Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Summer routine

I hate the heat of summer here.  Today the temperature has reached 37 degrees C, and it will only get hotter from now on.

It's becoming impossible to move around during the day. Popping outside to clean up after the dogs takes all my energy.  My hands are even sweating typing this post.

Since taking in 9 dogs I've had to make some adjustments to my sleep pattern anyway.  They do tend to bark sometimes during the night if they hear a noise or see a cat or fox.  It's fair enough.  They are very protective of our territory, and I can't complain.  It means that I try to take a nap during the day to make up for loss of sleep.

This week I've taken it a step further and am now in a different routine for the rest of the hottest months of summer.

Things that need to be done have to be undertaken very early while it's still relatively cool.  This morning I was awake at 4.15am.  I logged onto the internet for half an hour.    I fed the dogs, cleaned up their areas (poo patrol as Mr A and I call it).    I then turned on the hosepipe to water the garden.   I'm a good multi-tasker and whilst watering I check on the tomato plants and the melons that are coming along nicely.   Some of the tomatoes at the bottom of the plants have started to turn red but they are also rotting very quickly.  The ones nearer the top are fine.  So this morning I picked all the green ones from the bottom of the plants, plus some ripe ones which were OK for eating.

Next job was to sweep and wash the balcony and sweep the driveway, then refill the dogs' water containers. 

Into the kitchen to cook a kilo of pasta for the dogs, and to chop up all the green tomatoes, a couple of onions and peppers and put into a pan with vinegar to make chutney. I put some clean jars in the oven to sterilise and  left the chutney to simmer on the stove while I loaded up the washing machine and got on with the housework.

On previous days this week I picked some plums from a tree in the garden which doesn't provide enough fruit to make jam, but did enable me to make six individual plum pies, which I've put in the freezer.  I also pickled a red cabbage, and 2 kilos of onions.

Believe it or not, all these chores are completed before 8am, by which time the sun is starting to beat down.  I can manage 10 minutes out on the balcony with a coffee before I have to retreat to the bedroom which is the coolest room in the morning.  I move to the sitting room late afternoon after the sun has moved round.

I do pop out a few times during the day to refill the dogs' water bowls.  When it isn't so hot, I like to spend time playing with them, but in this heat they (and I) don't have the energy.  They just find the coolest spots and sleep.  I am now getting two naps during the day and am in bed by 10pm at the latest.

And the next day at 5am it starts all over again.  Roll on September!

15 comments:

  1. It isn't usually so hot here in the dry season - luckily - but, like you, I get the routine over as early as possible so that I'm not slogging along in the heat of the day.
    In the rainy season - now - it's the same thing for a different reason....get it all over before the rain starts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that I have always been a morning person Helen. I don't know if you're the same? Whatever the time of year I tend to get chores done early in the morning....although not quite so early as at present!

      Delete
  2. I was melting in just a few days of 34 last week, so I cant imagine how it must feel to know you have weeks and weeks ahead of you in those scorching temperatures. Its back down under 30 again here now, and that is how i like it. I guess the dogs are shattered as well, when it is that hot. I do like the idea of knowing where you are sitting in the afternoon, though.....on that lovely new sofa. I hope youve got lots of books to read as you wait for the evening to get cooler. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd love it if the temperature stayed below 30 Janice. I think I could cope with that. I do indeed have a stack of books ready to read, but the new sofa is so comfortable I find myself napping instead! xx

      Delete
  3. Ayak, I've been very busy today in temperatures which were only in the low 20s and it was quite hot and tiring enough for me. I really don't know how you cope with such heat. Take care and grab your sleep when you can. I gather the heatwave stretches right round the Mediterranean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Perpetua, these temperatures are all around the Mediterranean it seems. I'm so tired today as something had the dogs barking all last night so no sleep for me. I am determined to catch up today though as I want to stay up late to watch the England v Uruguay match tonight x

      Delete
  4. Oh my.....I'll be in Izmir in August, I'm dreading it now when I read how hot it is there already. i just hope they will have an air conditioner somewhere.....We were a bit humid here for a few days then yesterday from Nebraska a storm came here bring a tornado and thundering storms and heavy rain....hate those tornados!!!! luckily we only got an end of it....
    You sure have a routine going on.....everyday. Those dogs sure are lucky.
    Take care and keep cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Izmir in August will certainly be very hot Erica. The cities are always hotter aren't they? Glad you're safe after the tornado, and hopefully no more flooding! x

      Delete
  5. I think the sofa with a book is the best option for most of the day. Unfortunately I don't get up early so I don't get much done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I wouldn't get up quite so early if I had a choice :-)

      Delete
  6. Hello, I am trying to find an English speaking vet in or around Milas and google has led me here! Does anybody know of one? I am trying to get a family of stray cats spayed. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine. Mehmet Sonkul is the vet I use in Milas. His telephone number is 0252 513 7166. Mobile no 0532 5419613. He speaks some English and understands if you don't speak too quickly! Hope that helps x

      Delete
    2. Oh and perhaps mention that you got his name and number from me...Linda Kaya x

      Delete
  7. 4.15 is terribly early but I can see why you have to do it. That heat would finish me off!
    I thought 6.15 was early but you beat me to it!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ridiculously early Maggie, but needs must!xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x