Friday, 6 June 2014

Sofa Stories

Not a particularly interesting topic, but as I haven't posted for a week, I had to think of something to write about.

We don't buy furniture very often.  In fact we have mostly bought secondhand items over the years, renovated them or cleaned them up and with a bit of imagination made a comfortable home.  The last time we bought a new sofa was about 12 years ago when we lived in Cappadocia.  In fact we bought a set...a three seater which converted into a double bed, a two seater, and two armchairs.  Even then I searched out a bargain.  This set was in a terracotta colour, very plain, and had sat in the shop for some time.   Turkish taste in sitting furniture is quite the opposite to mine.  They tend to like very bright colours, lots of flowers...the brighter the better.  So we managed to get this quite unelaborate set for half price.

It has served us well over the years, until we started taking in more dogs.   Our sitting room is quite small and couldn't accommodate the whole set, so the two seater sofa ended up on the balcony.  One day Blondie took a shine to it so we allowed her to sleep on it.  One morning however we woke up to find she had ripped the stuffing out of the seat.  I repaired as best I could, and around about this time Mr A made the  bedroom for the four big dogs out in the old house in the garden.  We moved the sofa out there, where Blondie and Freddie had great fun removing more stuffing from it.  One of the matching armchairs soon joined the sofa and ended up the same way.

We had two sofa beds which were left here by my father-in-law and these were in our spare bedroom.  We eventually bought another double bed to replace these, so one was moved out to the dogs bedroom and the other on to the balcony.  Eventually the dogs wrecked the sofa bed.  The one on the balcony is still fine, but only Monty and Tommy are allowed on the balcony so it has stayed in one piece.  The dogs bedroom however now consists of two large pallets made by Mr A which are covered in old blankets and towels.  These get chewed from time to time, but are easier to replace.

So our sitting room now had just one sofa and one armchair, plus a completely different chair which I bought from my friend Gwen in Selcuk.

My dream was to have an L-shaped sofa, but they are very expensive, and way down on our list of priorities.  Last week I was browsing through a Facebook page set up by people living in the Bodrum area to sell and buy household goods. I spotted an L-shaped sofa in a light tan colour and fell in love with it.  It was being sold, along with other household furniture, by an English lady moving back to the UK.  It was priced at 450 lira  (approx. £130).  The make is Istikbal, which is good quality.

I wanted this sofa badly but wasn't sure whether we would be able to get it over to our house.  I phoned the lady and she thought we might be able to use a van and driver being hired by another friend of hers to move furniture to Mumcular.  It wasn't to be,  the man was just too expensive.  However, Mr A managed to find a friend with a van who would charge much less but Mr A would have to help him move it.   Mr A doesn't finish work until around midnight, but the lady selling the sofa didn't mind it being collected so late.

It arrived at the house at around 2am.  The old sofa was taken outside, the armchair found a spot on our bedroom, and the new sofa moved into the sitting room.  After coffee, Mr A and his friend set off back to Bodrum, and I pottered around putting things into place until 4.30am. No point in going to bed as the dogs have me up at 5am.

Now we have a lovely sofa and I am so happy with it that I have to keep standing and gazing at it.  It is now a completely dog-free zone!

10 comments:

  1. That looks distinctly swish!

    I can't wait until we move uphill so that I can abandon the hideous sofa and chairs which the last owner left behind and which Higher Authority refused to replace on the grounds that the dogs would wreck anything good.
    Well, they've occupied them, puppies have teethed on the arms, but the so and so things are indestructible!...But I blowed if they are moving with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the hazards of having dogs Helen. It's sods law that something you hate is so indestructible. I think the move to the new house is the perfect excuse to get a new one xx

      Delete
  2. I love your sofa stories, Ayak and I love bargains too. I think you have now found a lovely sofa that deserves being gazed at! Enjoy. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can sniff out a bargain from miles away Annie! It is lovely isn't it? Just gazing at it again right now xxx

      Delete
  3. It looks great, and I am sure will be so comfortable.... and there is something great about prolonging the life of "stuff" isn't there. Dog damage is just one of those things you have to live with when you have dogs. We lost one sofa, a couple of rugs and....3 doors to the tumble dryer and several cat flaps. Lucy, our springer spaniel used to just thrust her head through the cat flap to check out what was going on outside....and the hinge would snap....again. As for the dryer door.....the manufacturer must have wondered what on earth we were doing to it, as we had to keep phoning them to seek replacement doors. I also somehow always just shrugged when the cats used to claw at sofas, and almost shred the wood on a kitchen dresser....its their home too ! However, we are animal free now......and furniture last longer !!!! Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can see you know exactly what I mean Janice! And did I say the sofa area was a dog free zone now? That didn't last long. Monty decided he would love to spread out on the pouffe yesterday and do a bit of grooming, ie wash his paws. Now covered in dribble and dogs hairs...ah well it was nice while it lasted!

      Delete
  4. Love your sofa adventures....but glad it all turned out well. The sofa looks great. I know what you mean with having pets and furniture. When we had other dogs they weren't a problem but with the Siberian Husky we had to block the living room off and family room off and den room off because if she saw any sofa well...you know she was mad we left her at home and would rip it apart......Enjoy your new couch.
    take care..XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the risks we take with dogs Erica. Some chew and some don't. I'm very pleased with the sofa. It's very comfortable xx

      Delete
  5. I love your new sofa, Ayak. Very smart and comfortable-looking. If youy can just manage to keep the diogs that chew away from it, it should give you many years of service.

    We've never had dogs, but used to get some scratch marks from the cats when the weather was too bad for them to go out and roam around as they preferred to do. Like Janice, we no longer have animals as our lifestyle isn't conducive to it, but one day when I'm old, I'll have cats again and blow the furniture. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's unfair to have dogs or cats when you travel so much, for them and for you. They need stability and it's a big commitment.

      Monty and Tommy have to pass the sofa on their way out of the house. They stop and gaze at it, but I move them along quickly! xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x