Pages

Sunday, 9 March 2014

A farmer's market and a new kennel.

Dave asleep in the sunshine today
After torrential rain again on Friday, yesterday we had sunshine.  I was delighted because I had decided to do the bus journey over to Gumbet.  It was very muddy in the village. More than usual in fact because the roads are being dug up ready for resurfacing, so I would never have been able to get down to the bus in the village without being ankle deep in mud.

Mr A gave me a lift on the motorbike out of the village to the main road to catch the bus to Bodrum.  I then got the dolmus to Gumbet.

The expat community in Gumbet has been running a monthly farmers market for some time now.  I joined their Facebook page a little while ago, and have been very tempted by the mouthwatering goodies that they bake, but as yet hadn't been over to sample them for myself.

As the produce seems to sell very quickly as soon as the market starts at 12 noon, it is possible to pre-order, so I reserved some mini Belgian iced buns, and also some Cadbury's crème eggs.  I'm actually not that keen on the filling, but I only have to see the word Cadbury's chocolate and I come out in a cold sweat.....this is what happens to chocoholics of course!  I also ordered two birthday cards for Billy and Jimi's birthdays in April, from a man who personalises them, and they were brilliant.

I had been chatting to a woman on another group page who lives in Bitez, and who goes to the farmers market so we decided to meet up for a coffee beforehand.  She was very nice.  Easy to get along with.  Also a bit of a crazy dog woman like me, so we had much in common.  She also introduced me to a few other people at the market, and a group of us sat outside the restaurant where it's held, and enjoyed a beer in the sunshine.

Apart from my pre-ordered items, I also bought two Cornish pasties and two scones.  They were delicious.  I should really make my own, and maybe I will sometime, but somehow these things always taste much better when someone else bakes them.  So I will definitely be attending more in the future.

When I returned home, Mr A went out to find a large plastic kennel for the pups.  They are really expensive, but Mehmet the vet had one that was secondhand, which he was selling for a friend, so this saved us a bit of money.   The pups love it.   We have placed it near to the house at the bottom of the balcony steps and they took to it straight away.  They are coming out to go to the toilet, no accidents inside at all.  Monty, who still continues to take on the role of father, pokes his head inside every time he passes, to make sure they are OK, and when they are outside, he plays with them and generally keeps them in order.  Bless him.

So a pretty successful day yesterday, and I have to admit to enjoying a few dog-free hours away from the village with good company.

12 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had such a successful day out.
    Yep - even Beans on Toast tastes extra good when cooked by someone else!

    Granny G
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Granny G. Yes it does...and you've just reminded me how much I miss baked beans x

      Delete
  2. I quite agree...so much nicer when someone else makes them!

    I went to a producers' market yesterday in San Jose - family firms and groups from all over the country and really enjoyed being able to buy super cheeses - and water buffalo steaks - at prices that were,luckily, very reasonable as a lot of firms had special offers for the show.
    So I know what you mean about having a dog free day too...or in my case lamb free...
    Enjoy your goodies in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is essential to have a day away from everything Helen. It helps to recharge the batteries. Enjoying the goodies very much x

      Delete
  3. The farmers' market sounds great, so glad you had a good time. It sounds as if the puppies are really settling in well. The photos you are posting are beautiful. I love it that you are admitting to enjoying those few dog free hours ! Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The puppies are becoming more adventurous by the day Janice. I need eyes in the back of my head to keep tabs on them. It is nice to have a break away from the dogs occasionally, and I am always sure of a fantastic welcome when I return xx

      Delete
  4. Give me a ring when you go to the next one - I keep saying I'll go but the calories that are likely to be consumed put me off going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes BtoB...the extra calories can be a problem with so much stuff to tempt us. I really think you should do a stall. You make such wonderful things which I know would sell very quickly. The next one is on 29th March, and if I can get over I'll certainly ring you beforehand.

      Delete
  5. I love Farmer's Markets and am delighted that you've found one full of things you like, Ayak. Great to have a bit of time to yourself doing things that are not entirely 'doggy', so to speak! Sounds like you will go again!
    Axxx
    PS - Pippin has doubled his weight in four weeks and is looking huge now in comparison to your little poppets. He's very disobedient and wilful and is taking a lot of my time but I do hope he will show my faith in him soon....! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy having some time out Annie, and it actually spurred me on to do some baking yesterday and today. I have never made Cornish pasties. I've always been useless at pastry but I had a go and they turned out really well. Then I attempted scones which I've also never cooked before. They were ok but I think the dough was a little too sticky so will give it another go.

      Puppies do take up so much of your time Annie. It will get better in time and is much easier to train one. It sounds like Pippin is going to be a big boy, if the weight gain in such a short time is anything to go by. Well the old cliché works...ignore bad behaviour and reward good. My 3 pups are running rings around me. They all have such different personalities. They are starting to play together and are very lively. Can't believe they are not even 6 weeks old yet and look bigger each day. Hard work but they are absolutely delightful xxx

      Delete
  6. The old saying "A change is as good as a rest" certain ly rings true in this post, Ayak. However much you love your dogs, a bit of a break is good for you. I completely agree that food cooked by others always tastes wonderful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a welcome break Perpetua. I have now made my second batch of scones which were perfect, so the visit to the market has inspired me to bake things that I don't usually attempt. But yes, other peoples' cooking always seems to taste better!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x