Pages

Thursday, 24 April 2014

More pups that need our help

Yesterday Mr A called in to a house just on the outskirts of the village as he had become aware of some pups needing help.  The man and his wife who live there have a bitch who has had countless litters in recent years.  These people are, like many others in this village, quite poor and uneducated and they really don't know to deal with all this.

The dog has had yet another litter.  They are now about 2 weeks old.  We both called in again this morning, and the pups were so close together feeding from mum that it was difficult to count them, as we didn't want to get too close.  There are 7 or 8 of them.



We gather that previous litters have died and it breaks my heart to think that these little ones may suffer the same fate.  As I mentioned in my previous post, donations are drying up, and we are already concerned about how we will be able to continue to feed the industrial estate and village dogs that we have committed ourselves to.  But we can't just stand by and do nothing.

We always have a bag of dried food in the motorbike, so we left this for the mum.   Mr A has just returned to the pups with the last of our worm tablets for them and the mum.  We will also flea treat her, and the pups too when they are a little older.

I have received a couple of donations since my last post, which have provided food for the estate dogs.   When I arrived home and checked my emails I had received another donation from someone in Australia.  An amount sufficient to provide continuing the worming, flea treatments and  food for the mum.  When the pups are weaned we will help to feed them with appropriate food.   We would also like to get them all vaccinated in time, if we can afford to do so.  I was so upset about the pups and anxious about how we could look after them, that getting a donation today competely overwhelmed me and I just burst into tears.

We have given as much advice to the owners of the dog as possible, including the need to have her spayed at the earliest opportunity.  Something else that will cost money as the Belediye vet is still dragging his heels with our request for spaying more of the industrial estate dogs, so we hope that we will be in a position financially to use our own vet.

Later today Mr A is going back the the man's house and is going to help him to build a shelter at the back of his house, to keep mum and pups safe.   Of course it would be wonderful to find homes for the pups, and we will certainly do what we can to achieve this.

You know what comes next...I need more donations.  Thankyou so much to everyone who has donated so far.    Anything, no matter how small, will help us to help this mum and her pups for the foreseeable future, and all the others we look after.   You'll find the Paypal button at the top of this page.  Thankyou xx

6 comments:

  1. Its a great photo of the new pups. I do hope they'll be ok...and more importantly that the mother , somehow, manages to be spayed so she has no more. Take care A. Jxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think spaying her is a priority Janice, and we are determined to get it done. Thankyou as always for your continued support xxxx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thankyou and welcome to my blog. I'm glad you enjoy it x

      Delete
  3. Ayak, you're doing great work and I wish I could help. I can't get a PayPal a/c because according to the laws here, I need to have a tax number and I'm not employed so I haven't got one. However, I do wish you well. I must blog about the position of stray dogs here in Lucknow. There are litters born on the roadside every year and most of them end up dead under cars in no time. It's not good at all. Taking in a rescue dog is risky too, because of the danger of rabies. Otherwise, I'd love to adopt one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. I would imagine the stray dog problem is also awful in India, and I guess rabies is more of a risk there? It's rarer here in recent years and of course all my rescues have been vaccinated. Also the two we had spayed on the industrial estate were also vaccinated. I'd dearly love to get them all vaccinated but we can't manage everything I'm afraid. xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x