Sunday, 2 March 2014

Sleepless nights...and days!

I'm writing this post at 2am as this is my third sleepless night since the pups arrived.  It's rather like having babies again, in this case triplets!

I've tried to take a nap during the day but as soon as I close my eyes, the squealing starts up again, so I give up.

It's early days of course and only to be expected. There's lots of advice about how to react to crying puppies....well, not reacting is apparently the best way to deal with it.  As long as they are fed and warm, then one should just ignore the crying and eventually they will settle.  This can go on for a few weeks and eventually they get the message.  It's hard to function on no sleep, but I reassure myself that this situation won't last forever.

Melek had a check-up with the vet yesterday and her first vaccination.  She is also very healthy.  Dave has been scratching a fair bit, which is probably fleas and very normal in young pups, but they won't be able to have frontline for a couple of weeks.  Mr A saw Mehmet's wife yesterday, who is also a vet, and she used a spray on Melek and he bought some for Chas and Dave.  I was a bit wary about spraying them, but the vet assured Mr A that this was suitable for the pups.  They haven't had any adverse reaction to the spray, but I'm not sure it's working as Dave is still scratching.  We need to consider that he may also have a touch of mange, which Mehmet said was possible.  There are no signs of this at the moment, but he will check again next week.

Mr A was worried about them not being warm enough so he bought 3 little soft jumpers for them from the vet.   Below is a photo of Melek wearing hers.  She is in the puppy carry bag just before leaving the vets.  Also inside the bag was the flea spray, a towel, and the 2 jumpers for Chas and Dave.  On his return I met him at the gate and he said Melek had had an "accident" in the bag on the way home.   There was poo everywhere.  So Melek was washed and dried.  Bag and contents hosed down and put in the washing machine.   And as it wasn't drying weather yesterday, they'll have to wait for their jumpers until today.   (See what I mean about it being like having babies again?  Maybe I should get them nappies!)


They are having 4 small meals a day and are eating well, and in spite of the sleepless nights, I absolutely adore them.  They are just so cute.   Monty is fascinated by them and follows them about.  Tommy ignores them.  Blondie, Sammy and Freddie are completely indifferent, but Megan seems to have taken on the role of a watchful mother.   She is no longer sleeping in the dog bedroom with the others, but is on the balcony, watching the kennel day and night, and when they come out during the day she stands close to them, giving their faces the odd lick. Bless her.



We continue to feed the village dogs and those at the industrial estate.  We have booked the mum of the pups in to be spayed next Wednesday with Mehmet, as the Belediye vet is being very unhelpful at the moment.   She will also be vaccinated and her skin condition treated.  I will then feel that we have  done as much as we can for her and her puppies.  I am still waiting for the promised donation for her operation, and we also have vaccinations for the pups to be paid for, flea treatments, more worm tablets, etc.    As well as needing to stock up on more sacks of dog food, so any help with this will be very gratefully received.

Finally, all is now quiet, so I think I should switch off my laptop and try to sleep.  What's betting as soon as I switch off the light and close my eyes, the crying will start up again?  The joys of having puppies!

21 comments:

  1. No ~ I am not going to ask why three pups? I see this is your life mission to rescue dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol if you read back over the last few posts all will be clear! And yes I guess there is no point really in asking why! xxx

      Delete
  2. Dear Megan, to keep a watchful eye on the pups....you could do with her taking shifts for you.
    What little beauties they are...no wonder you adore them.

    When we had pups about the house years ago I could not follow the advice to ignore them, they sounded so plaintive....I took up the rugs and put the pup box by the bed so that I could reach them - as long as they had been fed and given a little waddle before bedtime they would settle if I left my hand down among them and after a while would sleep through a short night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really hard to ignore Helen, that's for sure. But I am trying to be strict because with 9 dogs now, I shouldn't take any more into our very small house, or they will all want to be in here, and then we will have to move out to the kennel!

      You would have laughed at my antics this morning at around 6am. Trying to feed all dogs and pups in separate areas, and little Melek deciding she would follow me...Megan spotted her, thought she was going to go for her food and snapped at her. I tapped Megan on the nose and said NO firmly which was enough, and in any case no teeth were shown and no harm done, but enough of a warning to Melek to keep clear. Once the food was all gone Megan was back to licking Melek's face. She's just trying to be a strict "mother" I think.

      Delete
  3. You must be strict Linda, or you will never get a wink of sleep. They are fine, fed and warm. I used to tell Hugo to be quiet, then he would start again, then again, be quiet, he got the message pretty quickly and soon after I didn`t have any bother with him.F.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it gets better in time Fleur and I am being strict. It's such a long time since I had a puppy, I'm out of practise...and three are quite exhausting! Good job we didn't bring all 7 home! xx

      Delete
  4. Here in Kazakhstan they actually sell puppy nappies lol. Talk about paranoia over a bit of puppy toilet haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy isn't it Linda? Of course I was only joking when I mentioned nappies. With 9 dogs to look after, poo is the least of my worries xx

      Delete
  5. Often for puppies all you can do is comb and bathe them to get rid of fleas for a while. A spray is safer for pups than a treatment Linda as they are very young at the moment. As for the crying, only one treatment works for that.....ignore if you can :) David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and i forgot to say that fleas hate citrus, so to help you can rub the pup with a orange or lemon over its coat. It wont hurt the pup and it will smell better also heheh :) David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best to be as strict as possible David. I've discovered though that the crying is often because they want to go to toilet. Quite amazingly, at such a young age, for the last 24 hours or so, they've cried to be let out, gone straight to toilet, so there is nothing apart from the odd wee on the newspaper inside the kennel...clever pups! Well I'm certainly going to try lemon...we have two trees in our garden, so have plenty to use. Thankyou for that xx

      Delete
  7. You have my utmost respect and admiration, Ayak. As you know, Pippin is a lively and inquisitive and is taking up almost all my attention and time - can't imagine dealing with all you are doing! They look incredibly sweet and hope they settle to sleeping a lot soon and that you can also catch up!
    Take care.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard Annie, and no doubt will get worse before it gets better! I am beginning to see their different personalities, which is lovely...and yes they are very sweet. I'm sure I'll catch up with the lost sleep eventually. I do rather seem to be walking about in a daze at the moment!

      Delete
  8. It sounds like mayhem - happy puppy mayhem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mayhem is definitely the word BtoB...but certainly happy...well most of the time :-)

      Delete
  9. Elizabeth Stephen2 March 2014 at 12:39

    Oh absolutely adorable. All of them . It's a pity Megan couldn't take over night duty ? But they are still too small I suppose and it's a lot to ask of Megan.
    HHmm, if they can't come into the house you could always go and sleep with them!!! Ha ha only joking!!! Enjoy your babies and keep the stories coming... and the photos!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly would be helpful if Megan could do the odd shift Elizabeth! Mr A seems to be able to sleep through all this commotion...but that's men for you x

      Delete
  10. You are an absolute marvel! I think the prettiest pup is the one on the right with a slightly bluish hint!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is Chas, Maggie. He's the quietest one and quite shy. Dave is loud and constantly seeking attention, and Melek, the girl, is boss and bites the boys ears. They are such a handful but worth it xx

      Delete
  11. One is exhausting enough, Ayak, but three puppies must be running you ragged. Of course they are only just old enough to have left their mother and must be missing her at night. It's good, though, that they they are already asking to go out. Bear up - they are growing so fast things will surely quieten down soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will Perpetua. I really can't believe how fast they are growing, although I shouldn't be surprised considering the amount of food they eat!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x