Pages

Sunday, 13 July 2014

One step forward and three back

My attempts to make the street dogs lives a little better is an uphill struggle.  Obstruction at every turn.

People in this village don't want them here, and they are making it difficult for me.

I have put 8 containers for water down in the village since last Sunday, and they either disappear or are broken.  

When I put food down for the dogs I get looks that could kill from the men in the teahouse.  I have tried to make people understand by posting on the village Facebook page that these dogs pose no threat.  They just need to be fed and given water.  I get approval from some, but those are the educated ones who have moved away from the village.  There is still so much ignorance amongst these people.

I am going down earlier each day to avoid people.  This morning at 5.15am before it was quite light.  The dogs are in the school playground, and this morning there was just one empty water container, which I filled.  The six puppies were there and 4 older dogs.  They are afraid of people and run and hide when anyone approaches.  I am starting to gain their trust.  I move very slowly, and put down the food and gradually they come out.

Even though it was early I was passed by two farmers on tractors setting off to work.  They both glared at me, but I held my head high and carried on feeding the dogs.  Mr A is not happy about my going down into the village so early.  He says people can't be trusted and he is concerned for my safety.  I have to admit that I do feel intimidated, and I will go down later tomorrow when there are more people about.  The dogs won't appear then of course, but I'll leave food and water, and they can come out when they feel safe.

Before the local elections Mr A was talking to the Belediye manager who had mentioned the possibility of a shelter being built on the other side of the hill behind our house, well away from the village.  It could of course have been pre-election talk, but when Mr A has time (which is rare) he is going to try to contact the Governor of Mugla Province to see whether this is a possibility.  It would certainly solve a lot of problems.

Closer to home, Chas and Dave were both neutered on Friday evening.  Mr A collected me and the pups at 8.30pm.  He dropped me off at a supermarket to get shopping and took the pups to Mehmet's clinic for their ops.  He also collected 4 more sacks of dog food, and picked me up at the supermarket. 

I put the boys on the balcony to recover, and their sister Melek was so anxious to see them that I let her on to the balcony too.  She was very gentle with them so I decided to leave the balcony gate open so that she could come and go throughout the night.  I slept on the sofa next to the balcony window.  Although I should say, attempted to sleep, because I constantly got up to check on them.

At around 2.30am I went out on the balcony to see how they were, to find Melek on the sofa, and the two boys down in the driveway playing.  A remarkable recovery.  They ate breakfast in the morning and are absolutely back to normal now.

The three pups have outgrown their Paraband collars so I will have to get more on Monday from Mehmet, and settle up the bill for the two operations and food.   I will also be collecting booster vaccinations for Freddie, which are now due.   Thanks to recent donations, I don't have the usual worry about how I can find the money to pay for all this.  I am so grateful to all those who have helped, and anyone who wishes to help me continue with my work will find the Paypal button at the top of this page.





12 comments:

  1. Difficult to educate people about the street dogs Linda and bravo for you for trying.
    When Mr. A comes back, he will sort them out, but they should not be intimidating you.
    Did you read that horror story in Cyprus?
    Human beings are getting worse, decent people now seem to be in the minority.
    I fear for the future of mankind and more so for the animal kingdom.
    Sorry to be so negative, I do really want to be more positive.
    F.xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleur I worry that the attitude towards the street animals is getting worse rather than better. No-one is interested in trying to do something about it. The Belediye vets are not doing the job they are paid to do, ie trap, neuter and release, which is still the law. Yes, it's difficult to remain positive at times. xx

      Delete
  2. It does sound slightly better than your title but may be you're playing things down...I hope Mr A has some luck in persuading those with some influence. When we return from the Uk next week, I shall be making arrangements for Pip to have his operation too, so I'm so glad to hear that Chas and Dave have made such a rapid recovery. After all his leg suffering, I postponed the op for a month...he's still only just 7 months old so no problems expected.
    Keep up the good work but do take care... Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the pups are almost 6 months old Annie, so not much younger than Pip, and they recovered so quickly. I'm sure it will be the same for Pip. I hope his leg is much better now. (I will take care...I promise) xxx

      Delete
  3. It most be so dispiriting for you, Ayak, particularly after the progress you seemed to be making with the elderly man who would put out water for the dogs. Certainly a proper shelter away from the village would help enormously, so I do hope Mr A is able to follow up this possibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he'll do what he can Perpetua, when he finds time, which is difficult at the moment. It would be the perfect solution to the local problem, but even if they agree to build a shelter, it will take time no doubt. Fingers crossed anyway. xx

      Delete
  4. It is dreadful when you have to deal with ignorant, prejudiced people...and, as so often, people with anything about them have left the village to be able to live a better life - happens everywhere, unfortunately.
    Fingers crossed for the shelter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prejudice and ignorance is of course far worse in these villages Helen. Sometimes, as I've mentioned before, I think we have made a breakthrough, but it doesn't seem to last.

      Delete
  5. It must be so difficult living around such cruel people who are not open to understanding animals' needs.
    You are so kind but don't put yourself in danger.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more frustrating than anything else Maggie xx

      Delete
  6. Most election promises seem to have been forgotten just 4 months on. I hope but have little faith that a shelter will be built. It takes a lot of dedicated volunteers to make them work properly, like the one in Bodrum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much faith that it will happen either BtoB. xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x