Sunday, 30 March 2014

Jobs on the horizon?

Well we went off to vote in the village school this morning.  What a performance.  The system could not be simpler, but waiting in the queue to go into the voting room and watching the antics of the villagers was comical to say the least.   You'd think it was the most difficult thing in the world for people to cope with.  

Elderly women refusing to enter without their husbands..the officials not allowing it...the shouting and waving of arms as a result.  These women are so used to their husbands thinking for them, making all their decisions, that they can't cope with thinking for themselves.  One woman accidentally knocking a whole pile of voting papers from the official's tables, bending down to pick them up, then having to get assistance to help her up.  The official wasn't happy, but the one on the door was laughing hysterically (and so I'm afraid were we..not at the woman I hasten to add, but at the reactions of the officials).

Others, spoiling voting papers and having to get replacements.  Posting envelopes in the wrong ballot boxes, in spite of being told which one to use (there were two..one for district candidates and one for the muhtar).

It was all so easy.  I was in and out within minutes, but wouldn't have missed the entertainment for the world.   I was tempted to hang around a bit longer...it beats spending time on Facebook!

Anyway...jobs.   Mr A went over to Kusadasi the week before last, to see a man who owns several hotels and wanted someone to sell the hamam experience in one of them.   It really isn't the kind of job that Mr A wants to do again, but needs must, and it would have been immediate start.   The job was offered...no salary...just 5% commission on sales.  We know only too well what this means.  18 hour days, 7 days a week, just to survive.  Apart from having paid for petrol for him to do the round trip, we would need to find the money for him to return, and then a week later for him to come back home for today's voting.  He decided against it.

I recently mentioned a carpet centre not far from the industrial estate where we feed the dogs.  The job didn't materialise because plans for anticipated groups of tourists hadn't been finalised, and there was no guarantee of a job for Mr A.

Two days ago he had a phone call from the owner of the carpet centre, offering him the job.  Groups have now been booked, and Mr A is to start work on 1st May.  You all know how I tend not to believe any of this until it actually happens, but it seems genuine, because he had to produce lots of paperwork, including blood tests and medical check-up, etc.  He managed to do all this the same day.  Went to the centre, handed over to the boss, and hands were shaken on it.

So he has a month to spare.  He has now decided to drive over to Kusadasi early tomorrow morning and work in the hamam for a month.  We're not sure he will earn much, but anything is better than nothing.  At least he is provided with accommodation and food, which keeps our costs down.  And it gives him something to do before starting his proper job. 

In the meantime, our street dog feeding programme will continue.  The café owner at the industrial estate, who adopted one of the pups, has agreed to feed the other dogs every other day.  We have left him sacks of food to do this.  If he has a problem, or he is not going to be there, he will let us know, in which case I will catch the village dolmus up to the estate and do the feeding myself.

The teahouse owner (another man who adopted one of the pups) will feed the village dogs in the meantime.  I am not so certain he is as reliable as the estate man, but it won't be too difficult for me to check on what he is doing.

Once Mr A starts his job on 1st May, he will pass the industrial estate on his way to work so will resume the feeding himself.

Now I just have to get through this month with my nine furry friends, and try not to get too stressed about being on my own once again, and worrying about whether all this will work out.  Roll on 1st May when hopefully I'll be able to relax....fingers crossed!

12 comments:

  1. Good news - I'm presuming it is the carpet place just after the turning to your village. I know two people who worked there for many years 15 years ago - It was good then - hopefully still so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where it is exactly BtoB, but sounds like it could be the one you know. If so, I hope it is still as good as you say xx

      Delete
  2. So happy Mr. A has found and close to home too.
    When I got to the school yesterday to vote there were lots of people hanging around and I was approached by the bekci from the site where I used to have a holiday home, who guided me to the right room. Afterwards Charlotte and I were invited to drink tea in the school canteen and it ended up with about 12 of us discussing all sorts of things. I really enjoyed it, not like in the UK, so I can understand the fun you had Linda. Love.F.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm relieved about the job Fleur, but won't feel happy until he starts. We've had change of plans and he is not going over to Kusadasi this month. I hardly think 5% commission is worth all the effort!

      Delete
  3. The elections sounded hilarious but a little sad.
    Isn't it awful for women to be kept down like this?

    Glad Mr A has jobs on the horizon. He tries very hard to get regular work. You must be proud of the way he keeps going in hope.

    Glad the dog feeding is going well & that other people are getting involved.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid it's the way it is with the older women here Maggie.

      I am so hoping for this job to happen but we have so many disappointments that I try not to be too optimistic. Mr A has decided against going to Kusadasi for the month. It's unlikely he can earn anywhere near enough to make the long hours worth it, so he's back to feeding the dogs, but yes it is good to know that there are people willing to stand in when necessary.

      Delete
  4. This is sounding positive...fingers crossed it works out. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers and everything else crossed at the moment Janice xx

      Delete
  5. Wishing Mr. A all the best in job hunting and hopefully he will score soon....poor guy he tries so hard. The job situation here is also just terrible....students who graduated Teacher's College here have no jobs. Some of my daughter's friends have all moved to London to teach till they can land a job back here. :-(

    The voting I know is hilarious.....I can just imagine. Before there was a huge load of Immigrants coming into the city here it was normal..just vote and be on your merry way...well now they hire Security guards and Cops at the door depending which area . Due to the cheating that goes on...

    Anyways wish you all the best...and I'm not in Paris, it was a joke my friend wanted me to help her with....I couldn't say 'no'. Can't afford Patis for a while. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about Paris Erica, which is why I didn't comment...waiting for you to say it was an April Fool joke or similar!

      The job situation is difficult in many countries these days. I do feel sorry for those leaving colleges and universities and having no hope of a job.

      Delete
  6. Well, the votes were apparently returned and counted. I suspect the results will prove as ridiculous as the process...but I wish you all well!
    It's a real strategic masterpiece getting everything sorted, Ayak. I think you and Mr A should run for the next elections. That'd show 'em how it should be done. I just hope all the jobs prove fruitful this time.
    Big hugs - you deserve a medal for your dedication! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vote rigging really came as no surprise Annie. As far as the job situation is concerned, see my latest post. It's not getting any easier xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x