Friday, 11 July 2014

Making plans

Thanks to the donations that have come in this week, due to my pleas for help, I am now in a position to start making plans.  A couple more people have set up monthly payment plans with Paypal  now giving me a total of £45 each month .  This is so useful in enabling me to budget for food and other treatments.  Together with the individual donations,  the pressure has been lifted for a while.  Thankyou all so much.

A Facebook friend called Liz contacted me to put me in touch with a lady called Linda who organises a group of expats in Bitez to raise money to provide help for the dogs in their area.  They have books and jumble sales through the winter, and try to get as many dogs neutered as possible.  The group kindly donated 250 lira to my fund.   Liz has also made a suggestion about sponsoring some of my street dogs for neutering...in particular spaying the females, which is most important.  I will provide photos of the dogs, and she will try to raise the cost of spaying with our vet.  I think we agree that trying to get the Belediye (council) vets to spay and neuter is just not working, so something has to be done to help with the ever-increasing dog population on the streets.

Finding the dogs, taking photos, gathering them up to get to the vets is a bit of a problem at the moment, so this may have to wait until the end of the season when Mr A will be here, with the car, and we can do this together.  We also have to fit in with Mehmet the vet's busy schedule, but at least we will hopefully be provided with the money to get as many done as possible during the winter months.

A lady called Lenny who lives in Gulluk also contacted me and she drove over to see me yesterday afternoon, with her lovely dog Toffee.  Poor boy was a bit overwhelmed by all of my dogs so stayed on the balcony with us.  We tried to have a reasonable conversation, interspersed with barking from the pups, who really would have loved Toffee to go down to the driveway and play with them.  Lenny has also offered to help with transport, and this will be useful for vets visits and collecting sacks of food.  She also has lots of other good ideas, and we will meet up again and discuss some more.

I am going down into the village each day to take more food for the dogs, and to check on the water bowls.  Sometimes they are filled, and sometimes not.  I don't expect the people of the village to be as conscientious about filling them as I am, but I appreciate it when they do remember.  I've also posted on the village Facebook page to ask people not to remove the bowls, to fill them if and when they can. But also not to be afraid of the dogs, because as long as they are fed and have water they will do no harm.

It's difficult to know the best time to go to the village.  I have been down around 5.30 in the morning when no-one is about, but the dogs don't appear.  I wish I could whistle, because this is what Mr A does and they all appear.  I can see some in the distance but they don't come when I call.  However, the next time I go down, the food has disappeared so clearly they are eating it.

This morning I went down at 6 am and realise this isn't a good time because there are people waiting to be picked up by transport to go to jobs outside the village, and the dogs will not come out while they are around.  So obviously earlier than this is best.

Finally an appointment has been made to neuter the last of my 9 dogs, Chas and Dave.  Lenny would have helped me with transport for this, but Mr A phoned yesterday to say that he was able to come home this evening.  He contacted Mehmet who has agreed to do the ops  around 9.30pm. 

As usual, we have to get as much as possible done during Mr A's brief visits, so he will pick up the dogs and me, drop me at the supermarket in Milas to stock up with food.  He will then take the boys for their ops, and collect more bags of dogfood, after which he will pick me up from the supermarket.  Then home, put the two boys on the balcony, and I will stay awake tonight to keep an eye on them.

Without funds and offers of practical help, we wouldn't be in a position to make plans, so again my thanks to everyone who has supported me.  I am feeling a lot more optimistic today.

10 comments:

  1. You are really such a dedicated person and so are many others who are helping out.
    It would all overwhelm me but I guess we all react differently.

    Good for people like you. I do admire your courage and determination.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie I guess I'm not someone who could take easily to a relaxing retirement doing nothing. I'd be bored. I have to be doing something and it might as well be something I'm passionate about. I'd love to do a lot more, but at my age I know my limitations xx

      Delete
  2. That does sound so very much more positive, Ayak, and it will be good when your last two have had their ops and recovered. As you say, neutering is the important thing and if you have to choose, then the females must come first. The help from the expat group is really encouraging. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is encouraging Perpetua, and makes me feel more positive about what we are doing. Chas and Dave are back home now after their ops and are sleeping it off on the balcony. So that's all my 9 dogs unable to reproduce, thank goodness. I'm looking forward to the end of the season, to make a start on the street dogs.

      Delete
  3. So happy to read this news. Well done to all who are helping you financially and with transport. F.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a great help this week Fleur xx

      Delete
  4. Haven't popped in for a few days, so missed a couple of posts, but just wanted to wish you a belated Happy Birthday & to say I've sent you a small birthday gift (via paypal). Glad things don't seem so hopeless now. All the best. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi tricia and thanks for the birthday wishes. And thankyou very much for the donation, very gratefully received. (I've emailed you) xxx

      Delete
  5. I wish I were able to help but I donate to a few charities that involve children. I do admire your dedication and stamina. Best of luck in your endeavors and in educating those around you!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x