Monday, 30 June 2014

Acting on impulse

I used to be quite impulsive, but as I've got older I have found myself stopping to consider pros and cons before taking any action.

I have to admit that I have never liked tattoos.  Years ago, tattoos were just for men, and usually consisted of something like a heart and flowers and the name of their loved one.   A bit unfortunate if the loved one at the time was subsequently replaced.  

In recent years it seems fashionable for men to be practically covered in tattoos.  Although I think David Beckham is lovely, I really don't like the enormous number of tattoos he has on his body.

Women have also been getting tattoos for some years now, and again I think a lot of them are quite awful.  Occasionally though, I see a small one on a woman and it is well done and very tasteful.

You probably know where this is leading by now.  Yesterday I caught a bus over to the salon where Mr A is working.  I was picking up a couple of sweatshirts from the shop next door to put aside for my grandsons when I visit in October.   It was early and the salon wasn't busy, and I got chatting to the guy who does the tattoos.  He is very experienced and I have seen the results of his work.  His room is also extremely hygienic and so is he. 

And...all of a sudden...I acted on impulse and decided to get one.  In a way I think I might have been rebelling against getting older...it's my birthday next week, and yet another reminder that the years are slipping away.

It's just a tiny butterfly on the side of my wrist in my favourite colours of green and yellow.  The picture makes it look bigger than it is. It's very small, it's just that trying to use a camera with one hand while trying to focus on the tattoo resulted in a close-up.





I sent the photo to my daughter half expecting her to disapprove of my doing something so frivolous at my age, but her response was "Yay...go mummy...I love it".   So that's OK then.

It didn't hurt at all when I had it done, but it feels sore today.  This is normal and the healing process can take a few weeks.  The tattoo artist has given me good instructions on how to keep it clean and a pot of special post-tattoo cream to apply every day.  I didn't realise there was so much involved with the aftercare.  I don't know how these heavily tattooed people cope. 

I won't be attempting any more, but I absolutely love this one and am very glad I acted on impulse.


(If anyone is visiting Gumbet, Bodrum and would like a tattoo done by a good artist in hygienic conditions, here is the artist's Facebook page   https://www.facebook.com/pages/tattoo-by-mrprof/187299224665180?fref=ts )

16 comments:

  1. Great stuff Ayak. It looks great. I have never fancied one myself, but love my daughter Jess's one. It says " Stay glorious" in a tastefully small font, on the inside of her upper arm.... the last words my dad spoke to her before he died. How could I not approve ? Anyway, I love yours...and the colours are great. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... Jess's tattoo. A lasting memory. That's lovely xx

      Delete
  2. You say you won't have another one BUT, the next time you are passing, you might decide the butterfly needs a flower to perch on. You are very brave. I am too much of a wimp to even think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no no BtoB. One tattoo is enough. I always imagined I would be a wimp if I ever considered getting one but surprisingly it didn't hurt at all. Really. Yes it's a bit sore now, but just feels like a slight touch of sunburn. I'm very happy with it xx

      Delete
  3. 'Leo's father said 'Never get a tattoo, it makes it too easy foir the police....' but no worries of that sort for you....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he did have a point of course. No I hope I don't have to worry about this! xx

      Delete
  4. I think yours is very pretty, Ayak, and I admire you for following your impulse, but I'm afraid I won't be joining you. Like BtoB, I'm too much of a wimp. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also a wimp Perpetua and if I hadn't decided on the spur of the moment, I would never have done it. It didn't hurt at all...honestly.

      Delete
  5. Although I don't normally go for tattoos, I must admit that this one is really lovely so the impulsive act paid off. I think it's very tasteful.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie. I'm really not a big fan of tattoos, but very pleased with this one xx

      Delete
  6. I think its lovely - beautiful colours. Yay, go Ayak!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been a lover of tattoos, but isn't it strange...I have been thinking about getting one myself recently! I don't know why and I don't know if I'll actually do it but it has been going through my mind and I have been noticing them on other people - good for you! Enjoy...just don't let it become an obsession..Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have summed up exactly how I have always felt Annie, and also that I had been thinking about it recently. This is an absolute one-off, and will never become an obsession I can assure you! xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x