Pages

Friday, 27 June 2014

Neutering...it's a must!

We all know that there are far too many dogs out on the streets of this country.  It is something that distresses me every day of my life.  As you already know I have 9 dogs  that I have rescued.  They are now happy, well fed and safe.   We also take responsibility for other strays in our area, as do many other volunteers in other parts of Turkey.

We feed them during the winter months, when food is scarce, and have also encouraged the locals to feed them during the summer months.  This (touch wood) is working so far. 

We are also aware that by law the vets employed by the local councils have a responsibility to spay and neuter street dogs.  Those of you involved in animal rescue and welfare here, will know only too well that many of these vets do not implement the TNR (Trap, Neuter and Release) programme.  Our council vet is a difficult man to tie down.  We only managed to get two female dogs spayed by him during the winter, in spite of the fact that he had promised to do one a week.  Constant badgering has made no difference, and because Mr A is now working an average of 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, he doesn't have the time to fight this battle.  It is something that he will start again in earnest once the summer season is finished.

Today my friend David collected me and Melek and took us to my vet Mehmet's clinic for Melek to be spayed.  We waited around in 40 degrees heat for the operation to be completed,then collected her and brought her home.  As usual, a huge thankyou to David for all his help.

 I found Melek a coolish spot in the house and she slept off the anaesthetic.  It's actually not cool anywhere in the house to be honest, and my aircon (which I rarely use) is not working...just when I need it!

Around 4pm, Melek got up and made her way to the door.  I let her out and she went to the toilet.  Chas and Dave, who normally jump all over her, were incredibly gentle with her, as were Monty and Tommy.  It never fails to amaze me how sensitive these animals are, and it's a real joy to watch them all treading carefully around Melek and kissing her.  Her appetite is unaffected and she has eaten her dinner.  She shows no signs of wanting to come back into the house and appears perfectly happy to be outside with her brothers.

Seven of my nine dogs have now been spayed or neutered.  Chas and Dave are next on the list and will be done in approximately a month's time. 

Spaying and neutering makes a big difference: Just one unaltered female dog and her offspring can produce 67,000 puppies in only six years.  It comes as a bit of a shock doesn't it?   My advice to anyone adopting a dog....please get them neutered...apart from keeping down the population, the procedure also prevents all sorts of illnesses in later life.

Having paid the vet today and also stocked up with 4 sacks of dried food, my dog fund is now exhausted.  Apart from the two neutering ops now required for Chas & Dave, I am anxious to start building up the fund for the feeding programme which will start again in October.  Please help if you can.  Every donation, no matter how small, really helps. (You'll find the Paypal button at the top of the page).   Thankyou.


Read more: http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-animal-issues/overpopulation/spay-neuter/#ixzz35qlRd7Ew

12 comments:

  1. We have never kept an unneutered animal (in our case cats), Ayak, and I think those who do, unless for specific breeding purposes, are totally irresponsible. I'm glad Melek is recovering well from her op, despite the gruelling heat you're suffering. As for David, he's a star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about being responsible Perpetua. In this country in particular, the problem will just get worse unless local authorities start taking it seriously and adhere to the law.

      David is indeed a star!

      Delete
  2. Bravo to David! So frustrating that the people don't see it an obligation to protect their city the animals. Stray animals can contain lots of diseases. One would think that they wouldn't like having all the dogs just run around on the streets. I think it is probably the same in Italy though as we so so many stray dogs near our hotel last time in Rome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid there are just so many countries with the same problem Kelleyn. Some of these have appalling methods for dealing with it. People have to start looking at the bigger picture and realise that although it won't happen overnight, neutering will solve the problem in the long term.

      Delete
  3. glad Melek is recovering well :) getting Boncuk done was the first thing we done once we realised she was in fact a girl (ha!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adopting a street dog and taking full responsibility for it is what it's all about Danni. I wish those who don't rescue a dog from the streets could perhaps just take one dog to a vet and get it neutered, then put it back on the streets. It would make such a difference.

      Delete
  4. I hope Melek is continuing to recover well... you are doing some amazing work Ayak. You should be so proud. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice, you would never know that Melek had an op yesterday. She is completely back to normal. I think spaying young helps them to recover very quickly. And the scar is so neat, almost invisible...good job by Mehmet again xxx

      Delete
  5. Stray dogs used to be a big problem here...but there was a campaign about animal welfare in the schools not long after we moved here, and help to set up cheap and clean neutering clinic sessions and the number of strays has been reduced.

    The local pet shop is great about rehoming street dogs....the lady running it puts out food and water and badgers good customers to find homes for the dogs who turn up.
    I notice too that all the butchers have their 'regulars' who appear for their scraps - scraps I wouldn't turn my nose up at for soup!

    There are always irresponsible people....but education has really made a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen it's really heartwarming to learn how things have improved for the dogs in CR. It really is all about education isn't it? Something that really has to be worked on here xx

      Delete
  6. neutering of all pets is essential, I think. I've always done this for my pets that I ever had.
    I do miss not having any.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you do Maggie, but you have very good reasons for not having pets now xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x