope with it somehow xxx

      Delete
  5. Hope you are feeling better....and I wish you both the best because you two do a lot of good work.....but my Mom use to say if one door closes another will open, so I'm hoping a new door will open fast for you both....take care XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Erica. I think your Mum is probably right...at least I hope so. Another door has opened but I'm not going to talk about it until it's certain xx

      Delete
  6. Ayak, the daily rate for building a wall in Bodrum is 150 to 200 lira - Mr A must advertise. My daughter was also ill last week with all the symptoms you had - must be a bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think he should advertise BtoB. Although as I just mentioned to Erica, another possibility has arisen. Fingers crossed it works out...and only then will I write about it!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x