Saturday, 22 March 2014

Sad and Happy

You will probably recall the post I did a while ago about the two black puppies on the estate who had parvovirus, which we sadly had to have put to sleep.  I'm still upset about losing them, but thank goodness we made sure that the virus hasn't spread to the rest of the estate, and there have been no other outbreaks to date.

We are continuing with our feeding programme, but now we feed every two days, rather than every day.  This is for two reasons.  Firstly, the winter months are the most difficult and the dogs cannot find food anywhere, and we have managed to get them through this.   The estate is busier now and as there are more men working there, there are more food scraps for the dogs.  The estate café owner, who adopted one of our 7 pups, also saves his food scraps for the other dogs too.  Secondly, our finances just won't allow us to buy enough food to feed every day.   We will soon have to cut back to feeding every three days and so on, unless we can raise more money.

Not a brilliant photo I'm afraid
But now for some happy news.   We have managed to find a home for one of the dogs on the estate.  He was often to be found with the two black pups who had parvo.  Thankfully, he wasn't affected, and is a very healthy little dog.  We think he could be about a year old.  We have been giving him immune boosters along with other dogs on the estate, and flea-treating and worming him regularly.  And now a man from our village has adopted him.   We wormed him and flea treated again yesterday, and have the man a new collar and lead for him.  He has promised to take him to the vet to get his vaccinations as soon as possible. One lucky little boy!

Mr A has also been talking to the head of the Belediye again, putting pressure on him about the plight of the dogs at the industrial estate.  The belediye vet has been contacted and it would seem that they are willing to take a number of the dogs to the shelter to be neutered and cared for.  We have no idea of numbers or when this will happen (no doubt after the elections), or if it will happen at all, but it gives us hope, and something to work on.

Fingers crossed it happens!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like great news! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. A sounds pretty effective...he persists...so there might yet be some action from the Belediye.
    but not, of course, until after the elections!
    Is Turkey still twittering? I see the President made his views known...on Twittter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...this Twitter ban is an absolute farce Helen. People of course find ways around it, and there has been no drop in the number of tweets. I don't use Twitter myself, but I do object strongly to yet another act by this despicable man to stop freedom of speech.

      Have a look at this link http://www.businessinsider.com/turkeys-twitter-block-fails-2014-3

      Delete
  3. I don't use twitter either but now feel I should sign up to show solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know what you mean. I did have an account but cancelled it because I didn't really get the hang of it, or even understand what it was all about. I've also discovered that within the last two days I am unable to access a website I use every day to watch programmes online (Watchseriesonline.eu) . I can get it with a VPN though, so I guess this is yet another ban to add to the list. Pathetic.

      Delete
  4. You have made a big difference in the lives of so many dogs. Glad one dog has been adopted by a kind man.

    I've heard that Turkey has banned Twitter. I don't use it but we should all have the choice, I think.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a perfect world there would be no strays on the streets Maggie. Sadly this world is nowhere near perfect.

      The Twitter ban has seriously backfired on the prime minister, and made him look even more foolish than he already is. Have a look at the link I posted on my comment to Helen above x

      Delete
  5. Sorry it's taken me a while to comment, Ayak - I'm still reading and following but my silly keyboard has been playing up and half the keys weren't working! My comments had no sense...and I don't often use the other computer other than to upload or scan photos....(you don't need to know how we function, sorry) but I am delighted to hear that there has been a bit of good news inamongst the sad stuff. Dogs do need homes. They deserve homes. Pippin is glorious now. Still a bit of a biter but doing really well. He could have been a street dog....or worse. Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always overjoyed when homes are found for stray dogs Annie. Yes they do deserve homes...all of them. I look at our three pups and keep remembering them being born in that old shell of a car and wondering what would have happened to them if we hadn't rescued them and their four brothers. I doubt they would still be alive. Pippin will I'm sure grow out of the biting. Just ignore it (difficult I know) and keep rewarding good behaviour....well you know all this anyway. xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x