Sunday, 11 May 2014

Why it's useless to make plans

Much as I love living in this country, I came to the conclusion years ago that it's a waste of time and energy to make plans or indeed to rely on other people.  Friends of course are excluded from this.  I have very good friends who are completely reliable.

We have the same problem every year when it comes to Mr A finding work for the summer season.  Lots of promises of jobs that don't materialise for one reason or another.  I've blogged about it a fair amount.

The job in Kas (300km away) was intended to be a stop gap until something came up nearer home.  At least Mr A is earning money there.  I ended my last post with a PS to say that he was on his way home.  He phoned at midnight, and I had no idea when he would be here or why.

He arrived home at midday on Thursday. Apparently he had been contacted by someone in Bodrum offering him a job.  Mr A wanted to know if this was a definite offer as the man insisted he needed to see him on Friday.  He said that he needed Mr A to sign a contract, etc, so one would have thought that it was genuine.

You may by now guess what's coming next.  On Friday morning, early, Mr A phoned the man to confirm the time for their appointment, only to be informed that the job had been given to someone else.   So all that way on the motorbike for nothing.  Thankfully Mr A had not quit the job in Kas, but had just said that he had to make a trip home to deal with a family matter.  He has learned well.  You have to keep all options open.

So he made use of the time to secure the fencing around the dogs area at the back of the house, as Blondie has been managing to get out for two nights running, which makes the others bark, and keeps me awake all night.  The motorbike insurance is due for renewal, and Mr A's friend at an oto galeri offered to sort it out for him. It takes a bit of time, and Mr A was anxious to get back to Kas, so the friend has lent him a car to use until the next time he comes home.  At least his return journey was a bit safer.

He also dropped off some more dried dog food to the man at the industrial estate who is feeding the dogs, and also to the man who has the mum and pups.  They are all doing fine.

It seems likely that Mr A will remain in Kas for the summer, and I have no idea when, or if, I will see him during that time.  Unless someone who he knows, who can be trusted, actually provides a genuine job offer in Bodrum in the meantime.

I have had problems with my internet connection for a week.  Continually cutting out.  I phoned TTNet customer service in Istanbul every day, sometimes twice.  Each time it's the same story.  We will report it to the engineers and they will call you.  They never do.   Finally, on Friday evening when Mr A had arrived back in Kas, he phoned an engineer in TTNet in Milas who he knows quite well.

This man came out to the house yesterday.  Checked all the wires outside.  Cut and reconnected and replaced some of them.  Finally making a cover to protect the wires from the rain from a small empty plastic water bottle.   Isn't Turkish technology wonderful?

So far it's improved.  I've lost connection briefly only twice in 24 hours.  Apparently he will call back in a few days, check the wiring again, and also the wires in the house.

We had a lot of rain yesterday.  It's great for the garden, but today the sun is out and it looks like this recent bout of bad weather just might be at an end.  And I'm off now to sit in the sunshine with my coffee.

12 comments:

  1. I wish Mr. A could get something nearer to home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crossing all fingers, legs, eyes and anything else that Mr A finds something better and nearer soon, Ayak. Let's home at least that the internet connection stays open and working. Hope it's stopped raining now too. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything crossed here too Annie. A rain-free day yesterday and internet still working (although has briefly cut out a couple of times) xx

      Delete
  3. How you refrain from murdering that pest in Bodrum is beyond me....or is he saved by the transport problem...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where would I start Helen? There's a queue of them I'd like to get my hands on. Good job I don't have transport!

      Delete
  4. ahhh...I was sad to read that Mr. A made the ride home only to find out that the job was given away. Can' t rely on anyone...but the good thing is that at least you got to see him.
    Enjoy your coffee out in the sunshine.......I'll hope the best for Mr. A. I asked my husband if he knew anyone in your neck of the woods to maybe get him some sort of job...but he said he's not familiar with that area where you live...and has only been there once. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was thoughtful of you to ask your husband Erica. Thankyou.

      AND he arrived back home again yesterday, quite unexpectedly. He was in a quite depressed mood and not up to talking, and went straight to sleep, and has slept now for 13 hours! I just left him to it.No doubt I'll find out more this morning.

      Delete
  5. I don't know how you and Mr A cope with such thoughtlessness and unreliability where job offers are concerned, Ayak. At least there were some useful things he could do around the house before making the long trek back. I'm now hoping everything is OK with him and he's just very tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just exhaustion I think Perpetua. He's working today. I'll blog about it later x

      Delete
  6. This is so unfair.....but you are both clearly so used to such things happening that you almost expect them. Thinking of you as always...... its funny, I've stopped being cross about the barking dogs that live across the valley from us here in Caunes. In fact, I look to see what they might be barking at when I hear them now...wondering if they have seen something I should look out for.....sanglier ? and not too far from us, wolves that have been reintroduced into the wild ! ( actually, that is quite a way from us...but you never know ) Take care. Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is unfair sometimes Janice, but worse things happen to others, so we don't dwell on all this. Maybe those dogs have seen wild boar? We have them here, but they tend not to be on the hills behind the house but mostly on the flat farming land leading out of the village. I hear shotguns at night from the farmers getting rid of them (not nice to hear, but this is the way of life here). Sorry am late publishing and replying to your comment. Internet problems, and just about to do another post while I'm still connected! xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x