Pages

Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Frustrating times

I'm pretty sure that all those lovely people dotted around this country, who give up their time and money to feed, care for, and rescue the animals on the streets, will feel like I do at times.  I bet they wonder what the hell they signed up for.

We do our best under such difficult circumstances.  Whilst we are caring for many animals, there are others out there shooting the animals and poisoning them.  There are shelters all over the country, run by the local authorities who have an obligation by law to take responsibility for strays.  This is the law as it stands at the moment

ANIMAL PROTECTION BILL LAW NO. 5199    It makes interesting reading...and that's about it.  Very rarely is it put into practise.

Only yesterday we were informed on Facebook about Didim shelter.  Volunteers who regularly visit the shelter to do what they can, turned up on Sunday to find puppies dead, and others dying, and no staff on duty.  It's a sadly familiar story.  I can't tell you how many times I shed tears for the plight of the thousands upon thousands of desperate animals here.

All those who give up their time to do what they can, have to rely on the generosity of others and money from their own pockets, to be able to continue.

I have been lucky enough to receive donations from people who cannot be here to help, but feel the need to do something.  I am so grateful for their generosity.   But donations are drying up now.  As a result we have had to cut back the feeding on the industrial estate and village to every other day.  We are committed to giving the 7 pups the best start in life, so not only have we wormed, flea-treated and started the vaccination process for the 3 that we have taken in, but also for the other 4 that we homed. 

I have just received a promised donation which was earmarked to get the mum of the pups spayed.  But we have a hefty vet bill to pay, so it will have to be used towards that.  In the meantime, we are still putting pressure on the Belediye vet to spay the mum, along with others that urgently need doing.  However, the local elections due to take place at the end of the month are taking priority over everything else.  Every time we approach the Belediye vet, he is "too busy" to help.  Even if we manage to get him to do the job he should be doing by law, he will do only the bare minimum, as we discovered with the two bitches we recently had spayed by him.  He will do the operation, but we end up buying antibiotics and painkillers from our own vet.  We then check them every day, spraying the wounds with antibacterial spray, buying the bucket collars for them, until they are fully recovered.

In a conversation Mr A recently had with one of the candidates running for the head of the Milas Belediye, it was suggested by this man that perhaps a shelter might be considered for our village, and that maybe Mr A and I would run it.  What a wonderful idea.  But I take a lot of this with a huge pinch of salt.  It's all talk.  They'll tell people what they want to hear at any given time, just to get votes.   Time will tell.

You can follow my feeding programme by clicking the link to the page on the top of my blog.

10 comments:

  1. There are a gang of us here going to see one of the candidates from (the good party!!) who is interested in the animals plight, the other side declined the invitation from the head of P&C`s and wasn`t interested.
    I really do not know what is the matter with people lately, but I have seen and felt an undercurrent of rage. I have spoken to a lot of Turkish people who agree with me about this, we can only hope after the elections that this dies down, because innocent animals suffer as often people take out their anger on them.
    It would be super to run a shelter in your village provided it is properly funded and there are enough volunteers to help you and Mr.A. you cannot do everything and people need to be onboard in case of illness when you cannot turn up.
    Like you, I get terribly frustrated and there are limits to what you can do.
    I am am member like you of P&C`s and they do fund raising for the animals and do a superb job, but I am alone in my quest. Sometimes, Charlotte and I sit down to egg and chips when money becomes tight. I made a committment to feed certain dogs, but always more arrive.
    I just try and plod on as best I can and like you, I feed every other day.
    Keep your chin up Linda, what we are doing will always bring joy and heartache.Love.F.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Fleur. I know you feel the same way as me, and I know just how much you do for the animals in your area.....and I have just seen on Facebook that you are taking on another very needy dog. Bless you xxx

      Delete
  2. When I see all the money "wasted" on political pamphlets, scarves, clocks, parties etc, I wish some of the money could be directed to good causes. But that is politics the world over I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is BtoB, and I don't suppose it will change.....anything to win votes.

      Delete
  3. The idea of you and Mr A running a shelter is amazing. It would be so good if that was possible. Lets hope it is not an empty promise. I suppose if enough people wanted it, it would be something a politician would feel obliged to support....and maybe its not just people who want to care for the dogs that would want such a shelter, but the people who want the dogs off the streets by any means, fair or foul. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be delighted if this ever happened Janice, but I am so used to empty promises here. Mr A had brought up the subject of the dogs when he was talking to this candidate, so I feel sure the man was just paying lip service. But we try to live in hope x

      Delete
  4. Politicians and animals...I know which I'd rather have running the country!
    Here a proposed law on the mistreatment of animals is mysteriously held up in the legislature - because drug companies oppose it.
    And animal lovers can't raise the same sort of money as drug companies to affect the passage of legislation....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it always about money Helen?

      Delete
  5. It would be so good if there could be a shelter in your village run by you and Mr A, but I'm afraid I'm as cynical as everyone else about politicians and their glib (and usually empty) election priomises. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I feel exactly the same Perpetua. Once they get into power, election promises are mostly forgotten.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x